CJML

Cleaning Wastepipes

I want to clean the kitchen and bathroom wastepipes and would like to know if there’s a product that can be bought in a normal supermarket as I am in southern Spain at the moment.  The only English supermarket I am now is Morrison’s, in Gibraltar.   Also when I return home can anyone recommend a product that can be bought from a caravan shop.  Thanks.

I use Mr Muscle, Cillit Bang or Buster drain cleaner but do ensure that you dont leave it sitting on top of aluminium plug-holes as caustic stuff will corrode them. Even ordinary washing soda will dissolve some of the grease

I put a drain hose onto the outlet and raise it up so that the liquid can sit in the pipes for an hour or so. It's amazing how much crud comes out.

Edited by matelodave

Also don't use boiling hot water...

In our house sink, basin and shower drains I use thick bleach and leave it for a few hours to remove the black mould that blocks them but parts that are easy to take apart can be mechanically cleaned easily such as U bends/bottle traps. Asda sell their own label brand for 60p for a litre as do other supermarkets. Thin bleach will flow easier but is not as effective. In a caravan it might be easy enough to push a long curtain wire through the drains.

11 hours ago, CJML said:

I want to clean the kitchen and bathroom wastepipes and would like to know if there’s a product that can be bought in a normal supermarket as I am in southern Spain at the moment.  The only English supermarket I am now is Morrison’s, in Gibraltar.   Also when I return home can anyone recommend a product that can be bought from a caravan shop.  Thanks.

It will be cheaper and often better to buy from a janitorial suppler, ask for a bio drain cleaner, quite often they come as a bio multi surface cleaner.

I buy mine by the gallon from a Barnsley firm and put a glug down the drains on a regular basis.

Cleaned ours out with a bowl full of diluted Milton, available for most supermarkets.

Kept the mixture far stronger than for its normal uses.

Plugged the drain pipe ends up first and let it settle for and hour, released plenty of crud when the pipes were opened up again.

Also works a treat on removing those brown tea/coffee stains from the insides of cups and mugs.

As said, stronger products out there.

I use Elsan Grey Waste Water Tank Fresh, it's nice and gloopy and smells nice too. I always put a drop down both sinks at the end of a weekend away. Doesn't do any harm either.

1 hour ago, toby6033 said:

I use Elsan Grey Waste Water Tank Fresh, it's nice and gloopy and smells nice too. I always put a drop down both sinks at the end of a weekend away. Doesn't do any harm either.

Once he's back home he'll be able to get Fenwick's wastepipe and drain cleaner too :)

Be careful to avoid using neat bleach or anything very caustic as this will make the convoluted  flexible tubes brittle and they will fail. I know because I did this and we had a gusher whilst in Spain because the convoluted hose cracked. I think if there is a smell from the basin or shower tray it is often coming from the Waste-master. These are fairly easy to clean.

Found a short piece cut from a standard (if there is such a thing) wooden broom handle blocked the exit hole perfectly to allow soaking of pipes.   Slight swelling as it got wet made it a tug to pull out but still easy.  

As for what to use there have been a few suggestions already.

This will be very unhelpful as CJML is in Gibraltar two weeks our waste pipes froze when they thored out all the grease etc came out as well! I am not what Mercadona sell there but I like HK drain cleaner in smaller amounts then the directions it works well for me.