My current tyres are 5 years old and need replacing. However, I'm finding it difficult to get retailers to guarantee that the supplied tyres will be less than 6 months old as I don't want to buy tyres that have already lost 2 or 3 years of their life. Typical comment from Blackcircles was that "Tyres are considered to be "new" and fit for retail for a period of up to 5 years from the date of production"  Can anybody recommend a retailer that will happily guarantee the age of the tyres they sell?

John M

There is no statutory age limit for caravan tyres, it is condition that counts not age.  

• Like 1

I recall reading that Michelin (mind you, what do they know about tyres?) say a tyre has an almost indefinite life when stored in the correct conditions, upright, not on its side, and out of daylight.

I wouldn't worry about a tyre being a year or so old before being fitted.

As DaveMillar says, condition is important, not age.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

There is no statutory age limit for caravan tyres, it is condition that counts not age.  

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I'm aware that there's no statutory age limit for tyres. However, both major clubs and tyre manufacturers recommend that caravan tyres are replaced after 5 years simply because of the way they are used which is much different to car tyres. My current tyres appear to be fine, but I'm not prepared to take the risk of running them beyond their recommended life. If you wish to do so, that's your prerogative. Other people must have had similar problems, I just hoped that somebody could help, I don't need advice on whether or not I choose to replace my tyres.

John M

Try a commercial vehicle tyre fitter in the afternoon when their rush is over, were very helpful to me in getting a pair under 6 months old.

Are you sure its 5 years old replace and not have examined, anyway I thought it was 7 years.

• Thanks 1

Ask to see the tyres before they fit them, check the DOT code for manufacturing date and refuse to accept them if the date is more than 6 months ago.

Simple.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, segapod said:

Ask to see the tyres before they fit them, check the DOT code for manufacturing date and refuse to accept them if the date is more than 6 months ago.

Simple.

Good advice but usually the place you are at does not have them in stock in first place.

I went through this last year and, despite being quite clear what I wanted, ended up with tyres just over 6 months old in date code.   The fitters are reliant on their suppliers sending them what they have and despite me asking for a newest week number, they sent the slightly older ones they listed as 'in stock' for fitting.

Best to Talk to smaller local fitters who are most likely to do their best to get what you want.

However, other Tyre threads on here have bought from various sources and got relatively new tyres quite readily, seemingly by chance?  {Use the forum search.}

Caravan Club recommend replacement after 5 years and not use beyond 7. ..  from manufacture date rather than fitting date.

2 hours ago, millerhouse12 said:

I don't need advice on whether or not I choose to replace my tyres.

I'll keep quiet then

• Like 2

I used Tyres On The Drive last year after someone both recommended them and also that suggested a big firm may have larger turnover and not have old tyres lying around.

They were excellent, competively priced, and the tyres were 3 months old.

John

I had mine from national tyres, I asked them to get me new tyres not last years, he said that they get what's delivered.

I explained why and said I wasn't going to buy them if they weren't recent tyres, he understood and said if they were over 3 or 4 months he'll send them back and have another go.

The first lot they sent were ok :)

2 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

I used Tyres On The Drive last year after someone both recommended them and also that suggested a big firm may have larger turnover and not have old tyres lying around.

They were excellent, competively priced, and the tyres were 3 months old.

John

Thanks. Unfortunately they don't cover this far North. I thought that Blackcircles would be big enough to have good turnover and they may do but wouldn't commit to supplying recent date codes.

John M

My twin axle was fitted with standard car tyres I believe as the weight distribution negates the need for caravan tyres. This is standard fitment from the manufacturers. Doesn't help with single axle I know but thought I would share.

On a previous caravan I did have difficulty with the size so went to main dealer of the caravan and his service dept. were able to supply and fit from their own stock.

20 minutes ago, millerhouse12 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately they don't cover this far North. I thought that Blackcircles would be big enough to have good turnover and they may do but wouldn't commit to supplying recent date codes.

John M

Sorry about that, John - I assumed that as they are part of Halfords there would be nationwide coverage.

TotD also wouldn't commit to a particular age, but did say that they were rarely over 6 months old, and I could reject them if unsuitable.

John

I bought Goodyear Cargo tyres through the Asda web site. They nominate a couple of fitting companies  near your post code and you chose. You do not pay in advance as you pay the fitting company on completion. I phoned the fitting company to agree the date/time and told them I would not accept anything older than 6 months. they were happy with this and I got exactly what I wanted. These tyres were replacements for the very old tyres supplied with my brand new Swift. I did a deal with the caravan dealer and bought them myself.  

I used a mobile fitter who has been mentioned on CT before to fit new Bridgestones for me. He is a caravanner himself and pointed out the date codes on the new tyres - they were about 3 months old.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and have the peace of mind.

Soon  as tyres are made they have anti aging chemicals and they start drying out and eventually they will crack .

Unless a tyre is under 3 months refuse it as your buying a new tyre .

Last set of Dunlop tyres China made was 6 weeks old .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I am looking for new tyres for our van, had some good local quotes but the moment I mention Tyron Bands the majority have said,  "whats that" or, can't do it.

Having contacted our dealer, they gave me the name of their local tyre supplier who offered me GT Kargos 185 R14s fitted for £76.00 each.

On 11/02/2019 at 16:47, Johnaldo said:

I assumed that as they are part of Halfords there would be nationwide coverage.

Blackcircles are owned by Michelin,not Halfords!

geoff

9 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Blackcircles are owned by Michelin,not Halfords!

geoff

Geoff, they may well be, but we were discussing Tyres On The Drive!

John :)

````````I am looking for new tyres for our van, had some good local quotes but the moment I mention Tyron Bands the majority have said,  "whats that" or, can't do it.

Having contacted our dealer, they gave me the name of their local tyre supplier who offered me GT Kargos 185 R14s fitted for £76.00 each. What is your opinion of these please

It's a long time back since I thought of Tyron bands and then it was only Keik-fit that had staff you could handle them, I also remember being told to always carry the special tool and instructions with me if out and going somewhere else.

Special tool I think might have been some sort of Allen key.

6 minutes ago, David Park said:

It's a long time back since I thought of Tyron bands and then it was only Keik-fit that had staff you could handle them, I also remember being told to always carry the special tool and instructions with me if out and going somewhere else.

Special tool I think might have been some sort of Allen key.

Indeed Special Tool is a long allen key...my tyre deport happy to change tyres last year,however,in view of extra time taken with Tyron fitted it was another £5 a tyre.

geoff

21 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Geoff, they may well be, but we were discussing Tyres On The Drive!

John :)

Ah mention of both companies in same frame fooled me!

Halfords are actually a minor shareholder of T.o.t.D, bulk owned by MMC Investments...not that that matters anyway!

geoff

You could try Openeo and buy the tyres and then get a local tyre fitters fit them which might be cheaper .

Dave