Sign in to follow this  
Simon Argent

Static Caravan Roof Problems

In Hi everyone, I am hoping that someone may be able to assist us? We own a 2013 Pemberton Knightsbridge, which is situated in Ainsdale, near Southport. On one side of the roof the green plastico roof covering is peeling away from the steel, which is showing through silver. Each time it gets windy a little more comes away. We have asked why this is happening and we are told that it was a manufacturing fault where the plastico wasn't bonded to the steel roof correctly. Due to the age of the caravan Pemberton want nothing to do with it as it's outside their warranty period. We tried to claim through our insurance but with no luck. We have had three quotes for repair but they all say we need a new roof at a cost of £3500+. Is this something we can fix ourselves?  Or does anyone know of someone who may be able to help? Thank you. Simon.  

1 hour ago, Simon Argent said:

In Hi everyone, I am hoping that someone may be able to assist us? We own a 2013 Pemberton Knightsbridge, which is situated in Ainsdale, near Southport. On one side of the roof the green plastico roof covering is peeling away from the steel, which is showing through silver. Each time it gets windy a little more comes away. We have asked why this is happening and we are told that it was a manufacturing fault where the plastico wasn't bonded to the steel roof correctly. Due to the age of the caravan Pemberton want nothing to do with it as it's outside their warranty period. We tried to claim through our insurance but with no luck. We have had three quotes for repair but they all say we need a new roof at a cost of £3500+. Is this something we can fix ourselves?  Or does anyone know of someone who may be able to help? Thank you. Simon.  

If it is "showing through silver" it is not steel! Steel would show through as brown rust very quickly.

It could be either aluminium or galvanised steel, either way it is not urgent and the coating is primarily cosmetic. A magnet will tell you which as a magnet will not stick to aluminium.

A new roof seems to me to be a drastic solution and an excuse to extract money from you.

I think you need more quotes!

Stevan, thank you for your reply.   Possibly having to pay for a new roof when it is purely cosmetic was our worry. We are told the metal roof will support my weight so I am looking at patch painting it myself, just need to find the correct coating.  

I would consider removing the loose coating then spraying with some stonechip protector (as used on car sills) then paint this your preferred colour.

You could buy a rattle can and try that first, however it would be cheaper to use a compressor and gun canister with "Body Shultz" "Body  Guard" etcetera if doing a lot.

Stevan, thank you for your reply.   Possibly having to pay for a new roof when it is purely cosmetic was our worry. We are told the metal roof will support my weight so I am looking at patch painting it myself, just need to find the correct coating.  

Paul, thank you for your input. I am told that two coats of ISONIT, on top of a primer, will do. Just need to strip the remaining peeling coating off. I am trying to fond someone to do the job as my days of climbing on to caravan roofs is long gone. Anyone out there who feels they could do the job, cash in hand, please contact us, we are based in Ainsdale near Southport. Thank you. Simon.