Sign in to follow this  
CliveB

France Motorway Toll Reduction for V5 Disabled Class

Many years touring in France in a disabled adapted motorhome (V5 Disabled class) meant that on on French motorways, although officially a Class 2 vehicle, we were only charged the Class 1 rate (some problems with unmanned automated toll booths, but usually succeeded in the end).

Returning to caravanning and I believe my VW Caravelle/Bailey Rimini combination would also be a Class 2 combination (vehicle under 2m, caravan 2-3m height). I have searched the relevant Autoroute sites and all state that Class 2 "disabled" vehicles would be charged Class 1 (I knew that), but it is unclear whether this is just for a single vehicle or car/caravan combination.  Has anyone had experience of towing with a "disabled" vehicle on French motorways and what class was charged?

Should add that the Caravelle is a disabled conversion.

Edited by CliveB

If you have one of those toll devices in the car I wonder if it will recognised a car with caravan in the class 1 category?

31 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

If you have one of those toll devices in the car I wonder if it will recognised a car with caravan in the class 1 category?

I believe all the Liber-t gates have a height restrictions so only normally passable with a Class 1 vehicle. By "automated" I meant unmanned with cash or card payment slots.

Edited by CliveB

With nearly all toll booths being automated these days you are going to have to get out, walk around the other side of your vehicle, press the call button, negotiate with the call centre in French, explain your disability even though the CCTV shows you walking to the other side,  explain the modifications to your vehicle, understand the squawky intercom replies, all the while with hooting from irritated drivers behind you, and so on. Good luck ! 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, moorgate said:

With nearly all toll booths being automated these days you are going to have to get out, walk around the other side of your vehicle, press the call button, negotiate with the call centre in French, explain your disability even though the CCTV shows you walking to the other side,  explain the modifications to your vehicle, understand the squawky intercom replies, all the while with hooting from irritated drivers behind you, and so on. Good luck ! 

Been there and done that. Yes it is frustrating.  Shouting "handicapé" down the intercom and waving the V5 at the camera usually got results.

Also don't forget to put on your orange vest before exiting the vehicle or putting on your seatbelt before moving off.

Still hoping to hear from someone who has/hasn't received a Class 2 reduction.

Clive,  I admire your persistence, but just to save all that bother I have a tag on the windscreen and go straight through.  I'm afraid you were wrong earlier when you said that all Liber-t gates have a height restriction . 

33 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Clive,  I admire your persistence, but just to save all that bother I have a tag on the windscreen and go straight through.  I'm afraid you were wrong earlier when you said that all Liber-t gates have a height restriction . 

Good to hear there is no height restrictions on Liber-t booths (I'm fairly sure there were in the early days - but I could be wrong).

Did you pay Class 2 rates?

I'll delve a little further into this possibility, bearing in mind class 2 is 50% more expensive than class 1 so savings can be quite substantial.

Clive

• Like 1

The 30km/h lanes on the left are usually height restricted but restrictions are lifted at times, I think it's Sundays. The 30km/h lanes to the right are not height restricted, that's where the trucks go through the toll plaza.

On 19/02/2019 at 12:58, Durbanite said:

I'm not sure on this one either, but the Liber-t website does imply that class 1 vehicles (under 2m) should use the fast lanes (indicated by an orange t) and gives the example that if the car is over height (2m) because e.g carrying cycles or roof box then you should  present yourself at booth (presumably to be charged the higher class 2 rate) or collect a ticket on entry and pay as normal on exit.

I'm assuming that if you have a class 1 tag and pull a caravan you would have to do the same and be charged class 2 rate?

Can anyone who regularly uses the tag whilst towing elucidate further?

One interesting piece of information I did find with my online investigations is that if you have a disabled adapted car (i.e. taxation class "disabled") it is possible (by presenting yourself in person at one of the autoroute customer service centres  with your V5 and other documents) to obtain concessions which include reduced initial subscription charge and being charged on autoroutes as a class 5 vehicle (same as motorcycles).  These concessions are not available for online or postal applications (or applications to the UK offices).  Again has anyone experience of this concession?

I think I'm just going to collect the ticket and pay the toll this summer. Life's complicated enough!

Clive

The reduced tariff for French disabled driver's vehicles  is applied at a manned toll booth on the production of a 'carte grise' (V5/log book) which shows the vehicle is modified for 'personnes de mobilité reduit'.  It's not clear if other nationalities can produce an equivalent log book to get the concession.

Fast lanes usually refer to the non-stop 30kph lanes. Only T lanes accept télépéage tags although they often accept cash or card as well.

Roof racks/cycles on a car roof will not affect the class 1 tariff  and a  car towing a caravan will be charged class 2 when using an automated toll booth.

Video showing how tolls operate here

17 minutes ago, beejay said:

It's not clear if other nationalities can produce an equivalent log book to get the concession. 

Thanks for the contribution.

