paul2911

Sprite Sportstyle s4 2007

Hi,

Does anyone own the above caravan, looking at buying one as our first, to get into caravanning.  

Any tips?

TIA

:welcome: Paul,

"Sportstyle" sounds like a dealer special type of van, and the 4 in the name would probably make it a 4-berth.

Could you post a pic or give a description ?

John

Google has several bits of information.

geoff

Hi,

I am thinking at the moment it is similar to Alpine 4, though not sure as some of the specs seem different.  Hopefully going to take a look this afternoon so will try and find out more.

Many thanks for your replies,

Paul.

Hi,

I have been to see a sprite sportstyle s4 2007 today, priced at £5200, does this sounds reasonable? will be our first caravan so have no idea. ..

TIA

4 hours ago, paul2911 said:

I am thinking at the moment it is similar to Alpine 4, though not sure as some of the specs seem different.  

The Alpine 4 was/is popular for 'dealer specials' - the whole point of which was to have different (ie. higher) spec, such as alloy wheels, extra sockets, bbq point, different upholstery, microwave, fly screen, cushions, etc.

John

Is it dry? A damp van is expensive at any price!

At this age, condition is more important than age!

HI,

Looking around today, no obvious indications of damp around windows etc and no strong smells. I plan to go back at some point with a damp meter.

ahh yes, it does have alloys, and a few other bits, no microwave on this one.

its for sale at £5200, what's your thoughts on the price. relatively good condition on first inspection, no obvious signs of damp, though plan to return with damp meter. there are a few wear and tear knocks on the outside which I would guess awning poles etc, though non significant. the only downside for me is that there is a large "chunk" out of the kitchen work surface. .... seller says price is non negotiable but I have nothing to compare too!

TIA

Ask someone who knows where to test for damp to go with you.

52 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Ask someone who knows where to test for damp to go with you.

If I knew a single person who caravanned then it would be great haha!

Paul, I've had an Alpine 4 since new in 2011, but I'm not sure if the shape and design changed between 2007 and 2011.

Mine's been a great van with no major problems, just the usual little niggles in the first few months.

Regarding damp, the one spot to give greater attention to is low down at the back of the bathroom, but I think that was caused by a poor cassette door seal which I fixed.

There are firms which can repair worktops for you.

But it would be very difficult to say whether that was a good price or not without seeing it 'in the flesh'.

Good luck, John.

Edited by Johnaldo

4 hours ago, paul2911 said:

ahh yes, it does have alloys, and a few other bits, no microwave on this one.

its for sale at £5200, what's your thoughts on the price. relatively good condition on first inspection, no obvious signs of damp, though plan to return with damp meter. there are a few wear and tear knocks on the outside which I would guess awning poles etc, though non significant. the only downside for me is that there is a large "chunk" out of the kitchen work surface. .... seller says price is non negotiable but I have nothing to compare too!

TIA

That's just a ploy.

Offer close and walk away if he/she says no. They'll almost certainly call you back.

If they don't, you can always go back a few days later.

£5200 sounds a bit high to me for a 4 berth of that age. Have a look at the prices of similar age 4 berth vans as a comparison, they won't vary by that much.

Edited by daveat92

7 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

There are firms which can repair worktops for you.

On another thread a poster said that he had paid £270 to have damage repaired on a front set of drawers.  

7 hours ago, daveat92 said:

£5200 sounds a bit high to me for a 4 berth of that age. Have a look at the prices of similar age 4 berth vans as a comparison, they won't vary by that much.

Seemed high to me as well for a private sale but have not checked the market.

12 hours ago, paul2911 said:

If I knew a single person who caravanned then it would be great haha!

Seeing as you're looking at spending a few thousand on something you don't have experience of I'd be looking to see if it has any service history, specifically with the damp-check readings.   If not, see if there's a mobile caravan servicing engineer that would carry out a damp check for you.   This will cost a few pounds but it'd be a lot cheaper than finding out it's got damp further down the line as once damp is found it can often be quite severe (the tip of the iceberg theory often holds true with a damp caravan).

13 hours ago, paul2911 said:

HI,

Looking around today, no obvious indications of damp around windows etc and no strong smells. I plan to go back at some point with a damp meter.

You could always pay about £70 for a AWS technician to inspect it before handing over the cash.   Did you check the tyres on the inside for cracks?

41 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Seeing as you're looking at spending a few thousand on something you don't have experience of I'd be looking to see if it has any service history, specifically with the damp-check readings.   

yeah there wasn't a great deal of service hx so we have decided to steer clear. for some reason I had a niggling feeling about something I can't put my finger on. usually works best to go with your gut!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paul2911 said:

yeah there wasn't a great deal of service hx so we have decided to steer clear. for some reason I had a niggling feeling about something I can't put my finger on. usually works best to go with your gut!

Agreed, if you have a feeling something isn't right you'll always be looking for it!  With a second hand caravan a complete service history is important as a damp caravan can often be a soul destroying money-pit.   If buying from a dealer insist in a full damp check being carried out prior to a sale, the advantage with buying from a dealer is that you can often get a reasonable warranty,.

Google search would suggest to me that's the sort of price they ask for, as others have said its condition etc to look at.

If you decide to buy and its a dealer you might be able as your a first time buyer with no part exchange you might be able to get some price reduction and/or a starter pack of some basic equipment thrown in.

27 minutes ago, paul2911 said:

I totally agree. With price however, ,,,,,,,,, about 15 years ago my daughter was looking to replace her car with a three year old second hand. We found a Toyota Starlet in a dealers after looking at many new and second hand cars. It was about £300 overpriced I felt. I said the same to my daughter but after an inspection by myself and a lengthy test drive I recommended that she buy as an extra £300 over a period of ownership was nowt if the car was right .  

She ran it for 10 years until her grandad died and she inherited his three year old car. The starlet was sold to a friend whose BMW had been written off in a car park fire whilst she looked for another. The car is now 21 years old and still in daily use so the extra £300 was neither here nor their on a car of probably £4k+,

This is effectively the same post as   

By paul2911
Started Saturday at 16:41

2 hours ago, daveat92 said:

This is effectively the same post as   

By paul2911
Started Saturday at 16:41

Thanks for flagging - Topics Merged