Daveg

What belongs to caravan

Hi 

Im trading my caravan shortly and am wondering what belongs to the old caravan and should be part of it, or what is mine to take into new caravan .

Im going from Bailey Olympus 534  to  Elddis Affinity 550

Water pump ?

Battery?

Elec mains cable ?

Water pump for aqua roll ?

Gas bottle pigs tail?

Al-Ko lock ?

Also will they fit a new number plate on van if you give them details of reg ?

Been a long time, so a little forgetful .

Any advice appreciated 

Thanks 

Only you can get a number plate as you need proof of address (driving licence) and the V5.

If selling to a dealer keep the stuff you need for the new van. Otherwise it is up to you what you agree with tge buyer.

My take on this is, if it came with the van, it should go with the van, if you bought it as an extra, take it with you.  The exception being the mains lead, which you can keep, because a new one has to be supplied with every van, whether new or used.

Edited by Glen and Les
  • Like 1

Some dealers have their own list of things to be left in and will rob you blind for anything missing, deducting it from their previously agreed offer. If you let them!

• Like 1

Just changed my van and dealer expected original equipment  to be left.

That included pump, plastic original steps, external shower thingy, mover  on/off handle, corner steady winder but not battery, pig tails or AlKo lock.   (AlKo locks are caravan specific so you may need a new lozenge but can re-use your lock bit.    Check ebay for your new lock number and you may get the red cast iron bit for about £20.   If you have to buy from AlKo think around £150 I think - disgusting. . And then add on a further £11 for the plastic that protects the wheel! 

I didn't leave my elec. cable and it maybe that dealers must supply new for health and safety compliance - not sure about that.  

As for number plate they simply remove your plate from the old van and re-use it on the new! 

Ive always left  in the step, water pump connection to aquaroll and alko wheel lock. These are things provided with the van.

I have taken out pigtails and mains hook up. These too were provided with the van, but not things that a Dealer would normally leave in a second hand van.

Battery provided by me comes out.

Anything I have fitted which can be reasonably removed without making a mess or leaving holes comes out, otherwise left in.

Mover comes off and fitted on new van, unless new van comes with a mover provided by Dealer or Manufacturer.

Number plate comes off, and Dealer usually fits a new one on my new van. I take their fitted plate off and fit my own back on, because it does not have any GB or Euro badges and no Dealer name.

Edited by hp100425ev

In our case, the water pump was an inboard one so it stayed with the old van, (new one also had an inboard pump).

The dealer swapped our motor mover complete with battery from the old one onto the new one.

Dealer asked for the old hook up cable, new one supplied with new caravan.

Gas bottle pigtail left on the old van, new one supplied with the new van.

AlKo lozenge was specific to the old van, so it was left with it. Bought a Purple line wheel clamp for the new van, (Van specific AlKo lozenge was £250 with a 3 month wait!!!)

They just took the number plate off the old van and fitted it to the new one. No need to order a new one.

This was all agreed with the dealer before the sale was finalised. You will need to sort all this with the dealer, (if one is involved), or agreed with the buyer if it is a private sale.

Hope this helps, Mike.

Edited by Townie

If they dont supply a new number plate just have them swap the number plate from the old van onto the new one as they wont need it as you are not selling them the car.

I would take the battery, mains cable and the alko lock if its a hitch lock, if it's a wheel lock I would take it if if fits the new caravan.

Just PX my van everything that came with it when I bought it new was left in the caravan except for the TV which I had to replace.

A good dealer will swap over your number plate and battery foc if you ask. A very good dealer may even offer you a meal in their cafeteria foc while you wait!

I asked them to swap over the gas pigtail as well, but they refused on the grounds of it being out of date. Instead they provided a new one foc!

Edited by Stevan

Just PX our van, left everything that it came with apart from the electric hook up lead, dealer said they supply new leads with all vans. .. new or secondhand.  

5 hours ago, Daveg said:

Hi 

Im trading my caravan shortly and am wondering what belongs to the old caravan and should be part of it, or what is mine to take into new caravan .

Water pump ?

Battery?

Elec mains cable ?

Gas bottle pigs tail?

Al-Ko lock ?

