Beware Mayday shortcomings

Durbanite

If you have the highest level of cover excluding Personal Cover and your caravan is stored in a storage compound you may have an issue.   This does not affect those who keep their caravans at home.   The policy states the following;

Your cover includes;

Cover anywhere in the UK, including your doorstep along with transport of your vehicle to the repairer of your choice within a 10 miles of your recovery destination, if we can’t easily fix the problem on the spot.

However if your caravan is kept in storage the “recovery destination” is the caravan storage depot.   Therefore once the caravan has been dropped off they will then take the vehicle to the garage which is within 10 miles.   A concern is that your vehicle may be full of your personal belongings plus your pets and you would have to find your own way back home from the garage or rely on the goodwill of the recovery driver.  

If it is after hours for the garage like a Sunday, Bank holiday or late in the evening, the issue is compounded as the garage will be closed.   The chances of getting a taxi home with all your belongings and pets would be remote especially if after dark and in an industrial area.   Who would want to leave their vehicle parked up on a street with all their belongings and perhaps pets until the next day when the garage opens?  This has insurance implications especially if the vehicle has keyless entry and the fob is dropped through the garage's letter box.   The vehicle may be drivable in limp mode.

All the above have been confirmed by a Mayday representative and the CMC.   Although questioned on more than one occasion regarding the issue if it is after hours i. e. a Sunday, Bank holiday both have evaded the question or did not understand the question.

It looks like we will need to start shopping around for a more flexible breakdown company and one that will ensure that we are taken home after the caravan has been dropped off at the storage compound and that the car is kept safe until it can be delivered to the garage when the garage is open for business   I am now wondering if Red Pennant may have similar restrictions when returning back to England?

Thanks Durbanite.   I'm fortunate in that my storage is less than 10 miles from home.   I guess that I'd have the car recovered home and get the garage to come out and get it in due course.

I'm intrigued by your first sentence - does Personal Cover help in some way?

Edited by A11

55 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I am now wondering if Red Pennant may have similar restrictions when returning back to England?

When I had my last claim with RP the recovery was not with Green Flag/Mayday but an independent contractor, but that is some time back.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I did not have any problem when the clutch went on my car in Milton Keynes, the took me all the way to Liverpool they drop my caravan in storage, my car to a garage of my choice and took me home and that was on a Sunday.

If the car had to stay at the garage for repair you would be expected to make your own arrangements for pets as they are usually only allowed to travel in the car on the back on a recovery vehicle which is as you say a problem if the driver does not run you home and allow the dog in the cab .

The same for Europe if the vehicle has to be repatriated then you have got to make your own arrangements to get your dog home to UK .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

If the car had to stay at the garage for repair you would be expected to make your own arrangements for pets as they are usually only allowed to travel in the car on the back on a recovery vehicle which is as you say a problem if the driver does not run you home and allow the dog in the cab .

The same for Europe if the vehicle has to be repatriated then you have got to make your own arrangements to get your dog home to UK .

Dave

The issue is about the recovery destination which is why we would prefer to be taken home to offload personal luggage and pets and then to garage.   BTW with RP we pay the extra for the pets to be repatriated by RP.  

Someone we know stores their caravan in Northumberland and live in South Yorkshire, leaving it to the drivers discretion seams to be the best idea. 

The only time I've had poor service was from our local contractor and they're no longer agents, surprise surprise.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 4 weeks later...

After 3 weeks we got this reply from RAC Arrival and does have concerns for us as we always have pets travelling with us.  They would probably get very stressed being in the vehicle while it is being towed.

Thank you for your correspondence and apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

If we are unable to repair the vehicle, caravan or trailer, we will provide recovery of the vehicle and passengers to a single destination of your choice. If you are towing a caravan or trailer, we will take it to a location of your choice within 10 miles or up to 75 miles or unlimited miles based on your level of cover and circumstances.

I can confirm that we would not cover the cost of any transportation, accommodation or care of any animal. If we provide an onward transportation service for you and the passengers of a vehicle, any animals that were in the vehicle can only be transported in the broken down vehicle at your own risk. We will not transport animals in the recovery vehicle and we will not be liable for or insure any animal during any onward transportation, however any assistance animals must be transported with their owners.

As you have the option to be transported to a single destination of your choice, you can opt-in to be transported back to your home address first, then ring us again to arrange another tow to your trusted garage. There are many more options / alternatives depending on your breakdown circumstances at that moment. 

This really only affects those who store greater than 10 miles from home and, I would have thought the numbers would be very small.  My storage is about 5 miles so van to store; car to home - job done.  Paul B's example must surely be rare?

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

With Mayday it is the issue with getting home after the caravan has been dropped off at the storage.  At their discretion Mayday may take the vehicle to a garage within 10 miles however then you still have to get home with luggage and any pets that you may have with you. 

The alternative could be RAC Arrival which will make sure that you and pets are home after dropping caravan off a storage place and then take vehicle to garage.