Sign in to follow this  
tommac

Fortrose Bay, Scottish Highlands

Thinking of Fortrose Bay as a base for our first adventure. ( 70 odd miles away) The idea being 2 or 3 nights here , driving around the area on day trips (sans van) . Anyone been there? Is it a nice site with 2 active dogs?

thanks

Don't know it but it seems to get good reviews on UKCS

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

thanks-just found reviews--it`ll do for me :Thankyou:

We were there a couple of seasons ago. The site had just been taken over by new owners and had undoubtedly had a lot of effort put into improving it.  It is along the shore with many of the pitches actually shore side.  You are looking West towards Inverness so the sunsets can be special.

You can easily walk along to Chanonry Point which is the best place to spot the Moray Firth dolphins.  From our experience, just before high tide, particularly if there are small ships coming in is the best time for a display.  You can make it a circular walk by coming back along the eastern side of the Point as far as the other camp site and then cutting back across.  We are not dog owners but it seemed like good beaches and lots of room for them.

There is a reasonable selection of shops in Fortrose.   Cromarty is worth visiting with a good walk up onto the headland (The Sutors) that gives views over both the Cromarty and Moray Firth.   From the headland you can see all the rigs being serviced in the Cromarty Firth and the Cruise Ships visiting Invergordon - worth checking the visit schedules on line.

• Like 1

I realise I’m resurrecting an old thread here, but we’re booked to go to Fortrose Bay this year and wondered if anyone else had been and what you thought.

Ive only heard good things so far,

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

We stayed at Fortrose Bay last year. Wonderful. I went dolphin watching three or four times at Chanory Point just down the road. The tale end of my blog on our Scotland holiday has photos of the site and what we did in the areas  https://jennyandjohngocaravanning.wordpress.com/2019/05/24/scottish-highlands/

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com