Sign in to follow this  
Jammyjase

combi boiler on return to caravan

hi all

i drained down my static van at the end of last season successfully for the first time and i am returning to the van in three weeks time.   my question/concern is when i return to the van and reattach my shower and close all the taps and drain down taps under van and boiler do i need to do anything regarding the combi boiler or do i just run the taps to get the water flowing through again.   should i leave it switched off also until i am happy the water is coming through the taps ok.

i think the answer to this is going to be yes but i just dont want to miss a vital thing that may damage the boiler.

thanks

jason

I think for you to get a definitive answer, we need to know the make and type of boiler and system.

Is it a caravan or domestic one?

Did you drain down the radiators - if so, do you have the correct inhibitor and anti freeze to replace the fluid?

A combi boiler is usually one that provides both a near instantaneous hot water supply as well as heating water for radiators including a pump. They have little or no hot water storage capacity (on smaller units anyway)  and is not something that is normally fitted to touring caravans - statics may be different.

If you’ve got  the Truma combi, all you need do is ensure it is powered off. Then fill your system until the water runs smoothly from all the taps. Refill your Aquaroll and heat up.  

Think you have described exactly what will be needed to refill and purge air from the hot (and cold) water systems.

The heating circuits - if also drained - may need a different approach?  Many would use antifreeze-inhibitor fluid so not be drained normally.   If drained, it would be wise to check / re-pressurise expansion vessels and maybe add inhibitor.

Only power on and open gas taps at the end; when there seems to be no leaks.   Personally I'd run the heating pump before turning on the gas, in case it is jammed and needs freeing up.

If in doubt call in a LPG Gas Safe man who knows and will service the boiler at the same time.

6 minutes ago, MalH said:

If you’ve got  the Truma combi, all you need do is ensure it is powered off. Then fill your system until the water runs smoothly from all the taps. Refill your Aquaroll and heat up.  

It's a STATIC caravan; it won't have either of those.  :ph34r:

Sorry, I didn’t read the OP properly 🤓

With any system it does no harm to ensure that it is full before turning the heat on, so I would do this rather than concern myself with whether or not I could do it in any other order.

Your van is probably fitted with a Morco boiler which will need the water to be run through to fill the system before firing it up.

The central heating circuit should not have been drained as it "should" have a anti freeze mixture in it which stays in.

When I had a static van, as previous posts have said the central heating system should not have been drained. Before starting the boiler close all taps and turn on the water (taps should have been left open over the winter), then open one cold water tap and purge air from that line, then proceed to open the other cold water taps and shower to purge all air from the system. Close all cold water taps, turn on power to boiler, turn temperature controls to max if they had been turn down and open a hot tap, (I found it useful to get gas through more quickly to the boiler to light all four rings on the gas cooker before opening a hot tap and firing up the boiler)

Hi

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for all your advice. The central heating system was not drained down as it has antifreeze in it. 

Could I ask also what the most efficient use of the combi heating is. I have it set to 70 and there are trv's on all radiators except bathroom one but there is no room thermostat in the van. Is it better to turn it off and on as needed or just let trv's do their job and leave it on. 

Hope that makes sense

Treat yourself to a wireless room thermostat. It should pay for itself many times over. For me it’s the most economical way to run the heating

1 hour ago, DaveE1 said:

Treat yourself to a wireless room thermostat. It should pay for itself many times over. For me it’s the most economical way to run the heating

If you have wifi get a Hive then you can monitor the temperature and turn it up when you are on the way.