Sign in to follow this  
Ause

has anyone had fitted the AL-KO ATC to an Adria Adora

Hi All

`I`m thinking of buying a Adria Adora Isonzo    613 DT . Has anyone had a ATC fitted to there caravan and what they like to tow with the Adora range 

thank alan

8 minutes ago, Ause said:

Hi All

`I`m thinking of buying a Adria Adora Isonzo    613 DT . Has anyone had a ATC fitted to there caravan and what they like to tow with the Adora range 

thank alan

The ATC should not and is not intended to make the slightest difference to the "towing", it only comes into play when otherwise things would go seriously wrong.

Not an Adria, but we had ATC retrospectively put on our van, by Al-KO UK, twelve years back.

If typical of continental van's, the Adria probably has a longish "A" frame, and so is likely to fall into the "good" inherent stability bracket.

I had one retro-fitted to my last 'van, a Swift Challenger, Al-Ko engineer came,it was a free one after a claim, and did it and took about two hours.

geoff

ATC is a very simple aftermarket fit.

Personally I wouldn’t DREAM of having any caravan if it wasn’t fitted with ATC. (Should be compulsory fitting on all caravans, like seat belts in cars) 

I’ve seen/dealt with far too many caravans over the years that have got into a snake and “fallen over”  to NOT have it on any of mine.

Andy

• Like 1

I`m in two minds weather too or not 

We had ATC fitted as an extra to our Adora Thames, only because we had it on our more recent vans. However, cannot say that I have ever noticed it as having come into operation on any of our vans. Just thought it would be belt and braces on a bigger van.

Having towed the Adria quite a bit now, I would personally not bother with it on another Adria again, as JTQ has mentioned, the long A frame has a bearing on the fact that, for me, at least, it is the most stable van I have towed,  that includes for twin axles also.

Of course, erring on the side of safety is never a bad thing and if it gives people a bit of comfort - rather than a false sense of security, then why not.

Just bear in mind, as with ABS on a car, it is not a get out of jail card for all situations.

I believe that driving sensibly, loading the van properly and maintaining tyre pressures, as well as ensuring the tug is set up similarly is about as much as needs to be done to give the best chance of a smooth tow.

Begs the question why? I've towed thousands of miles with our Altea and due to the longer a frame it tows without issue, slightly nose down and I have towed it with three different cars.

I'd say try it first and see how it tows, the longer a frame makes a significant difference that's hard to explain unless you've had one,  it's not for me but each to their own.

you all are making good points  :Thankyou: it makes a good debate for and against 

2 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Begs the question why?

That's dead simple to answer, presently there is nothing you can buy, fit or do that will better subdue a snake manifesting.

Any towed unit can go into a snake, it just needs to have something to disturb it enough.  Without an ATC system, you just have to hope nothing ever requires you to swerve, as just one example of something way out of your control, however carefully you load or drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seizingup said:

We had ATC fitted as an extra to our Adora Thames, only because we had it on our more recent vans. However, cannot say that I have ever noticed it as having come into operation on any of our vans. Just thought it would be belt and braces on a bigger van.

Having towed the Adria quite a bit now, I would personally not bother with it on another Adria again, as JTQ has mentioned, the long A frame has a bearing on the fact that, for me, at least, it is the most stable van I have towed,  that includes for twin axles also.

Of course, erring on the side of safety is never a bad thing and if it gives people a bit of comfort - rather than a false sense of security, then why not.

Just bear in mind, as with ABS on a car, it is not a get out of jail card for all situations.

I believe that driving sensibly, loading the van properly and maintaining tyre pressures, as well as ensuring the tug is set up similarly is about as much as needs to be done to give the best chance of a smooth tow.

I have never actually needed either airbags nor seatbelts in any of my cars either!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seizingup said:

ATC is nothing to do at all with a "smooth tow", it should not be acting to do anything, till everything is going wrong.

Adria's --due to their longer A frame-- tow better than most UK short A frame vans.

If you load it sensibly you wont need one.

We are on our second Adria and this one is a 612 so its same length of yours.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, baddon said:

If you load it sensibly you wont need one.

Yes, just like driving sensibly and you won't need the crumple zones, airbags or seatbelts in your car.

ATC is a sensible safety precaution which should, IMO, be compulsory or face lower speed limits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice, as you can see some swear by it others not, if it gives you peace of mind and you will worry if it isn't fitted then you have answered your own question.

All those these examples are limited in numbers I'm concerned about people who have had it engage all of a sudden and grind the unit to a halt on the main road. I have also struggled to get sufficient voltage from the car due to loss through the length of wire used, even after upgrading it so if it was fitted to a van of mine I'm not sure if the voltage would be sufficient to work. OP, good choice of caravan BTW, welcome to the Adria club!

I am simply STAGGERED by the attitude of some that ATC is just a waste of space and money because if you have a “long A frame” and load your caravan correctly then it will never be needed because your caravan cannot ever get into a snake. Such naivety is somewhat troubling.

I have ATC fitted and I genuinely hope that it will NEVER be “needed in anger” But IF it ever is then I will be very grateful for it’s presence.

My final comment would be to ask those who say they serve no useful purpose......

“If ATC is unecessary why do Caravan insurance companies offer a substantial discount if it’s fitted?” 

Anyone care to answer that?

