Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Updating a built in Satnav?

In general it costs and arm and a leg to update a Satnav in almost all vehicles that have them inbuilt.  For many vehicles you have to buy a DVD and cannot download the update.  If you are doing a similar update on your TomTom, Garmin etc it cost a fraction of the price plus you can add in your own POIs which it seems you cannot do with most vehicles.  Built in Satnavs for many vehicles appear to belong to the Dark Ages!  The Satnav in our 2013 Shogun was useless and the one in the 2012 Jeep even worse as it cannot be updated!

I’ve updated the onboard satnav on my Kia Sorento twice. Got the update from eBay with instructions of how to transfer the data from CD to a USB memory stick. 

Updates went in fine but I had to keep the engine running for an hour whilst it completed. No idea why it takes so long but apparently it is the normal process.

Cost £20.

Edited by springtime

My Peugeot came with 5 years free upgrades twice a year for other owners without the offer they go to a Map Care website and pay to download to a usb stick to transfer to car.

Now there is on the Internet a Peugeot owners forum and I can see in it it has Links to get map upgrades at no cost.

OP doesn't make it clear what his present car is so I would say a search for the makes forum and see how other owners fair.

Other use SD cards for the data....  My Ford, for example.  But at £81.90 for last years maps (2018) it's not cheap.  {Although possibly dodgy eBay copies are available for significantly less}.  Plus they expect you to fork this out every year (or so).

Tom Tom charge £50 for the same all-Europe map as a download, if your device is compatible and hasn't got *lifetime* maps.  So I guess the Ford price isn't that bad?    But TT have fallen out of favour with me since they killed my GO520T, claiming it hadn't the storage needed (when it takes external SD cards).

*lifetime* is however short TomTom decide it to be by dropping support for the device.

14 minutes ago, David Park said:

My Peugeot came with 5 years free upgrades twice a year for other owners without the offer they go to a Map Care website and pay to download to a usb stick to transfer to car.

Now there is on the Internet a Peugeot owners forum and I can see in it it has Links to get map upgrades at no cost.

OP doesn't make it clear what his present car is so I would say a search for the makes forum and see how other owners fair.

Looked on his profile and it shows a Ford Mondeo Estate.  ;)

• Like 1

You can get as many updates as you want - all for free - from Volvo.  Pick what you want on their website, copy it onto a memory stick, put that in the car and wait about half an hour and it's done, easy-peasy.

26 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Looked on his profile and it shows a Ford Mondeo Estate.  ;)

Said Jeep Grand Cherokee when I looked :unsure:

John

Edited by Johnaldo

IN 2014, I enquired about the cost of map update for my 2011 X-Trail. ..........er, £300? (yoravinalarf). Spent the same money on a Garmin 760 (caravan version). Free lifetime updates etc:

The situation with Nissan has improved (somewhat); my Navarra gets a free update along with a service. That, of course ties you to Nissan dealer servicing. I believe that some other manufacturers are following this trend. This all, I'm afraid, depends on you being in the fortunate position of being able to afford a new-ish vehicle. In any case, I have found that the Garmin maps are more up-to-date than the most recent Nissan offering.

There seems to be a long way to go to make OEM built in sat navs as user-friendly and updateable as portable devices such as Garmin and TomTom as well as the various offerings for mobiles. 

Although I think there is an increasing downturn in standalone device sales, while most/many manufacturers continue to want to 'milk' the upgrade process of built-in devices then standalone devices will have a place for a lot of people. 

It never ceases to amaze me how often I see new/newish cars and particularly upmarket models which more than likely have a built-in device yet they still have a standalone attached to the windscreen. 

As connectivity improves and becomes the pretty much the norm for all new cars I see Google maps becoming the standard navigation tool in the car.  In my experience for live traffic, it is so much better than any other tool I've used. Once such a system becomes more widespread then the OEM gravy train of inflated equipment and update prices will be gone. It won't happen overnight but that's the direction I expect it to go.

Well I bought a TomTom years ago when they first introduced Free Lifetime upgrades, well one day an e-mail saying they were going to cease to update it.   So much for TT life time.

The car was sold as free updates for 5 years.

So you should know which is best with the truth.

That's the nice bit about buying VW. If it has the Discover infotainment system (how I hate title!) you can download the latest maps f.o.c.. You dump it onto the SD card carrying the original maps (make a copy first of course) and it should come up with the latest maps.

However.... I was warned by one supplier that there is or were problems with V9 which VW were attempting to resolve.

The above sound a very good idea for me to stay with the loose satnav I use.

