Johnaldo

Caravan price increases

I was at a Bailey agent today and the salesman told me that prices are going up 3% on next Monday morning (25th Feb) … so if you're thinking of signing on the dotted line, then do so pretty sharpish (unless you don't mind spending an extra £600 on an average van!). I have a feeling that other manufacturers may be doing the same, to time with the end of the caravan show.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

You believed a salesman?  LOL!  :D

• Like 1

Oldest line in the salesman's book, "buy now before this fantastic offer ends"!

Sometimes it's even true!

caravans usually increase  in the autumn when the new models come out. 

Coachman prices go up next week too - after the show. 

The price is the one that the purchaser is willing to pay.

• Like 1

The ball is in the buyer's court. I you're not happy with the price --- Walk away.  The salesman will soon bring the price down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bessacarr425 said:

The ball is in the buyer's court. I you're not happy with the price --- Walk away.  The salesman will soon bring the price down. 

We were looking for a "new" car a while ago. Couldn't get the deal we wanted in the showroom, salesman said that was the best he could do so we walked away. Three hours later he rang us and told us that he had managed to get the price reduced by £1500. It does no harm to walk away, there are plenty of car and caravan dealers out there ;)

• Like 3

Same happened to me with my new car. Got a price on carwow which was £2,500 cheaper than my local dealer but was at the other end of the country. Told the local dealer I was willing to travel, suddenly they price matched...

2 minutes ago, Ledzep said:

Same happened to me with my new car. Got a price on carwow which was £2,500 cheaper than my local dealer but was at the other end of the country. Told the local dealer I was willing to travel, suddenly they price matched...

There is a global glut of new cars at the moment so the buyer is in a strong position.  In the UK it may have something to do with taxes etc and emission controls.  The road tax on our 1996 Corolla 1.3l petrol auto started at £120 a year in 2012 and is now £150.  We are wondering when it is going to end, but why get a rid of a perfectly reliable car to spend thousands of your savings or get into debt for a new car?

My latest car is the first one bought new, previous have been at least three years old. I have always run them in to the ground basically, and will probably do the same with this one, but having bought new I'm spoiled and will buy new again when the time comes, yeah and I've heard all the arguments about losing thousands as soon as its driven off the forecourt, doesn't matter... 

Just now, Ledzep said:

My latest car is the first one bought new, previous have been at least three years old. I have always run them in to the ground basically, and will probably do the same with this one, but having bought new I'm spoiled and will buy new again when the time comes, yeah and I've heard all the arguments about losing thousands as soon as its driven off the forecourt, doesn't matter... 

You just cannot beat the smell and satisfaction of buying a brand new car that no one else has owned:D Enjoy it

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, matelodave said:

You just cannot beat the smell and satisfaction of buying a brand new car that no one else has owned:D Enjoy it

...yup!!

Expecting a euro / pound difference would be my guess to have a midseason price increase .

After the vote and I ordered my European motorhome it went up 10% the year after and the manufacturers warned of a 5% possible increase if the euro rate changed midseason . I saved £10k by ordering it a year in advance .

Remember majority of the components in a caravan or motorhome come from Europe so any rate of exchange will effect the prices and knock on to secondhand prices .

Dave

20 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Remember majority of the components in a caravan or motorhome come from Europe so any rate of exchange will effect the prices and knock on to secondhand prices .

Dave

Are you sure as a lot of the materials come from the Far East and many components could be household domestic items?

I never bother with price rise on caravan or car in the last 15 years I am now on my 4th new caravan and in the last 30 years I am on my 22nd new vehicles the way I do it is simply how much is it going to cost to change if the price is within the  parameter  I can afford I buy it.

Edited by oldboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Are you sure as a lot of the materials come from the Far East and many components could be household domestic items?

Most of a caravan components are of European manufacturers . Chassis ,widows, appliances,heating,lighting,all the expensive bits even on UK manufacturer .

Manufacturers set prices for Stuttgart for the year usually and any fluctuations in exchange rates have to taken into account and I would think they are putting in a buffer as any difference will come out of their profit margin .

They can sell a caravan for £20k but when they buy in the components they cost more due to exchange rates after March they will loose money .

As said in 2016 the manufacturers stuck 10% for 2017 on because of the exchange rate after the vote and if it had gone down any more another 5% was expected midseason .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

43 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Most of a caravan components are of European manufacturers . Chassis ,widows, appliances,heating,lighting,all the expensive bits even on UK manufacturer .

Manufacturers set prices for Stuttgart for the year usually and any fluctuations in exchange rates have to taken into account and I would think they are putting in a buffer as any difference will come out of their profit margin .

They can sell a caravan for £20k but when they buy in the components they cost more due to exchange rates after March they will loose money .

As said in 2016 the manufacturers stuck 10% for 2017 on because of the exchange rate after the vote and if it had gone down any more another 5% was expected midseason .

Dave

That may be true but a lot of the components are made in the UK.  For example I would think that the ALKO chassis is perhaps manufactured in the UK?

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Very few, if any, components in a modern caravan are household domestic items. The shower head is the only one I can think of.

54 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That may be true but a lot of the components are made in the UK.  For example I would think that the ALKO chassis is perhaps manufactured in the UK?

Being a German company, I doubt it!

So this years price goes up and your caravan is within the 5 years new for old insurance on renewal do you increase the value on your policy and pay more?

26 minutes ago, David 38 said:

So this years price goes up and your caravan is within the 5 years new for old insurance on renewal do you increase the value on your policy and pay more?

Yes if you wish, I usually go for market value after 5 years can't see any point of paying all that premium knowing that the insurance will take the wear and tear into account.

8 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Yes if you wish, I usually go for market value after 5 years can't see any point of paying all that premium knowing that the insurance will take the wear and tear into account.

I don't understand that - if you insure on a new for old policy, and you have proof of the valuation it is insured for, you will get a new van.  Wear and tear doesn't come into it. 

48 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

I don't understand that - if you insure on a new for old policy, and you have proof of the valuation it is insured for, you will get a new van.  Wear and tear doesn't come into it. 

Old Boy might have confused you by talking first five years which I'm asking about, and what happens after the five years when the insurer gives you market value and not original purchase value and you should then drop your value to that level if you don't you pay far too much in premium.

Edited by David 38

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Old Boy might have confused you by talking first five years which I'm asking about, and what happens after the five years when the insurer gives you market value and not original purchase value and you should then drop your value to that level if you don't you pay far too much in premium.

I have  had new for old policies upto 10 years and I believe I saw somewhere a company was offering it upto 15!  

I think that one of the clubs (C&CC ?? ) is offering up to 15 years

3 hours ago, oldboy said:

They won't take wear and tear into account though!

• Like 1