Andy

• Like 3

About 30 years ago I was towing a horse trailer on a ice covered road when I had a snake. It was an experience I prefer not to repeat and there is no way I would have a caravan without ATC. I will probably never need it but i rather have it but not need it than need it but not have it. Our house is not likely to burn down but we still pay to insure it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tow an Adria Adora not fitted with A.T.C and have never felt the need to have it fitted ,
I feel it's more important to have suitably matched tow car and properly loaded van.
  If an outfit is unstable A.T.C would not improve handling .
But may/will help in certain situations .
Those of the right age like me can remember heading for med two weeks hols 130 km/h car with caravan speed limit . That was unsafe.
   Caravan hand book towing instructions said caravan and tyres were only designed to be towed at a constant speed of no more than 80MPH.
   Adria Manual says not to towed more than 60 MPH much safer.
The purchase of a van for me would not swayed if it had A.T.C. or not unless they wanted to charge extra for it.
 Never been asked if A.T.C. Is fitted only where it's kept and what type of locks.

9 hours ago, weekender said:

Tow an Adria Adora not fitted with A.T.C and have never felt the need to have it fitted ,
I feel it's more important to have suitably matched tow car and properly loaded van.

For the avoidance of doubt I will explain what exactly ATC is designed to do.

It does not (cannot) in any way whatsoever alter, adjust or improve a caravans towing characteristics.

it is a totally passive device that just sits there, waiting in the wings, just in case it’s ever needed (a bit like an air bag in a car) 

If, for any reason whatsoever the ATC control unit detects that the caravan is starting to snake then it momentarily applies just the caravan brakes, this slows the caravan slightly thus allowing the towing vehicle to “pull it straight” and stop snakin. That is NOT something that even the best driver in the world is able to do. 

The longest “A” framed and correctly loaded caravan can, under certain circumstances be induced into a snake no matter how careful or experienced the driver is.

I have 30 years as a class one advanced police car driver and motorcyclist, I also hold a class one HGV (artic) and PSV licence so I am probably vastly better trained and more experienced than the majority of caravan towers. However I simply wouldn’t even consider a caravan that’s not fitted with ATC for the simple reason I understand that it offers me, as a driver, and the owner of 20k’s worth of caravan, an additional, and well proven safety system (one that I hope I will never need) 

To the best if my knowledge I have never NEEDED the ATC to operate, but neither have I needed the stability control, autonomous braking, load sensing seat belts, or air bags that are fitted to my car. I have only ever been involved in one crash (not my fault) but that doesn’t mean I don’t want  all of the above safety systems in my car “just in case”

Do detracters of ATC consider the above safety systems to be unnecessary or a waste of space?  One day they just MIGHT be needed (like house insurance) ATC is the same. 

Andy

Anyone havevthe contact details of the Flat Earth Society?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Perhaps the more accurate comparison is between ABS on a car and ATC...  The only time ABS has kicked in for me was on my motorcycle boarding a channel ferry.  I was being "put" onto the exposed aft deck, and the steel was slipperier than snail snot.  I had my feet down at 2mph gently touched the front brake and ABS took over.  I repeat at 2mph.  I still like ABS

:goodpost: No, Andy an excellent post.

Can I just add it only partially applies the van's brakes, unless incorrectly set up.

None of this hauling the car to a halt on the motorway. Indeed it does not stay on it auto releases when the sway is checked adequately.

It does require a correctly maintained 12 volt feed, so shoddy wiring and connectors are readily shown up.

Edited by JTQ

12 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

1. All those these examples are limited in numbers I'm concerned about people who have had it engage all of a sudden and grind the unit to a halt on the main road.

2. I have also struggled to get sufficient voltage from the car due to loss through the length of wire used, even after upgrading it so if it was fitted to a van of mine I'm not sure if the voltage would be sufficient to work.

1. Is that fact or urban myth of ATC causing a sudden halt on a main road?

2. Struggling to get sufficient voltage from the car is more a reflection on the inadequacies of the wiring of the towcar, not the ATC.

As said, ATC does not promote a smooth tow - in fact, when it operates, it does exactly the opposite!

Those of us who have experienced ATC operation, with that (excuse me) what moment, will know what I mean.

I am not the smoothest of drivers and I don't have an ideal outfit match, but I've not yet had a snake - but the ATC does operate occasionally when negotiating bumpy corners at speed.

12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am simply STAGGERED by the attitude of some that ATC is just a waste of space and money because if you have a “long A frame” and load your caravan correctly then it will never be needed because your caravan cannot ever get into a snake. Such naivety is somewhat troubling.

I have ATC fitted and I genuinely hope that it will NEVER be “needed in anger” But IF it ever is then I will be very grateful for it’s presence.

My final comment would be to ask those who say they serve no useful purpose......

“If ATC is unecessary why do Caravan insurance companies offer a substantial discount if it’s fitted?” 

Anyone care to answer that?

Andy

I wonder what the percentage of caravans that loose control possibly over turning  have ATC fitted ?

Its like the prestige vehicles with trackers never get stolen ?

Dave

5 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

1. Is that fact or urban myth of ATC causing a sudden halt on a main road?

Even when ATC activates it does not apply the brakes hard enough to cause the outfit to grind to a halt.

Earlier this week mine engaged as I drove over a pothole at the exit from the storage compound. The drive is downhill so I was just coasting and even coasting it was nothing more than a gentle tug which did not actually stop the outfit!

13 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Even when ATC activates it does not apply the brakes hard enough to cause the outfit to grind to a halt.

Earlier this week mine engaged as I drove over a pothole at the exit from the storage compound. The drive is downhill so I was just coasting and even coasting it was nothing more than a gentle tug which did not actually stop the outfit!

I understand how ATC works and Mr Plodd's explanation details it clearly, my question was to Jiffy176 as myth is often quoted as fact.