Any advice appreciated 

Thanks 

why not ask them if they will fit a number plate, how are we expected to know??? :)

I would think they would fit a number plate for you, they may however want to see the V5

macafee2

16 hours ago, Daveg said:

Hi 

Water pump ?

Battery?

Elec mains cable ?

Gas bottle pigs tail?

Al-Ko lock ?

Any advice appreciated 

Thanks 

Water pump ?                                   Stays with caravan

Battery?                                               This is yours

Elec mains cable ?                           Dealer cannot use it unless they get it certified by a electrician!

Water pump for aqua roll ?        Stays with caravan however should only be one water pump for caravan

Gas bottle pigs tail?                        Stays with caravan

Al-Ko lock ?                                          If it came standard with caravan, it goes with caravan.   If you bought it               

afterwards you keep it.

It cost the dealer to get the EHU cable certified so cheaper to sell a new one to the new owner.   You keep the old one as a spare.

When I traded last 6 season old caravan in at end of 2017 

Water Pump - should go with caravan but I advised the dealer to replace as it would be mucky after 750 nights usage but a useful spare pump for me.

Battery - no UK van comes with battery as far as I know.

Mains cable - mine is an unopened spare kept as dealer replaces.

Gas bottle pig tail - not supplied with caravan although I left mine on. It would have been nearly 6 years old anyway

Alko lock - came with my van, although not with all vans and was returned with van.

External shower and direct water - connection returned with van unused

Tow Ball - came with our van but obviously not returned. It sits, unused, in my garage

Plastic step - although it came with van I retained and suggested that due to its age the dealer replaced. Our window cleaner uses it at one end of the bungalow!

26 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It cost the dealer to get the EHU cable certified so cheaper to sell a new one to the new owner.   You keep the old one as a spare.

Surely most dealers have a qualified electrician on the staff and therefore it wouldn't cost them extra to checkout a cable and plugs?

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Surely most dealers have a qualified electrician on the staff and therefore it wouldn't cost them extra to checkout a cable and plugs?

I doubt very much if any dealership has a full time qualified electrician employed as the cost can not be justified.   I think a qualified electrician would earn circa £25k or more?

if the al-ko lock is a wheel  lock unless same wheels on new van let it go with old van, if hitch lock and it fits new hitch keep it.   If you want to sell it if a wheel lock then do that

macafee2 

58 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

if the al-ko lock is a wheel  lock unless same wheels on new van let it go with old van, if hitch lock and it fits new hitch keep it.   If you want to sell it if a wheel lock then do that

macafee2 

Not sure but don't think that the Bailey came standard with an ALKO secure lock so the lock may belong to OP who can sell it Online.

18 hours ago, V8Vmarkie said:

Just PX our van, left everything that it came with apart from the electric hook up lead, dealer said they supply new leads with all vans. .. new or secondhand.  

Our dealer wanted the lead back.   They don't take long to test.

1 hour ago, macafee2 said:

macafee2 

If the AL-KO wheel lock came as standard with the caravan from new it should stay with it.

When we bought our Conqueror it was 2 years old, as standard it came with Atex TV and the AL-KO wheel lock which were provided on delivery.

If buying new new. then most vans come with a starter pack like ehu,water and waste containers. if a mover is fitted it will come with a battery. so i would ask the dealer what comes with it from new

Edited by smino0_1

All vans come with steps, EHU lead, water hose with pump if relevant, kitchen sink basin and masses of bumph. All of it is supplied by the factory and included in the van's MIRO weight. Most dealers offer a starter pack which can include Aquaroll, Wastemaster, battery, gas cylinder and other bits and pieces, this is often supplied free of charge to caravanning newbies, but old hands are expected to pay for it. As most probably have all that stuff anyway, it's no great hardship.

If it's not bolted down and it isn't needed to make the caravan work (water pump etc) then take it.  Everything has a value online......

On 10/02/2019 at 17:30, Glen and Les said:

My take on this is, if it came with the van, it should go with the van, if you bought it as an extra, take it with you.  The exception being the mains lead, which you can keep, because a new one has to be supplied with every van, whether new or used.

:goodpost: