Sign in to follow this  
frenchcamper

Dometic RMS8551 constantly running

Hi

My fridge is running costantly. It is the same on gas or electric. I can see that there is only one temperature sesor attached to the metal cooling fins. I tried disconnecting the sensor and the temp control leds flash. I tried closing  the connectors but it made no difference. Is there anything else that I can check ? If not, I guess the only option is to replace the complete control panel.

Any advice please.

Constantly running ? It's a absorption fridge .

Dave

This problem only started about 10 days ago, but it is using gas constantly rather than cutting on and off. Same on electric. 

45 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Constantly running ? It's a absorption fridge .

Dave

Ours cuts in an out to maintain the temperature?

Until my present 'van the fridges have always run constantly (when on gas) & hence the need to set the consumption amount as required. My 1yo Swift is a different matter as it's auto lighting for the gas & I've noticed it switch on & off on it's own. Quite disconcerting until I was informed by a fellow camper that 'it's supposed to do that'.

If it's running continuously, it must be very cold by now.  If not, you may be losing some of the refrigerant.  Are the cooling fins and pipes at the back hot?

This seems strange to me. We had put some frozen items in the freezer box, which we don't normally use, and the fridge has been running constantly. Ice  forms on the fins of the freezer compartment.  A 13kg gas lasting only about 9 days. We have now emptied the freezer and the fridge appears to be working normally.