Disco Kid

non standard satellite channel numbers

Having decided to get satellite tv for the van, I bought a pack containing dish and satellite receiver (Ross) . . 

The channel numbers the receiver shows,when connected to Astra 28 satellite, are 1,2,3,4 etc up to 58 . . Not corresponding to the expected transmitters

It doesn't recognise 101,102,103 etc

Anyone else use a Ross receiver, like this?

Edited by Disco Kid

can you say which model  you have?

You might find you have allocate new channel numbers by swapping the channels .

Some you can set up as favourite channels .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

15 minutes ago, Disco Kid said:

Having decided to get satellite tv for the van, I bought a pack containing dish and satellite receiver (Ross) . . 

The channel numbers the receiver shows,when connected to Astra 28 satellite, are 1,2,3,4 etc up to 58 . . Not corresponding to the expected transmitters

It doesn't recognise 101,102,103 etc

Anyone else use a Ross receiver, like this?

It's a generic receiver without preset UK  channels.

The '100' channels are HD so is it an HD receiver?

29 minutes ago, beejay said:

It's a generic receiver without preset UK  channels.

The '100' channels are HD so is it an HD receiver?

Thanks . . I don't think I can use it in my planned set up then . . I do have an old-ish Bush STB which I can use and which will fit in the carrying case with the dish and cable which will do the job . . All is not lost . . 

Thanks for the info

It's because the receiver is  FTA (free to air) box. The other drawback is that there will be no program guide.

Best thing to do is to buy a "Freesat" receiver which will come up with the usual channel numbers and a proper program guide, usually HD programs too. Beware that "Freesat" or "Freesat+" will not usually have a proper signal strength meter which you may need for setting up the dish, neither will they work with the LNBs that have the little LED light to assist with dish alignment.

• Confused 1

My Humax freesat PVR has an extremely good working signal meter (two actually, one for each tuner).  I doubt that most sat receivers don't have a signal meter of some sort - even $ky ones did (Q allegedly don't?).

FTA sat receivers allocate channel numbers to programme channels as they are found during a scan.   Apart from the lack of EPG, once tuned in and the favourite / wanted channels sorted into the owner's logical order / favourites then they should be perfectly usable for watching TV.

I'd expect a lot more than 58 free to air TV channels to be found though. ..  so dish alignment may be out or some other issue (OP is in the UK with this setup?).  Ross receiver model number could help, also.

18 hours ago, segapod said:

. ............................, neither will they work with the LNBs that have the little LED light to assist with dish alignment.

I appreciate that the LED on the LNB won't work unless connected to the correct type of STB . . but should a standard UK Freesat box be able to work with the LNB . . 

I aligned the dish with a satellite finder I used setting up on my last house, so I know the signal was coming in OK, but my old Bush Freesat box isn't seeing any signal . . 

It could be the box of course, but it was working 18 months ago when I moved house.

7 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

FTA sat receivers allocate channel numbers to programme channels as they are found during a scan.   Apart from the lack of EPG, once tuned in and the favourite / wanted channels sorted into the owner's logical order / favourites then they should be perfectly usable for watching TV.

I will be using the Freesat box to feed an original Thomson TiVo PVR and it will require the standard channel numbers (101, 102 . ..  etc.) so the Ross box will not be suitable . .

Model numbers will help people Google for the manuals and/or specs of the devices to see if there's anything relevant/helpful in them.

But something ain't right if you only get 58 channels on one and none on another receiver connected.   Duff receivers, duff lnb or just misalignment.

I 'd expect that you can re-number the received channels as part of the Ross receiver customisation process but you will need to : read the manual : .    This TiVo/sat rx SD analogue input recording arrangement seems slightly barking in today's twin-tuner freesat HD-capable PVR marketplace that records the digital bitstreams.   £170 gets you a 1TB refurbed Humax https://www. humaxdirect. co. uk/refurbished/freesat-recorder-hdr-1100s-1tb-black-refurbished. html

30 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

This TiVo/sat rx SD analogue input recording arrangement seems slightly barking in today's twin-tuner freesat HD-capable PVR marketplace that records the digital bitstreams.

Sorry, old hat it may be, but I haven't found anything with the capabilities of the original TiVo . . still using it at home even though I have a Humax Freeview PVR (Useless piece of kit) feeding it . . I don't need multituner, and the scart feed from the TiVo provides all the definition I need( OK, so my TV is only 43") . . 

2 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

I appreciate that the LED on the LNB won't work unless connected to the correct type of STB . . but should a standard UK Freesat box be able to work with the LNB . .

Yes

7 minutes ago, segapod said:

2 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

Yes

OH Dear . . looks like my old Freesat Box has had it then . . Thanks . .

Lost me totally, TiVo,Humax could be names of aliens. ..looks if I will have to stick with Freeview on my Avtex. ..I understand them.

geoff

3 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

I aligned the dish with a satellite finder I used setting up on my last house, so I know the signal was coming in OK, but my old Bush Freesat box isn't seeing any signal . . 

It could be the box of course, but it was working 18 months ago when I moved house.

I will be using the Freesat box to feed an original Thomson TiVo PVR and it will require the standard channel numbers (101, 102 . ..  etc.) so the Ross box will not be suitable . .

Why not simply move the channels onto the correct numbers, takes a little time, but perfectly possible,.

52 minutes ago, bspks said:

Why not simply move the channels onto the correct numbers, takes a little time, but perfectly possible,.

Must have a look at trying to do that tomorrow, but haven't found anything like that in the Ross manual yet . .

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Lost me totally, TiVo,Humax could be names of aliens. ..looks if I will have to stick with Freeview on my Avtex. ..I understand them.

geoff

Been on a lot of sites (CLs) where no (or very poor) Freeview reception . . so decided to go Satellite

2 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

OH Dear . . looks like my old Freesat Box has had it then . . Thanks . .

Much more likely that your dish alignment is wrong.

Set the dish up using the FTA box then simply swap receivers once you've established a signal and are getting BBC programs.

PS: If the Freesat box hasn't beenused for a while you'll need to rescan the satellite as freqquencies have changed.

Edited by segapod
PS added

1 hour ago, segapod said:

Set the dish up using the FTA box then simply swap receivers once you've established a signal and are getting BBC programs.

That was pencilled in for tomorrow . . but thanks for your interest . .

On 11/02/2019 at 19:59, segapod said:

Did that (again) . . eventually sorted . . now all boxes  working together fine . .

Its a bit of a bother for one night stops, but I can (often )use Freeview direct into the TV if I am desperate . . 

Thanks again . .