As I stated earlier a class 2 adapted motorhome is charged class 1 rates regardless of nationality (at least while we are in the EC).  I can vouch for this.

I'm still trying to find out if a PMR/disabled car/caravan is also eligible for the class reduction, but I suspect not.

Edited by CliveB

Clive, I 'm afraid I can't that question, but I do know that if I were a badly disabled driver and needed a modified Vehicle I would certainly have a tag on the windscreen  - just to save getting out and walking round and finding customer service centres to negotiate with them .  I would want easiness rather than money saving. But I wish you well with your quest. 

This is a very belated posting to the original regarding concessions for disabled drivers/persons (Blue Badge Holders in UK). I have copied the answer directly from the Libert-t Tag/emovis tag website. I'm a Blue Badge holder with a military War Disablement Pension but as my car is not ADAPTED in any way to assist my driving, I am not entitled to any concessions. The same applies if I was driving a motorhome.

Q.   Are there any discounts for disabled people?

A.  France - Liber-t tag

Yes.  Blue badge holders who have a Class 2 vehicle (not valid for car + caravan) are entitled to be charged at Class 1 rate if the vehicle is adapted for disabled persons.  However, in order to be charged at Class 1 rate in the automated lane, you will need to stop and press the intercom button to request the correct toll to be applied.  Alternatively you can use the manual lane and hand over your tag to be scanned. Please note the reduction is applied at the discretion of the particular auto route operator of the toll road you are using. More information can be found at here

Spain and Portugal - VIA-t tag

All vehicles using the VIA-T tag (cars, car + caravan, motorbikes and motorhomes up to 3.5 tonnes.) are classed / charged at the same rate so a discount is not applicable. 

Hope this clarifies any queries.  Regards to all.

2 hours ago, JamesLewis said:

This is a very belated posting to the original regarding concessions for disabled drivers/persons (Blue Badge Holders in UK). I have copied the answer directly from the Libert-t Tag/emovis tag website. I'm a Blue Badge holder with a military War Disablement Pension but as my car is not ADAPTED in any way to assist my driving, I am not entitled to any concessions. The same applies if I was driving a motorhome.

Q.   Are there any discounts for disabled people?

A.  France - Liber-t tag

Yes.  Blue badge holders who have a Class 2 vehicle (not valid for car + caravan) are entitled to be charged at Class 1 rate if the vehicle is adapted for disabled persons.  However, in order to be charged at Class 1 rate in the automated lane, you will need to stop and press the intercom button to request the correct toll to be applied.  Alternatively you can use the manual lane and hand over your tag to be scanned. Please note the reduction is applied at the discretion of the particular auto route operator of the toll road you are using. More information can be found at here

Spain and Portugal - VIA-t tag

All vehicles using the VIA-T tag (cars, car + caravan, motorbikes and motorhomes up to 3.5 tonnes.) are classed / charged at the same rate so a discount is not applicable. 

Hope this clarifies any queries.  Regards to all.

James

Many thanks for this update. It is in line with what I believed.

We had a very pleasant 4 weeks in France in the summer - the first time with a caravan for some 20 years (the past 20 years we have still toured, in France nearly every year,   but with motorhomes of various description).

Hopefully back again next year  - have just been looking at maps to decide where!

Clive

You're very welcome Clive. We had 6 weeks in France earlier this year (May/June) & have booked our Hull/Zeebrugge ferry for 2020. 9th May to 28th June so that gives us 7 weeks to get to the Med coastal region, spend a couple of weeks in La Barcarès and then a nice leisurely return journey via the Dordogne/La Rochelle area. Regards.

Lew

Really don’t understand why UK blue badge holders should have discounted toll charges in France?  I thought toll charges were there to help with the upkeep of the road. Do blue badge vehicles cause less wear and tear? 

9 hours ago, ericfield said:

Really don’t understand why UK blue badge holders should have discounted toll charges in France?  I thought toll charges were there to help with the upkeep of the road. Do blue badge vehicles cause less wear and tear?

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a Blue Badge vehicle.  How much of the toll charges go back into maintaining the toll road and how much goes into the pockets of the private enterprise? 

They don't - the concession is only available where the vehicle is adapted specifically for a disabled driver - a much more restrictive requirement than simply having a Blue Badge

Really don’t understand why UK blue badge holders should have discounted toll charges in France?  

Not just France - most UK motorway and crossing charges are waived or greatly reduced for vehicles registered as "Disabled" and/or Blue Badge holders.

I thought toll charges were there to help with the upkeep of the road. Do blue badge vehicles cause less wear and tear? 

My original query has now been answered fully and is in line with my later experiences when touring in France.  I really do not have anything further to add.

If you would like to open a topic on whether or not disabled people deserve any consessions in the "Social" thread I am more than willing to contribute.

For the time being all I will say is that the support and understanding provided by the majority of able-bodied people is worth far more than any monetary concession.

• Like 2