TerraCresta

Quasar 2007 Aeriel

Hello all,

Just (hopefully) a quick yes or no question. Google hasn't helped. Is the aeriel on a Quasar 2007 compatible with a Freeview box?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it will be.   A UHF TV aerial is a UHF TV aerial and works for analogue (no longer broadcast) as well as the DVB-T/-T2 signals broadcast today.

How well it works depends on exact make and model of the aerial, and where you park the caravan.

Thanks for the info! I'll try a cheap freeview box and see what I can pick up.  

Most TVs have Freeview tuners built in?  Does yours not?

2 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Most TVs have Freeview tuners built in?  Does yours not?

No, it's an old Samsung 22" panel. Given great service though over last 10 years!

22 hours ago, TerraCresta said:

No, it's an old Samsung 22" panel. Given great service though over last 10 years!

Really surprised at that - unless by panel you mean a PC monitor type unit*:   

DVB-T started officially in the UK on 15th November 1998 - 20 years ago.   DSO occurred between 2009 and 2012.

What model number is that TV/panel?

* Not all PC monitors will work with TV picture refresh frequencies, so cannot display the output from a STB.

I thought built-in HD tuner on small screen tv’s was a recent move.

Our 27” LG that we have used in the van for the last 6 months has built-in HD tuner and satellite tuner, but as we moved up over the last 10 years from 18”, through 22” and 24”, non of them had HD tuners, and the 24” is only 2 years old.

44 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

I thought built-in HD tuner on small screen tv’s was a recent move.

Who mentioned HD tuners in this thread?  (DVB-T2 in the UK needed).

Use of the Freeview / Freeview HD logo was disallowed from 32-inch plus screen without DVB-T2 tuners from January 2016,  and has since January 2017 been withdrawn for all screen sizes.   Old stock could / can still be sold, however.   

Just to clarify - as it's drifting a bit off topic! The TV does receive a digital signal but doesn't appear to tune in to all Freeview channels - many are missing. If I buy a cheap Freeview set top box will the missing channels appear or is it simply that the signal is poor?

2 minutes ago, TerraCresta said:

Just to clarify - as it's drifting a bit off topic! The TV does receive a digital signal but doesn't appear to tune in to all Freeview channels - many are missing. If I buy a cheap Freeview set top box will the missing channels appear or is it simply that the signal is poor?

The sensitivity of Freeview tuners can vary from model to model, as can the signal strength by geographical location or aerial quality.

Maybe a separate Freeview box would help, maybe not.

A good start would be to check the TV in a different location, at home perhaps, with a known good signal.