LunerPremier516L

Using the Awning Light 12v Connection.. Help

Hi All,

I'm in the process of making new LED strip lights for my awning. I am following a fab tutorial on making them provided by Dan Trudgian. I know many would have seen this awesome project.  

What I need help with is some how modifying my current awning/door light which is 12v so I can plug in the new awning strip lights. Can I simply wire them to the Bulb connectors? As most of the Led strips are made using 2. 1mm DC Sockets and Cables could it be posible to use the bulb terminals and install a female 2. 1mm DC socket to the underside of the light. I hope this makes sense!

The current door light looks like the attached photo.

Any help will be appreciated!

AwningLight.jpg

I think your issue will be water if you use a female connector . You could put a connector in a outside locker which will keep it dry or you could use the marine type connector that some caravan manufacturers use for water pumps on the side or something with a cover .

https://www. marinesuperstore. com/wiring/outlets-plugs/waterproof-plug-socket?variant=03752&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=pcn&utm_term=99467968&utm_campaign=MSS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlOWW8qiy4AIVirftCh18HQJGEAQYAyABEgJt9_D_BwE

I watched it a while ago myself and Dan makes a good job of the awning lights and an ideal money saver and winter night job . I was only watching one his videos yesterday .

Video here for anyone who wants a project .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Mmmm. Good points. I'm going to think more on this.

Although it would be less tidy, in the interests of avoiding water ingress when not in use I would be inclined to modify an external TV aerial socket to take a DC plug, and take the feed through a cupboard or locker on the inside.

Have a look around, you can get 2. 1mm sockets with a rubber bung to make them water resistant. Fit them with a smear of silicon and they should be OK

like this https://www. ebay. com/p/Waterproof-3a-5-5mm-X-2-1mm-DC-Power-Plug-Connector-Socket-Charger-Panel-Mount/1393099026

I converted and modified my awing light to LED but all things that use 12v are via a 12v socket, I used my awning heater outlet for this, as a awing heater it provided as much heat as a candle in the wind, we use an extra jumper or a granny blanket for warmth,

As a 12v outlet its brilliant, here's a picture of it as a phone charger.

ps I bought a 12v rope light for an awning light from aldi or lidl for about £3, but as we use non hookups we tend to use our solar powered rope lights, those and the converted caravan awning light is ample for us.

5a7c07a942e95_gallery_384_1578_9065321.jpg.7eae64e29bbbf849d60b7d9aa041eadf[1].jpg  

On 11/02/2019 at 08:31, matelodave said:

Have a look around, you can get 2. 1mm sockets with a rubber bung to make them water resistant. Fit them with a smear of silicon and they should be OK

like this https://www. ebay. com/p/Waterproof-3a-5-5mm-X-2-1mm-DC-Power-Plug-Connector-Socket-Charger-Panel-Mount/1393099026

I have these on order. It's a good Idea, great minds think alike. I think I'm going to pour some water on the light to double check if water gets in elsewhere.

On 11/02/2019 at 08:56, Paul_B said:

I converted and modified my awing light to LED but all things that use 12v are via a 12v socket, I used my awning heater outlet for this, as a awing heater it provided as much heat as a candle in the wind, we use an extra jumper or a granny blanket for warmth,

As a 12v outlet its brilliant, here's a picture of it as a phone charger.

ps I bought a 12v rope light for an awning light from aldi or lidl for about £3, but as we use non hookups we tend to use our solar powered rope lights, those and the converted caravan awning light is ample for us.

5a7c07a942e95_gallery_384_1578_9065321.jpg.7eae64e29bbbf849d60b7d9aa041eadf[1].jpg  

The only outlet I could use is the external 240v plug socket. Which would defeat my main goal which is to keep the wiring up high and not dangle from the top of the van down.   Wanted to keep the cable away from my young children.  

On 11/02/2019 at 08:14, Stevan said:

Although it would be less tidy, in the interests of avoiding water ingress when not in use I would be inclined to modify an external TV aerial socket to take a DC plug, and take the feed through a cupboard or locker on the inside.

Might have to look into running the cable through a window and to a socket.   I could try find a way to wire a 12v 2. 1mm female socket in to one of the top cupboards.   Is it possible to run 12v when on EHU? Should be able to as I believe my external light is 12v and possibly the main ceiling light. Hope this makes sense!

I kept things simple by just swapping the old tungsten lamp for an LED one, still within the same housing.

Simple, cheap, easy, adequate.

Good luck with your mod.

7 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I kept things simple by just swapping the old tungsten lamp for an LED one, still within the same housing.

Simple, cheap, easy, adequate.

Good luck with your mod.

Adequate is a personal thing and although Ive upgraded my awning light substantially, it's still no adequate to illuminate the awning.

I did convert the exiting fitting:

IMG_1556.thumb.JPG.78854cdebd00ebc94090fe9b83f204ce.JPGIMG_1554.thumb.JPG.a27a494b43f7c029496ec4d65eec710b.JPGol9a.jpg.2f9cdd7da9cd4647bdce840a3906f65a.jpg

8 hours ago, LunerPremier516L said:

Might have to look into running the cable through a window and to a socket.   I could try find a way to wire a 12v 2. 1mm female socket in to one of the top cupboards.   Is it possible to run 12v when on EHU? Should be able to as I believe my external light is 12v and possibly the main ceiling light. Hope this makes sense!

In modern vans all the lights are 12v. In most older vans there are just two mains powered reading lamps, the rest being 12v.

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

In modern vans all the lights are 12v. In most older vans there are just two mains powered reading lamps, the rest being 12v.

Cool. Will investigate further!

If the old unit has a bulb similar to a car interior light they can readily be replaced with LEDs available cheaply on eBay.