Sign in to follow this  
IanV8

Kampa electric pump fail

I have the yellow pump as shown below and the last time I tried to use it stopped every time it went from high volume to high pressure, tried adjusting the pressure setting but no change.

It is out of warranty so I was thinking about taking it apart and having a poke around even if I have to rewire it to take the pressure switch out.

Anybody had one apart?

Ian77F3B92C-5692-44BF-92E7-B35BD1969DE7.thumb.jpeg.2b1d7f4f9cb231e15ae5679bc2407253.jpeg

Remember that a warranty is immaterial and you may still have cover with SOGA or CRA 2015 depending on when it was bought.   At the price you are charged one would expect it to last several years.   My Ring compressor is still going strong 9 years after purchase.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Remember that a warranty is immaterial and you may still have cover with SOGA or CRA 2015 depending on when it was bought.   At the price you are charged one would expect it to last several years.   My Ring compressor is still going strong 9 years after purchase.

It will be a long time before the "reasonable" clause in the CRA has been tested through the courts often enough for us to properly understand what it means, but it certainly does not cut you off on the stroke of midnight on the date of expiry of the warranty.

Is that actually a "Kampa" brand? (Edit - I've just seen one on Amazon, but it's "Unavailable" which implies it hasn't been made for quite a while)

I seem to recall earlier versions of the Kampa air pumps (called "Breeze" and which I don't think were yellow) were notorious for failing very quickly. The latest ones (Gale by name) don't have the bad press of the earlier ones.

Have a go at fixing it, there's nothing to lose. Good luck.

Edited by daveat92

I am not sure I have any paperwork for the purchase, iirc it came from a caravan dealer on eBay.

These were the predecessor of the Breeze and Gale.

Didn't get round to looking at it today, too busy having lunch on the promenade in glorious sunshine.

Ian

19 hours ago, Stevan said:

It will be a long time before the "reasonable" clause in the CRA has been tested through the courts often enough for us to properly understand what it means, but it certainly does not cut you off on the stroke of midnight on the date of expiry of the warranty.

Although not defined in law, reasonable wait for i. e. parts to be fitted would be about a month however one would expect a pump to last a reasonable length of time and as CRA 2015 is 6 years then I would think that a pump should last a minimum of 6 years taking into consideration price paid and durability! 

You need to take into consideration the number of times it is used in a year which for the average person is a couple of times.   I would take it up initially with the supplier / manufacturer as just maybe they can do something about it.   If they refuse then it is up to the consumer to offer the proof regarding the fault etc.     Most people give up at that point.

12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Although not defined in law, reasonable wait for i. e. parts to be fitted would be about a month however one would expect a pump to last a reasonable length of time and as CRA 2015 is 6 years then I would think that a pump should last a minimum of 6 years taking into consideration price paid and durability! 

You need to take into consideration the number of times it is used in a year which for the average person is a couple of times.   I would take it up initially with the supplier / manufacturer as just maybe they can do something about it.   If they refuse then it is up to the consumer to offer the proof regarding the fault etc.     Most people give up at that point.

Yes, for low and medium value goods it is very unlikely that the various "reasonable" clauses will ever be fully tested through the courts because, sooner or later, one party inevitably gives up in the face of legal costs etc.

It is my understanding however that at the higher end of the scale, the old SOGA was tested far enough to establish that ten years was reasonable for a brand new caravan, which in turn, prompted the ten year water ingress warranties. (They were only confirming in writing and making a selling point out of what they knew full well was your legal entitlement anyway).

36 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It is my understanding however that at the higher end of the scale, the old SOGA was tested far enough to establish that ten years was reasonable for a brand new caravan, which in turn, prompted the ten year water ingress warranties. (They were only confirming in writing and making a selling point out of what they knew full well was your legal entitlement anyway).

However the 10 year warranty is very very limited and applies only to sealed joints so in reality a pointless warranty, but good for marketing.   :D

Ian i have this if you want it. just pay the postage if you want. i bought it brand new in devon. when i got home it wasnt working. foned up the dealer and they gave me the number of the makers. they just sent me out another brand new 1 and said keep the other or throw it. its been in the garage since last summer. got the pipes and bag etc. could be something simple ???

If i recall the pump runs but dosnt stop at the right pressure???? maybe wrong. lol

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Outdoor-Revolution-Stream-Electric-Pump/dp/B01M5IHFE6

If you dont want it maybe somebody may make use of it ?

Edited by smino0_1
  • Like 1

Update, took the top off and had a look and it was easy to see the pressure switch so shorted it out and tried the pump just using my finger to raise the pressure and it continued to run when it switched to high pressure but it sounded as if it was straining so I hooked up my Ctec type charger and it said fully charged and about 12. 7 volts, that seemed a bit low so stuck my meter across the battery and it was dropping to 8 volts on load.

I use a house alarm back up battery in the pump bag.

Connected the charger again but selected the motorcycle setting instead of car  and it showed a low battery so allowed it to charge for over 4 hours and when I checked the pump it was running like a dream.

Ian

Smino, thanks for the offer but happy now.

D3DEAFBA-F742-4C26-A260-6259324ECFA5.jpeg

14 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

Ian i have this if you want it. just pay the postage if you want. i bought it brand new in devon. when i got home it wasnt working. foned up the dealer and they gave me the number of the makers. they just sent me out another brand new 1 and said keep the other or throw it. its been in the garage since last summer. got the pipes and bag etc. could be something simple ???

If i recall the pump runs but dosnt stop at the right pressure???? maybe wrong. lol

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Outdoor-Revolution-Stream-Electric-Pump/dp/B01M5IHFE6

If you dont want it maybe somebody may make use of it ?

I can't fault the service from OR as I have phoned for extra spares and they have just sent them out no issues even a air tube they just asked the model and and sent it straight out not the slightest quibbles .

I use the same pump and have no problems .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave