Jacko1

Cordless Drill

Decided to get lazy and use a drill to wind steadies up and down. Have got a big heavy drill which does the job more than good enough but OH needs to use two hands to hold it up as its that heavy and Im a bit worried it might jam and turn the drill and hurt her wrists. Have got a smaller one as well but that's just not man enough.

I can use the bigger one OK but am making sure OH wont hurt herself on the odd occasions she helps out.

What size / make do you guys use, or for those whose OH's help out from time to time.

Thanks

Martin 

A 14v small drill from Aldi\Lidl etc, works just fine for me, if the steadies need more than that then perhaps the threaded rod needs cleaning and lubricating, the steadies should move up and down with little resistance.

I've used a 18v aldi drill for the legs, but it can give you a decent whack on the nose when bending down doing the rear legs if you don't use two hands to hold it 😩

I use the cheapest own brand from any of the major retailers. It may only last half as long as a premium brand, but normally at only a quarter of the price. Just make sure the threads are well greased and you may need to loosen them off a bit first.

What I want to know is how do you get OH to wind legs up or down?

Same with emptying loo or waste- often see ladies doing the honours but I suspect we would have to give up caravanning if I couldn't do it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

What I want to know is how do you get OH to wind legs up or down?

Same with emptying loo or waste- often see ladies doing the honours but I suspect we would have to give up caravanning if I couldn't do it.

Did say on the odd occasion!!, as for doing the loo, waste or water that apparently is an outside blue job, whilst jobs inside are pink jobs. Which makes me think I must be multi coloured (Is that PC?) when I make the first coffees of the day.

The only reason for asking is on the new van the legs must have a longer 'drop' and am guessing the thread must be less coarse, which seems to take more winding. Have already gone round and given them a good lubricate and accept that might have to give em a bit of tweak with the manual brace at times.

Mine an 18v Ryobi that I've had about  9 years, bought to do work in the house but now sits in the van for steady winder duties. However as the van is on the drive it also gets used for it's primary purpose of drilling holes and screwing screws. 

I just set the torque so that it doesn't wrench my hand off when the steady gets to the end if its travel

Does your original drill/driver not have a torque setting? Most half decent ones do and it’s a sure-fire way of preventing any nasty “twisting” injuries.

I have used a cheapie ALDI type drill in the past, never held enough charge (it was only 14v) so I now take my trusty De-Walt along. Holds oodles of charge AND has a torque setting facility .

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I have had a De-Walt for years and although it is rather heavy and powerful it has a torque setting which will stop it operating when steadies are wound down to your liking.

I've been using an Aldi one.Think it's 18 volt,adjustable torque settings,spare battery and complete with a carrying bag which is long enough to take the steady winding thingy as well.Cost 30quid.Came with some small drill bits and screwdriver bits as well.

• Like 1

OH tried a cheap drill but it wasn't man enough for the job so he took his big drill , does the job fine, but he says that time you get it out and set it up, he finds it easier and quicker  to use the brace. As for all the jobs, I can do them apart from putting the awning up on my own and as for the toilet, I've always done it.  I've just told OH what I said and his reply was that he's not wearing yellow gloves :P

Edited by joanie

Whats wrong with the manual winder supplied with the caravan?

Mine have worked for over 20 years never let me down

5 minutes ago, w44nty said:

Whats wrong with the manual winder supplied with the caravan?

Some of us struggle kneeling down and bending down. The drill is easier and quicker and like yours, has never let me down and can be worked one handed.

Have always used the good old-fashioned arm-wrenching winder-upper, don't use electric drills (I'm a girlie:D by the way).  I let OH do the toilet cassette.  That is one job I won't do at all:blink:.  I use the remote to move the caravan on its pitch.  OH doesn't get a look in on that one:D.  Oh, by the way, he drives.  If he was the passenger, he would have to navigate, and if that was to happen, we would drive from home, get on the M60 circular, and stay on it for 2 weeks, going round and round Manchester:ph34r:

I use a small 12V Lithium drill-driver by Parkside from Lidl  (model PABS 12 A1).  More than man enough for the steady winder job on the low speed setting.   The battery lasts an age too.  I use it for many jobs around the house too, as it's small and light.  Must be six years old by now.

I've been so impressed by that Parkside drill that I've bought other drills from their range.  Only downside is they keep changing the battery designs/voltages so they aren't interchangeable... but the low prices makes up for that.

I'd suspect poorly maintained steadies if a lot of force (torque) from a drill is needed to wind them up or down.

I use a Titan cordless drill from Screwfix. Chose one with hammer action so that I can use it around the house too. Plenty of power to drill into brick or concrete, but still controllable for use as a screwdriver and for he caravan steadies.

And it comes with two batteries.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908P?tc=GB1&ds_kid=92700022888075699&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgM7ZhIvQ4AIVQbDtCh0gxAGEEAQYAyABEgKI2_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 hours ago, WispMan said:

Some of us struggle kneeling down and bending down. 

And some of us are just too bone idle to use the hand winder  :rolleyes: !!!

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought a 18v li-on drill from aldi and it was so good that I bought a second, a week later and they had a 20v li-on hammer drill in a case with 2 batteries and charger, they're so good they've made my Makita's redundant :)

The day I can't wind my own steadies, by hand ,is the day I pack up.

geoff

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

If there is a tool to make life that little bit easier to my mind it makes sense to use it.

I COULD wind my steadies down (and up) by hand, I just choose not too.

Idle? What me?

Yes!! 

Andy

3 hours ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

I bet you said that about power steering as well.  I got my first cordless drill to wind down the steadies for convenience.  Now,  I need one because in the storage pitch the back ok of the van is so close to the fence I can’t use a hand winder. I did have a 14.4v drill from Alde I swapped this for a 20 v li on one from Alde its too powerful heavier much preferred the old drill.  

5 hours ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

I get that and we don't bother with them either. 

My dad - must be about 30 years ago - got one of the first (low power) battery drills and had a rod welded onto a socket for winding his steadies. Miles ahead of his time and used to love helping out others.

I inherited this tool and (once) tried it with a modern 18v makita, far too fierce IMO.

PS my wife does the winding - she's not got a clue about emptying the loo though and I know what job I'd prefer.

When I had a van that needed the steadies done by hand I used a small Bosch drill with a Li-on battery and it was well up to the job.

Still in the back of the car for any repairs.

Ian

Originally having a manually operated 4WD mover,  still have (my second one though ), I wanted a cordless drill to cope with the mover actuators.

Manually measured the torque,  doubled it and found a smallish Ryobi 18v unit to give the required effort.

12 years old now and on the second set of batteries.

Obviously finds the steadies a doodle and just have a torque setting set to prevent my girlfriend spinning around with it!

18 volt De Walt, nice compact and reliable, decent discounts regularly available