RWHB

Sites next to steam railways - suggestions please

Any good suggestions for the above?

Russ

Burrs caravan club site.  Station Campsite Carrog

• Like 1

Close to rather than "next to". The Watercress Line.

https://www.twohootscampsite.co.uk/

Quorn is a nice little place near Loughborough and handy for the Great Central Railway. There are a couple of CLs in the village. Can recommend Whatoff Lodge.

Broadway is right next to the new Broadway station on https://www.gwsr.com/

I have to declare an interest: Broadway is a completely new station that opened last Easter - though it looks completely like the original one that was there during the steam era - a great piece of work by some volunteers (including me :-))

The loo block is the old GWSR goods shed - the railway sold it when it was short of funds.  We'd love to buy it back, but the caravan club members are using it!

Loads of great walking in the area too - I often take the dog to Broadway tower, Hailes Abbey and Winchcombe.

image.png.508ca302e4ccb05ab1f9d97fe3b361b4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, svimes said:

Quorn is a nice little place near Loughborough and handy for the Great Central Railway. There are a couple of CLs in the village. Can recommend Whatoff Lodge.

Always on the look out for decent CLs and this one is very close to the railway if that's a priority.

Had a look on Google - as you do - and just one question please.

Are the 5 vans parked with their back up against the large shed with solar panels on the roof on the designated the CL pitches?   If that's the case, and since space between each van is approximately the width of each van, are cars parked in the hedged off area away from vans?  There looks to be a few cars there!

Geoff will be along shortly and he'll know the name of a CL site at Pickering 

3 minutes ago, Tigger said:

Broadway is right next to the new Broadway station on https://www.gwsr.com/

I have to declare an interest: Broadway is a completely new station that opened last Easter - though it looks completely like the original one that was there during the steam era - a great piece of work by some volunteers (including me :-))

The loo block is the old GWSR good

image.png.508ca302e4ccb05ab1f9d97fe3b361b4.pngimage.png.508ca302e4ccb05ab1f9d97fe3b361b4.png

image.png

Superb web site (so easy to navigate and clear to understand) and congratulations on your success.  :Thankyou:

• Like 2

For the Alresford end of the Watercress Line, again close to rather than next to is the Spinney Caravan Park.

Best Google for it, reviews etc but these are very positive.

For the Swanage railway there are Norden Farm, and  the C&CCs Corfe Castle sites, Norden in walking distance, the C&CCs a bit further away.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

And another steam enthusiast here!  Incredibly we've never done Broadway but hope to visit October half term.

Although I've never used them there are a few sites at Barrow on Soar and a couple at Cotes, while they're not exactly near to the line they are only a short drive away from the Great Central and quite close to the new bridge being built over the Midland main line linking both halves of the Great Central together again.  Avoid Proctors site at Barrow though.........

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/

Just spent a few moments going through my photos.  This was taken during the construction - to the left of the fence is the caravan club site, to the right is the railway.

image.thumb.png.e8612f541b3ca76961cf4c4b45a1209e.png

• Like 1

There is one right next to the Welsh Highland Railway. I have never been there but have seen it from the train.

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

It is a CS now, and a rally field which is highly popular.....owned by Colin Dove it is bang next door to Pickering Railway Station with the first crossing gates just outside the entrance..

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/northyorkshire/pickering/mountterrace

geoff

We visited Broadway for the first time this year, the railway wasn't running in January they don't start until March but what a fantastic job has been done on the new station, cant wait to revisit.

Ferry Meadows CMC has the Nene Valley running alongside its boundary, trains run most week ends.

There is also a few sites in Goodrington, South Devon (Beverley Park and Hoburne Devon) which overlook the Devon railway line from a distance.

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

https://theblackbullinnpickering.co.uk

They have a really good site behind the pub and the food is good in the pub . Only a few minutes from trains and used it myself last year for the railway .

https://www.blackbullcaravanpark.com

Dave

Ah but you don't get the sounds and smells of the locos as they wake up in the morning....and you don't have to find car parking either!

geoff

• Like 1

Not quite on topic but I watched 7029 Clun Castle go out of shed on load test last night . It ran through to Stratford on the North Warwicks Line and came back through Hatton reaching speeds on nearly 75mph. Next week evening trip from B,ham Moore St to Kidderminster Prime dining £180 pp Standard £80

Thanks Tigger for your work on getting the line at Broadway up and running. We visit the site twice a year (in fact we are here now) and have been following progress over the past 5/6 years. We saw our first steam train trundle along the line past the site last October and it was lovely to hear the whistle blowing as it approached. Well done to you and your fellow volunteers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevan said:

There is one right next to the Welsh Highland Railway. I have never been there but have seen it from the train.

Beddgelert Camping is perhaps the one referred to.

4 minutes ago, moorgate said:

I saw three when I did the train journey last year and not sure which your referring to if it is the one in the forest with its own station I read very bad reports on that one.  It seemed the owners had have a change of direction for the business and wanting not to do camping and caravanning but extend the wood cabin side. So I suggest reading the current reports for ones self.  The train passed another in a cutting can't remember the village name it has not had its station rebuilt and opened.  The third is I think where the trains pass.

17 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Probably, yes.

C&CC site at Ravensglass.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevan said:

I think that this is near Caernarfon.   I completely forgotten about this.  But it was the very first place we ever stayed when we got our first Caravan. 

Not railway but steam non the less.

On the weekend of 22nd/23rd June there is the Model Steam Road Vehicle Society's rally at the Tewkesbury rugby club, which happens to be right next door to a club site. The rally normally has a run around the caravan site with the charity buckets too.