david82150

13 pin plug problem

Hi everyone,

in sunny Spain and have a problem I need to fix before I can move on.

When the van is plugged in my nearside indicator rear comes on permanently with no lights on.

I think I have a short between two pins but can not get into the plug to check.

It is an Italian plug  paper attached.

I have tried twisting the end but nothing moves.

A pity I have to do anything with it as it is a very positive action.

thanks for help david82150 

0[1].jpg

Could be in the plug but also could be a problem in the socket and also the relay if fitted . I would try and plug another caravan in if you can to check if the fault is in the car or caravan . Is there a junction box under the bunk that the lights go to and can cause the issue .

Have you got a green cap to reset the plug as the centre pins can turn out of position . https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/MAYPOLE-GREEN-CAP-FOR-8-13-PIN-PLUGS-MP1280B-/322418143939?redirect=mobile

Could be a earth somewhere as they cause issues with lights and might not be in the plug .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

You really need to start by identifying whether the fault is in the car or caravan!

If you have a multi metre you can check which pins are always live.

Pin 4 should only be live when the right indicator should be on. If it is constant live the fault is in the car. If it pulses with the indicator the fault is in the caravan.

• Like 1

In a 13 pin plug/socket assembly, Pin 1 (left indicator) is adjacent to Pin 9 (permanent power) so in theory a short between them would lead to the situation you describe.

If nothing is odd with your towing vehicle lights with or without the caravan plugged-in, I would first look at the plug on the caravan to see if there is a fault as described there.

John.

When I had something similar, there was water in the car socket.

If you can narrow it down to either the socket or the plug then I would recommend changing it (or them). In my experience any fault not obvious justifies this. It's by far the quickest option.

These plugs are an aquired knack to undo LOL. I've high-lighted the relevant features. Unless you have a green cap note the position of the key first!

The inside needs to be rotated anti-clockwise (you should hear a click) to the position shown, this might need some (or a lot of!) patience LOL.   Locate the key (on the inside), & note the relative position of the arrow. The slot is then in line with another key on the inside of the outer body & with a bit of persuasion from a rod pushed through the rubber shroud, it should push out. Best of luck.

20190210_153248.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

I did not tell the full story before so here goes.

Always had problems lining up even with the green cap.

I guess it was an inferior plug.

So coming out here I decided while I was sunning myself  I would pay a fitter while we were in Portugal to fit me a new one. Very well done and this super new type plug fitted.

He tested all and it was all ok.

This last Friday we moved to Spain and when connecting the car the light came on.

Waggled it about and got here to Spain.

Now I have to get in it to look at pin1 and pin 9 as one of you kindly suggested.

I guess a small bit of wire is between the two.

This is a super plug but I can not see how to open it.

Thanks all

david82150

i

A 13 pin plug wiring diagram just in case you can't readily lay your hands on one out there.

20190111_100644.thumb.png.95d6a058af9a4c92c7a6d19d371fdc0f.png

• Thanks 1

Does THIS video help?

Thanks all for your help.

I had a local Spanish engineer come to sort it out and he really struggled to get it to part which eventually it did.

Fault was a short between 1 and 9 so am now thankfully sorted.

Told the Portuguese guy what had happened so maybe he will be more careful in future.

I would have had a go myself but just couldnot get the plug to part.

Thanks all

david82150 

On 10/02/2019 at 16:03, John19 said:

In a 13 pin plug/socket assembly, Pin 1 (left indicator) is adjacent to Pin 9 (permanent power) so in theory a short between them would lead to the situation you describe. John

2 hours ago, david82150 said:

Thanks all for your help.

Fault was a short between 1 and 9 so am now thankfully sorted.

So John wins this week's star prize. 

Hi , we dont have a 13 pin plug here in NZ only 12 or 7 pin. Mine is the 12 pin on my Pegasus Rimimi and everything works correctly fridge and all so I wonder why the difference ? 

1 hour ago, James Donald said:

Hi , we dont have a 13 pin plug here in NZ only 12 or 7 pin. Mine is the 12 pin on my Pegasus Rimimi and everything works correctly fridge and all so I wonder why the difference ? 

Different countries have different standards, the 13 pin is standard across Europe for caravans. Single 7pin is still commonplace on trailers. Of the 13 one is spare so no surprise that your 12 pin works everything.

On 11/02/2019 at 21:35, WispMan said:

So John wins this week's star prize. 

Happy david82150 has got a resolution to his problem and thank you David for keeping us informed with some feedback.

John.