Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Johnston

Toilet broken on a brand new coachman VIP,

Just purchaced a brand new coachman VIP caravan, light on toilet indicating cassette not engaged correctly, this was before we even used it, after taking the cassette out I found that a small plastic part that opens and closes the sliding plate was broken off, after a phone call I was told that the complete toilet requires replacing, from what I can see the part that has broken is a very stupid design, anyone had the same problem,

I must admit that we totally dislike the Dometic toilet in our VIP.  When extracting the cassette it is often needs a really hard pull and often worry what might happen as it comes out and fearful of something breaking and similar, when pushing the cassette back in as that too really needs a hard shove. Even pulling the infernal toilet flap open isn't easy. Why they moved away from Thetford I do not know.

Alan

Totally agree, I also do not find the Dometic website user friendly. At the moment I can only say the toilet is the weakest link in the VIP. Not very good to have to replace the whole toilet I understand the whole toilet has to come out if the pump goes, if that is true then again very poor design.

Lunar used to use the Dometic loo in the Clubman and Delta.

Never liked the one in our 2015 Clubman. It was a terrible design and the flush was inadequate, with an upgraded pump having to be fitted (that issue may well have been resolved by Dometic now).

It was a relief to find in our current 2017 Clubman that Lunar had gone back to Thetford, and I hope they stay with it in the future.

Edited by hp100425ev

This will not immediately help the OP situation with the broken toilet  but going forwards and for others with Dometic toilets I find a spray of the seal/opener slide after cleaning with silicone spray (Thetford make one for their toilets but others are available) helps with removal, refitting and slide mechanism of this toilet. I didnt like it initially after using a Thetford loo in previous caravan but have become accustomed to the Dometic now....but silicone lubrication aids its use.

• Thanks 1

On 17/02/2019 at 19:55, AlanS said:

I must admit that we totally dislike the Dometic toilet in our VIP.  When extracting the cassette it is often needs a really hard pull and often worry what might happen as it comes out and fearful of something breaking and similar, when pushing the cassette back in as that too really needs a hard shove. Even pulling the infernal toilet flap open isn't easy. Why they moved away from Thetford I do not know.

Alan

Cost saving Alan

Very good product and advice Volvovanner , I use it on my Thetford C260 as they also get the sticky rubber seal problem , ruined one on my cassette.

• Thanks 1

I just found out that Dometic have bought out Coachman, if that is so, we can then only expect to see Dometic products in future models.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?       Peter

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, peterjohn said:

I just found out that Dometic have bought out Coachman, if that is so, we can then only expect to see Dometic products in future models.

Not sure about that but last December Dometic acquired Kampa. Last August the Swedish manufacturer Kabe bought a 21.5% share of Coachman.

Edited by Legal Eagle

5 hours ago, peterjohn said:

Not according to these

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/02014660-coachman-caravan-company-limited

I've also had significant issues with the Dometic toilet on my 2018 model Coachman VIP which we brought brand new in March last year. Dealer arranged for first night at local campsite. Clearly no pdi done on the toilet either by Thetford, Coachman or the dealer, because as soon as I started adding the pink fluid, it started running out from somewhere inside the toilet. So spent the night using glasses of water to flush and took the van back to the dealer the next morning. I suspect this was not the first time this had happened as the dealer said he would cannibalise the toilet from another new van to repair mine. So an hour or so later we were finally on our way home.

This did appear to resolve the initial problem, but unfortunately further issues materialised. Firstly the bubble over the flush button started to split. Dealer initially wanted to change the whole control panel, but finally realised what was needed and changed the plastic panel. The next problem was that the whole control panel fell inside the toilet. Was able to retrieve it and rested it on top of the toilet. Took it back again to the dealer, who supposedly fixed it, only for it to fall again into the top of the toilet when my wife tested it in front of the service engineer. His conclusion was that a complete new control panel is needed. Am able to use toilet flush, but noticed that the flush fluid was also coming out of a small hole on the top of the toilet tank - this can be prevented by putting a finger over the opening, but run the risk of damaging the electrics.

More parts have now been ordered by the dealer from Dometic, which are supposedly on 4 - 6 weeks delivery but are currently shown as out of stock. Caravan is due to go in for its first service next week, will be interested to see what the dealer now says or does, but am seriously not impressed with either Coachman, which until I brought my VIP 520 I thought were a premium brand using premium products or Dometic for producing what are clearly inferior products allied with a very poor support to both the dealer, who has been  supportive throughout the entire sad episode, or the end customer.

Unfortunately my enthusiasm has significantly dropped and I do believe the only solution will be to have a whole new toilet fitted!

• Confused 1

Thetford are good at toilets and Dometic are good at fridges, but not vice versa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allengn said:

I've also had significant issues with the Dometic toilet on my 2018 model Coachman VIP which we brought brand new in March last year. Dealer arranged for first night at local campsite. Clearly no pdi done on the toilet either by Thetford, Coachman or the dealer

I am somewhat confused, enlighten me.

You say you have problems with your Dometic toilet, then say "no pdi done by Thetford...………."

Why would Thetford even consider doing a PDI on a Dometic toilet?

10 hours ago, Brecon said:

I am somewhat confused, enlighten me.

You say you have problems with your Dometic toilet, then say "no pdi done by Thetford...………."

Why would Thetford even consider doing a PDI on a Dometic toilet?

Brecon.

Thanks for your post. My mistake, I of course meant Dometic, sorry. Will try and edit my original post next time I'm on my pc.

• Like 1

I totally agree with “Onewheelonmywagon” Dometic are best at fridges and Thetford should stick to toilets. There seems to be a lot of trouble doing it the other way around.

Peter

• Like 2

On 01/04/2019 at 20:53, allengn said:

...more parts have now been ordered by the dealer from Dometic, which are supposedly on 4 - 6 weeks delivery but are currently shown as out of stock. Caravan is due to go in for its first service next week, will be interested to see what the dealer now says or does, but am seriously not impressed.

Well, another month goes by with no resolution! Van went into dealer for service - parts are still on back order from Dometic, no indication on when they will be in stock so still no fully functioning toilet. Dealer not particularly helpful, just keeps blaming Dometic. Starting to think about refusing the caravan under the Sale of Goods Act on basis that it was/is not fit for purpose, but need to understand what this entails first. However what I am sure about is that I will never buy another van with a Dometic toilet! Coachman take note!

1 hour ago, allengn said:

Well, another month goes by with no resolution! Van went into dealer for service - parts are still on back order from Dometic

Maybe you should consider telling the dealer you are rejecting the van - the dealer appears to have plenty of time to carry out repairs, but have failed to do so.