New Caravan - What do I need?

So, decided to buy my first caravan and have (hopefully) a Lunar Clubman SB arriving in the next 2 weeks :-)

I have an AquaRoll and WasteMaster already, but I know I will be missing a lot of essentials, so what do people recommend that I need (or be good to have) to get going ?

Not thinking of kitchen, bedding stuff, etc. but more about tools, chocks, levelling ramps, etc.

All advice greatfully received.

thanks

Phil

You would be surprised what you can live without, so don't go buying absolutely everything in sight!

For your first outing go to a site near both a town centre and a caravan accessory shop for a weekend. Accept that you are going to be running back and forwards to both a supermarket and the accessory shop and enjoy the learning experience.

hook up leads, gas bottles, levellers, ( i prefer milenco leveller), there will be loads of other bits & bobs you will need but ill give someone else a chance, and if like me you will be like a big kid in a sweet shop looking at all the gadgets i the accessories shop.

phil

Elddis Avante 626 towed with 2007 Kia Sorento xt auto

I wrote a list that may be of some help: http://wandering. me. uk/the-bare-essentials/

Don't for get that you are supposed to be enjoying the adventure, there will be times when you doubt your sanity, but it passes. The advice to make you first site close to home so that you can go and get the bits you didn't bring is also good.  

Regards Dave

Volvo XC70 AWD & Lunar Clubman SB

http://wandering. me. uk/

17 hours ago, PhilC said:

I have an AquaRoll and WasteMaster already, but I know I will be missing a lot of essentials, so what do people recommend that I need (or be good to have) to get going ?

starting with what you have, do you have the waste pipe and water pump, the toilet chemicals and a small watering can, electric lead, gas, (some need a gas spanner). Battery, steps, locks for  hitch and wheel,  mirrors.   A small tool kit, saw one in screwfix for £30. it has a spirit level in it.    Levellers, chocs and feet.   When filling the caravan, walk around your house and make a list of what you need for every day living, then look at the list and start crossing off what you really don't need. You may like some table and chairs for outside.   Most folk on site are helpful and love to share their knowledge, so let them. Good luck.

Thanks all; some really helpful pointers and the article on this site for New Caravans was a good read.

As suggested, have found a site 10 mins from the dealer and 15 mins from home, so going to spend 2 nights there after I pick the van up.

Phil

When we started caravanning, I wanted to have everything that everyone else had.   After 40 years of carting about everything but a spare kitchen sink we decided to simplify/rationalise and we now have less stuff and more fun.   No awning, draught skirt, pegs, groundsheet, storm straps,  mallet, guy ropes, pole tensioner etc. My advice is to try and keep the hobby simple.

• Like 1

Ern

A good map, a good sat nav and a calm and determined attitude!!! :lol: Good advice so far. ..Wine, must have wine.  

Normally when buying from a dealer new. some items will be given in a starter pack. so if buying from the dealer. ask them first if they supply anything like aquaroll water master etc. so you dont waste money and double up.

If brand new, things like pig tails may be needed as some dont come equiped. so ask the dealer for it to be ready to go,that will help with some items.

And keep a record of the items as a will give a idea of weights loaded into the van. so you dont go to mad with weight

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

15 minutes ago, PhilC said:

What are "pig tails" ?

They're the short pipes that connect the gas regulator to the bottle. There's various types, materials, fittings and the choice of propane/butane.

image.png.306c18102ce489c3c6e903c523b98758.png

John

Don't buy 'caravan' kettle from accessory shop, buy cheapest plastic kettle from supermarket, it will have lower wattage elements which is just what you need. We paid £5 several years ago, still going strong, perfect.

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold

1 hour ago, TenStar said:

Don't buy 'caravan' kettle from accessory shop, buy cheapest plastic kettle from supermarket, it will have lower wattage elements which is just what you need. We paid £5 several years ago, still going strong, perfect.

Don't get an electric kettle at all

One that goes on a gas and/or electric hob will do fine... or even a saucepan to save even more weight (and money).  :)

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Too late - got an electric low wattage one; gift from my parents (who have one in their caravan) :D

Picking the van up on Friday, so hopefully now got everything I need; then 2 nights just down the road

Edited by PhilC

don`t forget the beer the wine and the glasses and have a great time . there`s always someone will to help you out and give you a hand and share a beer with

so don`t worry there`s no problems that can`t be solved, relax and have fun 

• Like 1

When you get your caravan and set up for the first time try to be methodical. Have it in your mind what you need to do and when, i.e. remember to remove the breakaway cable from the car when unhitched before you drive the car away to park it.

If you have to use ramps to level the caravan remember to have your wheel lock handy at the same time so that it aligns properly - nothing worse than getting it all level and you find the wheel lock won't line up and you have to start again. Take your time and try not to let things get fraught - if it does take time out, sit down and have a drink, make the peace with your wife/partner then go back to setting up.

Alan

• Like 1

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - sold our 2018 Coachman VIP and now await our 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Special Edition

If you want to enjoy caravanning, I would suggest a few years of long distance touring, two up on a motorcycle with a two man tent.

You will realise that if you don't happen to have hot water on tap for your fitted shower, it really isn't the end of the World. Live, learn, be philosophical and have a beer!

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1