Maverick777

Insulation & Keeping Warm

Hi All,

We have decide to site our Bailey Barcelona Caravan this season. 1st March - 30th November. I was wandering what is the best way to try and insulate during the colder periods. Is their a recommended reflective flooring insulation you can use? Is it worth lagging the pipes etc?

Thanks

Are you looking at insulating whilst you are using it, or when it’s unattended?

When in use there is little point as it has pretty decent insulation to keep you warm.

If when unattended by far the easiest thing to do is to drain everything down if there is likely to be a frost. Lagging the pipes isn’t really achievable as they are routed through some pretty inaccessible locations where you simply cannot get to them.   If you don’t drain everything down then realistically you are looking at some for, of low level heating, either on a timer or thermostat.  

Andy

I appreciate I can turn up the heating, but on extra layers of clothing. I was simply asking for alternatives in keeping the van insulated, by being greener, with some form of insulated reflective carpet/underlay. ...

Carpet underlay might help?  Would also give a nice feel to the floor.  You might have to cut a strip off the bottom of the bathroom door.  

30 minutes ago, Maverick777 said:

I appreciate I can turn up the heating, but on extra layers of clothing. I was simply asking for alternatives in keeping the van insulated, by being greener, with some form of insulated reflective carpet/underlay. ...

That makes things a lot clearer now!!

I mentioned draining your system down because you asked about lagging the pipes, and that is more about protection against freezing than keeping the inside toasty! 

Your floor is almost certainly a plywood and high density foam sandwich and, as such, has excellent insulation properties so there isn’t much more you can do to improve it, other than leave the carpet down of course! You could also use an under carpet heating mat, they are only about 300w output but act as reasonable background warming.

You could also try using some of the silvered insulation designed to go on the wall behind household radiators underneath your carpets, but I don’t know how long that would last as it’s not meant to be walked on. Or you could stick something like Celotex insulation on the underside of the floor, but that expensive stuff and frankly you would be better off paying for a little more gas and/or electricity to keep warm.

The other thing is to reduce draughts, and caravans have a lot of them due to the “drop vents” in the floor that are present to allow any escaping gas to “drop out” 

In addition a small porch awning over the habitation door will act as an “air-lock” to prevent too much warm air escaping when you open the door.

Andy

Andy has offered some very good advice and suggestions especially regarding a small porch awning.   The caravan is very insulated and no different to the thousands of caravans that are stored through the winter with no ill effects.

We bought some car insulation off eBayto cover the wheel arches and some other places.   Seems to work well.

Posted (edited)

Would silvered car windscreen shades work on floor if wanted more durable solution rather than that designed to go behind radiators etc?  Great if you already have any -   Use these in my VWT25 windows.

Edited by Janine00

Any insulation will help but floors and walls already have about an inch of polystyrene between the layers 

Best advice I was given was not to skimp when it comes to carpet underlay, it makes a world of difference to both insulation and everyday walking comfort as well ad the duration of the carpet. Good point on the pipes though, we haven't done this ourselves but interested to hear others opinions.

As Andy says no point in trying to insulate the pipes as most are inaccessible.  Draining if frost is likely is the answer.

However.  If your Barcelona is like my Valencia in this respect.  Just by removing the bottom fridge vent it is possible to insulate two pipes in a position where they are most vulnerable.

For general comfort though, static or touring.  The rugbuddy under carpet heating is fantastic, even if it’s only under the living area carpet.

http://rugbuddystore.com/

John

I don't know if the Barcelona has Alde or warm air heating.  if the latter then insulating any air pipes under the floor can make a difference.   I thought it to be very worthwhile.    Covered on the forum last year I think.

15 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

I don't know if the Barcelona has Alde or warm air heating.  if the latter then insulating any air pipes under the floor can make a difference.   I thought it to be very worthwhile.    Covered on the forum last year I think.

Its a Unicorn and they all have ALDE heating so no need to insulate pipework under the van

The advice to “drain evrything down” perhaps needs to be clarified.

There is no need to drain the Alde heating fluid, which is an antifreeze based product.

By “draining eveything down” it means the fresh water system, including the pump if it is an internal one.