Sign in to follow this  
LongTimeCaravaner

International Driving Permits

24 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I didn't. They gave me my UK one back

Yes I know a few Brits around here who kept theirs too, they're all quite a bit older than me though, perhaps the rules changed. I only changed mine in 2016 because I was 45 and it made it easier with the medical for my C+E entitlement, glad I did it though as I would have to do it now anyway if Brexit happens, (which I think we all know by now it won't :)).

22 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

My South African licence is no longer valid in the UK but I would assume it is still valid in other EU countries?  I now have a valid UK licence and had to do the test.  I was probably more qualified than the examiner doing the test.  LOL!  Now you can change a SA licence for a UK licence without doing a test.

Correct it would be invalid to use in the UK however I would think it is still valid to use in other EU countries. 

It seems the latest information for driving in France with a non-EU licence requires an IDP or official translation.  How would you get an IDP for a SA licence?

"Si vous venez en France pour un court séjour (pour des vacances par exemple), vous pouvez conduire avec votre permis. Il doit être valide et être rédigé en français ou accompagné d'une traduction officielle en français ou d'un permis international."

Using a SA licence held by a UK resident as  an acceptable document for driving in the EU seems fraught with problems.

As the UK will never be leaving the EU :ph34r: (not until at least the end of October anyway), anyone going over the Channel on their holibobs no longer needs to worry about Driving Permits. :)

Unless per chance we leave early and create even more chaos at the start of the holiday period.

Posted (edited)

Apparently, if driving in the EU after Halloween it may be necessary to purchase an International Driving Permit to drive in SOME EU member states although most have agreed to accept the U.K. licence.

For those who, like me, go to Europe in midsummer and spend an extended period there it may be a useful precaution to check if your destination(s) require one and, if necessary, buy one .

Approx £5 from the Post Office.

Details available on the IDP (UK) website.

Edited by paulthomas

Got it already which is what this thread is about. I'm in Spain in Oct so have already got it.

PLEASE, PLEASE let’s not go back over all this😳😳 it’s all very simple and has been covered in more than enough detail ( and misunderstandings) in the past. The only thing that has changed is the date - was end of March, now end of October 🤗🤗

• Thanks 1