Sign in to follow this  
Chromedome73

Butane to Propane question

Hi, I have a 4.5kg butane bottle which I want to change to a 6kg propane bottle ( due to freezing issues the other w/end)

I have ordered a Propane Gas Pigtail POL x W20.

My question is on the Butane I have a small handwheel (open/close) but on the propane it's the standard push on connector.

Do I just connect this to the bulkhead regulator with the new pigtail or do I use something else?

Sorry if this is a daft question

Regards 

Ian 

Puzzled!

The standard 6Kg propane does not have a "push on" connector.

But a POL connection is not a "push-on", its a bull nosed left handed male screw connector. This fits into a female on the appropriate propane bottle, and that has a shut off valve.

There are push on type propane  bottles but not the normal 6 kgs used in the UK. Eg, being the 27mm push on used by Gaslight.

What/ who's bottle are you getting?

Edited by JTQ

8 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Puzzled!

The standard 6Kg propane does not have a "push on" connector.

Hmmm maybe it's me who is confused, I have the tap currently on my Butane but have seen bigger gas bottles with a push fit connection (it might be bigger butane bottles)

Thanks for the reply (I haven't actually got my propane bottle yet)

Cheers

Ian

8 minutes ago, Chromedome73 said:

Hmmm maybe it's me who is confused, I have the tap currently on my Butane but have seen bigger gas bottles with a push fit connection (it might be bigger butane bottles)

Cheers

Ian

Tell us who's propane bottle you wish to go with.

If Calor's then your POL connector will fit, and the bottle will have a shut off valve.

Calor's  7 kg blue Butane has a push on connector, a 21 mm, and no valve. The Calor's blue 7 kg Butane bottle is physically the size of their red 6 kg Propane. Liquid Butane "gas" is simply denser so the same volume weighs more.

Edited by JTQ

5 minutes ago, Chromedome73 said:

Cheers

Ian

The standard 6Kg bottle, as used by Calor and others uses the POL connector as on the pigtail you have ordered. There are other connectors in use though.

Are the 6kg propane and butane the same pigtail as my dealer tells me the pigtail in new Bailey caravans will do both.

Are the pigtails with the hand wheel nut specials and the ones needing a spanner the standard?

1 minute ago, David 38 said:

Are the 6kg propane and butane the same pigtail as my dealer tells me the pigtail in new Bailey caravans will do both.

Are the pigtails with the hand wheel nut specials and the ones needing a spanner the standard?

They can be if the cylinder end uses an appropriate adaptor, but not if "one piece" units.

The handwheel POLs have a rubber bull nose, the spanner type just a brass bull nose. IMO, avoid the spanner jobs, things have moved on and the soft nosed hand wheel are way better. Just IMO.

I made the exact same change recently, 4.5kg butane to 6kg propane and my new propane bottle has a screw thread for the regulator and a tap on top.

I bought a new regulator with a pressure gauge on top to give me some idea of how much gas is left in the bottle.

Most of the gas in your bottle is liquid. Your pressure gauge will not show any change in pressure until all of the liquid has boiled off and Your bottle is almost empty.

• Thanks 1

Is it the 

12 hours ago, Chromedome73 said:

Hi, I have a 4.5kg butane bottle which I want to change to a 6kg propane bottle ( due to freezing issues the other w/end)

I have ordered a Propane Gas Pigtail POL x W20.

My question is on the Butane I have a small handwheel (open/close) but on the propane it's the standard push on connector.

Do I just connect this to the bulkhead regulator with the new pigtail or do I use something else?

Sorry if this is a daft question

Regards 

Ian 

Have you got a patio gas bottle rather than a orange propane one :unsure:

11 hours ago, AndersG said:

Most of the gas in your bottle is liquid. Your pressure gauge will not show any change in pressure until all of the liquid has boiled off and Your bottle is almost empty.

It shows full at the moment, which it is, but if it will only change when its nearly empty, that's really all I need to know.

2 minutes ago, Mike James said:

It shows full at the moment, which it is, but if it will only change when its nearly empty, that's really all I need to know.

Good, as that is just what it does.

Just a quick update...

I have now purchased my propane bottle & it has a tap on the top of it.

I don't know what i was looking at to give me the idea it didn't.

Thanks again for the replies

Ian