Sign in to follow this  
Doosan

Std Corner Steady, Repair or Replace?

I have had the bronze nut strip out of my front N/S steady and the leg has dropped down. I have removed the steady from my caravan, very easy job just 2 X 8mm nuts. Now what I would like to know is, would it be worth buying a replacement bronze nut (if you can buy them) and try to replace or just pay £29.99 + P&P from Prima Leisure? Has anyone on CT ever replaced this bronze nut and is it an easy job? The long threaded screw is very dirty, with lots of old greases and road dirt. 

Is it worth changing a pair if one side has worn out ?

Dave

Agreed. You don’t want a lopsided pair :D

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Is it worth changing a pair if one side has worn out ?

Dave

A valid point, although the opposite one is 3 years old now and that one that has just broken is the original at 12 years old. Both the rear ones have been replaced together about 2 years ago.

If the thread has stripped then almost certainly the corner steady has been used as a jack at some time and the thread has been been over stressed. I've replaced the old nylon trunnions for the better quality metal ones in the past, and it's quite straightforward. Just remember there are two sizes, 16mm and 20mm diameter and when fitting you'll need to spring the u-section of the leg apart to remove the old one and replace with the new, not forgetting to squeeze the leg back together fully afterwards. Use plenty of grease along the full length of the screw thread, work the steady fully up and down several times and then remove all excess grease to prevent dirt and grit sticking to the thread and so causing wear over time.  The cadmium plated trunnions (shown below) were about three quid each if I recall but doubtless they'll cost more by now.

Gordon.

Link

Corner steady trunnion.jpg

Corner steady trunnions, variously called corner steady spindle blocks or corner steady nuts.

Thanks for that Gordon. The only time I think that my steadies might have been overstrained, was when I had 2 tyres fitted by etyres and the guy jacked my van up and then put the 2 steadies down on the opposite side and then proceded to re-jack up the van and applied more pressure on the steadies. I had to go out and tell him what he had done but he poo-pooed it. I won't be using them again. 

My bronze nut hadn't stripped but split in half where the 2 screws fit into it either side. 

Edited by Doosan

6 hours ago, Doosan said:

My bronze nut hadn't stripped but split in half where the 2 screws fit into it either side. 

Assuming that it was not faulty manufacture, that sounds like it may well have been stressed by your tyre fitter.

Caravanners may realise that since the change many years ago to light weight caravan chassis, the corner steadies are not as strong as those fitted to the traditional iron chassis of old, and  in fact now transfer a load directly to the caravan floor. Consequently non caravan owners often still think that steadies are stronger than they really are, whereas the function of a corner steady is to stabilise the caravan while the main load is shared between the main axle(s) and the jockey wheel. I am not a fan of nylon trunnions in corner steadies but they do at least provide a weak link that can fail before any serious damage is done to the caravan structure by over tightening a steady.

On 15/02/2019 at 07:20, Gordon said:

Assuming that it was not faulty manufacture, that sounds like it may well have been stressed by your tyre fitter.

Caravanners may realise that since the change many years ago to light weight caravan chassis, the corner steadies are not as strong as those fitted to the traditional iron chassis of old, and  in fact now transfer a load directly to the caravan floor. Consequently non caravan owners often still think that steadies are stronger than they really are, whereas the function of a corner steady is to stabilise the caravan while the main load is shared between the main axle(s) and the jockey wheel. I am not a fan of nylon trunnions in corner steadies but they do at least provide a weak link that can fail before any serious damage is done to the caravan structure by over tightening a steady.

So really those "heavy duty" corner steadies championed by makers as a supposed upgrade have little or no benefit as it's all down to the strength of the floor.

2 hours ago, rovinmad said:

So really those "heavy duty" corner steadies championed by makers as a supposed upgrade have little or no benefit as it's all down to the strength of the floor.

The "heavy duty" steadies are a little less flexible, so the caravan should be a little steadier.