Bought with free lifetime updates for all of Western Europe, for about £100 a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

In general it costs and arm and a leg to update a Satnav in almost all vehicles that have them inbuilt.  For many vehicles you have to buy a DVD and cannot download the update.  If you are doing a similar update on your TomTom, Garmin etc it cost a fraction of the price plus you can add in your own POIs which it seems you cannot do with most vehicles.  Built in Satnavs for many vehicles appear to belong to the Dark Ages!  The Satnav in our 2013 Shogun was useless and the one in the 2012 Jeep even worse as it cannot be updated!

Just been searching on t'interweb. Apparently Jeep sat nav maps can be updated but only at an authorised Jeep dealer.......for a cost. Good old Fiat Chrysler Automobiles! 

https://www.driveuconnect.EU/en/support/jeep

https://www.driveuconnect.EU/en/support/quicktips

3 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

The above sound a very good idea for me to stay with the loose satnav I use.

Bought with free lifetime updates for all of Western Europe, for about £100 a couple of years ago.

As I said Lifetime to TomTom doesn't mean the same as I think Lifetime means.

It appears that the latest Jaguar/Land Rover navigation systems have free updates - the Land Rover system is called ''In Control'' -- I hope you are!

3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Just been searching on t'interweb. Apparently Jeep sat nav maps can be updated but only at an authorised Jeep dealer.......for a cost. Good old Fiat Chrysler Automobiles! 

https://www.driveuconnect.EU/en/support/jeep

https://www.driveuconnect.EU/en/support/quicktips

The 2014 and later can be updated as they use Garmin technology.  No update for 2012 which used the Navi GPS system.

37 minutes ago, TedNewman said:

It appears that the latest Jaguar/Land Rover navigation systems have free updates - the Land Rover system is called ''In Control'' -- I hope you are!

I received the instructions of how to do it last week.

Not been brave enough to try yet!

If I get it wrong, the dealer is quoting £179.00 to sort it out!

Edited by PR1
Spelling

Sync 3 on Fords is free, but can be tedious and unreliable. Requires a 32GB USB stick; I used to use the same stick on my previous Kadjar and Captur with R-Link and Media Nav Evolution respectively.  Father in law's Merc C class requires a mortgage.

As for TomTom and Garmin, yes they say lifetime updates, but the volume of data now going into maps can stop the update working. What's the difference with (as I recall) the likes of Honda stopping producing parts for a model 10 years after production?

I have a TomTom Rider 2013 for the motorbike, and it nearly bricked on the last update, I'm anticipating replacing when I see a good deal

I am glad I don't find any need for a sat nav too much hassle. I will stick with my paper map.

14 minutes ago, oldboy said:

I am glad I don't find any need for a sat nav too much hassle. I will stick with my paper map.

Clearly you have not tried a modern satnav. In my car, apart from the main screen and audible instructions, there is a display of the next junction and exit on the head up display. Massively easier then maps...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

As I said Lifetime to TomTom doesn't mean the same as I think Lifetime means.

My satnav is a Garmin. So far it continues to update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chrisn7 said:

Clearly you have not tried a modern satnav. In my car, apart from the main screen and audible instructions, there is a display of the next junction and exit on the head up display. Massively easier then maps...

I have been driving for 35 years and used to do around 25000 miles every year without a satnav, I always plan ahead and read road sign and never got lost even on the continent. so I don't need any extra distraction while driving now.

30 minutes ago, oldboy said:

I used to think that.

But as I'm alone in the car and try to find a specific street in a strange town, with all the one way systems of which I have no knowledge, a satnav is worth it's weight in gold.

No, I obviously didn't get "lost" before, or I would still be out there, but the time and stress saving is useful to me.

Edited by daveat92
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, oldboy said:

You must have a good map reader sat next to you then, particulary when the road doesn't turn out to look what you read on the map before leaving and a quick decision to be made.

My map wife isn't bad going south to north but completely lost going north to south, turning map other way up then she can't read the words and numbers.

1 minute ago, David 38 said:

You must have a good map reader sat next to you then, particulary when the road doesn't turn out to look what you read on the map before leaving and a quick decision to be made.

My map wife isn't bad going south to north but completely lost going north to south, turning map other way up then she can't read the words and numbers.

Don' t have a map reader and I don't depend on one I  always pre-plan for all my journey if needed writing down the road numbers if required or just follow the road sign direction never had any problem with that. I do find google map useful though.

The visitors to our holiday home who get lost are invariably the ones with built-in satnavs. Despite written directions on the agent's web site and a phone call and text from the caretaker (me) beforehand they apparently believe the recent changes to the A1 in North Yorkshire will appear on their satnavs by magic. Having your car serviced does not guarantee that the satnav will be updated. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1