Sign in to follow this  
Ause

has anyone had fitted the AL-KO ATC to an Adria Adora

16 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

ATC costs about £450 from new, on a £20k caravan that’s 2.25% of the cost, is that expensive for a proven safety measure? 

If it were simply part of the standard build of any caravan chassis the costs would drop even further.

Have to agree cost on a £20k van is not that great even less percentage wise on a £40k van but a lot higher for some people price bracket.

I do not get the impression anyone thinks it's a waste of money or just a gimmick to extract more cash, or they would be 100% safe if they did everything except fit ATC no more than they would feel 100% if they do fit ATC.

As Mr plod states insurance company's offer a incentive to encourage people to fit ATC as there is some benefit thus preventing a claim, defiantly good to have but not so good we will not insure you if you don't have one.

I have not seen any Adria information saying the longer a frame will increase the stability of there vans when towing. I always thought mine and other continental vans with longer a frames was to aid fitting a bike rack gaining more room when turning.

13 hours ago, Lutz said:

Trailer brakes should act almost instantaneously as soon as the car brakes are applied, regardless of ABS deploying on the towing vehicle. If they don't, there's something wrong with them.

If the trailer pushed the car that was already braking across a junction despite its brakes working as they should, then the brakes must have locked up its wheels and the trailer must have been skidding on what was, by your own admission, a very greasy road.

The road was super greasy and I applied the breaks gently (as you do when towing a heavy load) the jeeps ABS sensing the lack of grip started to act but as there had as yet not been enough slowing down to bring in the trailer brakes left me with about 5.5T pushing me on a slippy surface and the ABS doing its best to ensure that the only 4 wheels attempting to do any breaking would not lock up.

If the trailer had been skidding it would likely have come out of line which it did not. First time this happened I keep breaks to floor and needed to change my trousers. The second time I came of the breaks and hit the peddle harder, so trailer breaks came in before ABS reacted and we stopped pretty abruptly, but at least we stopped. No need for a trouser change.

8 hours ago, baddon said:

The road was super greasy and I applied the breaks gently (as you do when towing a heavy load) the jeeps ABS sensing the lack of grip started to act but as there had as yet not been enough slowing down to bring in the trailer brakes left me with about 5.5T pushing me on a slippy surface and the ABS doing its best to ensure that the only 4 wheels attempting to do any breaking would not lock up.

If the trailer had been skidding it would likely have come out of line which it did not. First time this happened I keep breaks to floor and needed to change my trousers. The second time I came of the breaks and hit the peddle harder, so trailer breaks came in before ABS reacted and we stopped pretty abruptly, but at least we stopped. No need for a trouser change.

With ABS it makes little sense to hit the brake pedal more lightly on a greasy surface than one otherwise would. At least then the trailer's brakes would always come on and the car would look after itself. Whether the trailer would come out of line I can't say without knowing more about the prevailing conditions, but personally I think it is unlikely because, with ABS on the car having deployed, the car should not be braking more heavily than the trailer so there would normally be no reason for the trailer trying to overtake the car. Only if one wasn't proceeding in a straight line before applying the brakes could the situation have become more critical. I therefore still think that the trailer's wheels were skidding when it tried to push the car into the junction.

I'm probably a bit late to this party however I thought I'd mention a trip I had returning from the Lake District last year.

I was on the A590 dual carriageway travelling at around 55mph in Lane 2 as there was a box van in Lane 1 travelling a fair bit slower than I was. As I overtook the van I then suddenly started to slow down quite dramatically. I look at the instrument panel on my Land Rover Discovery Sport and nothing appeared to be amiss. It was then that I realised that while passing the box van the road had crossed over a valley and a sudden gust of wind blowing through the valley had affected the stability of the caravan and the ATC had kicked in before I had even realised there was a problem. 

I was driving carefully, within the speed limits with good driving conditions. It was an unexpected environmental occurrence that could've changed all that.

Thank God I had ATC as the outcome may have been very different.

I too am thinking of getting an Adria but the lack of ATC is a disappointment to say the least. I agree that it should be mandatory.

Andy.

13 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I too am thinking of getting an Adria but the lack of ATC is a disappointment to say the least. I agree that it should be mandatory.

Andy.

After two repair jobs which were done under warranty on the ATC fitted to my caravan, the unit later failed a third time. In exasperation, I removed it altogether and have since been using the caravan without it. I can't say that it has ever put me into a predicament where I wish I would have had it again. Please note that I'm not criticising the system as such. It is no doubt a bit of added protection, but not something that I would consider to be mandatory, especially as more and more towcars with factory fitted towbars come with trailer stability systems as standard.

There is of course a very fundamental difference between an ATC (and its ilk) and a tow vehicle's trailer stability system.

Only one acts "directly", the other is reactionary via the tow vehicle, both useful and can be complementary. 

Given a choice I would have both, but if that option is not there, then without doubt I would opt to stabilise any wayward behaviour of the caravan directly, not hope to tame it from judicious automatic use of just the vehicle's  "tools" ie  its brakes, steering and throttle and wait for those actions to work their way through.

Whilst the likes of ATC are rudimentary they are directly addressing the issue at source as close to the wayward mass itself as possible.

I have both, though I only ever knowingly encounter the ATC as it does an occasional discreet "check" when the van sways, like sometimes when exiting a roundabout.

Edited by JTQ