Sign in to follow this  
LongTimeCaravaner

International Driving Permits

24 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I didn't. They gave me my UK one back

Yes I know a few Brits around here who kept theirs too, they're all quite a bit older than me though, perhaps the rules changed. I only changed mine in 2016 because I was 45 and it made it easier with the medical for my C+E entitlement, glad I did it though as I would have to do it now anyway if Brexit happens, (which I think we all know by now it won't :)).

22 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

My South African licence is no longer valid in the UK but I would assume it is still valid in other EU countries?  I now have a valid UK licence and had to do the test.  I was probably more qualified than the examiner doing the test.  LOL!  Now you can change a SA licence for a UK licence without doing a test.

Correct it would be invalid to use in the UK however I would think it is still valid to use in other EU countries. 

It seems the latest information for driving in France with a non-EU licence requires an IDP or official translation.  How would you get an IDP for a SA licence?

"Si vous venez en France pour un court séjour (pour des vacances par exemple), vous pouvez conduire avec votre permis. Il doit être valide et être rédigé en français ou accompagné d'une traduction officielle en français ou d'un permis international."

Using a SA licence held by a UK resident as  an acceptable document for driving in the EU seems fraught with problems.

As the UK will never be leaving the EU :ph34r: (not until at least the end of October anyway), anyone going over the Channel on their holibobs no longer needs to worry about Driving Permits. :)

Unless per chance we leave early and create even more chaos at the start of the holiday period.

Apparently, if driving in the EU after Halloween it may be necessary to purchase an International Driving Permit to drive in SOME EU member states although most have agreed to accept the U.K. licence.

For those who, like me, go to Europe in midsummer and spend an extended period there it may be a useful precaution to check if your destination(s) require one and, if necessary, buy one .

Approx £5 from the Post Office.

Details available on the IDP (UK) website.

Edited by paulthomas

Got it already which is what this thread is about. I'm in Spain in Oct so have already got it.

PLEASE, PLEASE let’s not go back over all this😳😳 it’s all very simple and has been covered in more than enough detail ( and misunderstandings) in the past. The only thing that has changed is the date - was end of March, now end of October 🤗🤗

• Thanks 1

Just been looking for the IDP requirements for this Winter for Spain {purchased IDP for France in late March when Brexit rescheduled for 12th April]. Newspaper articles, and IIRC, UK Government advice, at that time was that we would require IDP for both Portugal and Spain, and they had differing expiry periods and/or types. Both Spain and Portugal said they would try to make things as painless as possible for tourists, and the UK Government advice is that no IDP will be required for trips of up to 180 days/185 days if you hold a UK Photocard or Paper Licence. Initially, Spain is allowing trips of up to 9 months in the Brexit year, and 6 months thereafter. Spain requires a 1949 IDP and Portugal a 1968 IDP for trips longer than the 9 or 6 months respectively. It looks like half of the EU have waived the IDP requirement for visits of up to 6 months [too much bother?]. France is still 'IDP + UK Licence' ...

The EU Withdrawal Agreement still refers to EU visits being limited to 90 days in any 180 day period, so the full 'Winter in the Sun' might be out of the question. Mrs Marchie has an Irish passport and has mentioned staying for 6 months, but paying for a taxi for me to the airport so that I can return to Scotland to check on our flat in the depths of winter ... Her generosity knows no bounds :P

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-EU-after-brexit-international-driving-permits

Steve

• Thanks 1

If the deal is approved you will be able to stay as now during the transition period.

Back to DL's and IDP's have a look at This  where the various countries conditions are explained, basically if visiting France/Spain/Portugal in the near future, even IF we leave on 31st Oct there is no need for an IDP UNLESS you are staying a long time.

One LESS thing to worry about

Andy

Edited by Grandpa Steve
  • Thanks 1

It says you need an IDP for the USA. I've travelled there for decades for months at a time and just take my photo licence. No hire company has said an IDP is required.

Odd.

19 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Back to DL's and IDP's have a look at This  where the various countries conditions are explained, basically if visiting France/Spain/Portugal in the near future, even IF we leave on 31st Oct there is no need for an IDP UNLESS you are staying a long time.

Andy

That page says you will need an IDP for France if there is a no deal Brexit.

Edited by Grandpa Steve

Strange as with a South African driving licence an IDP was not required for any country in the EU incl the UK.  That still applies so why should the UK be treated differently?

On 26/09/2019 at 16:05, Durbanite said:

Strange as with a South African driving licence an IDP was not required for any country in the EU incl the UK.  That still applies so why should the UK be treated differently?

Because that is an agreement between South Africa and the EU. If the UK leaves the EU then a separate agreement with the UK will have to be made to make a South African licence acceptable. Until that has been done, the 1968 Treaty on Road Traffic Convention will apply and that would only recognise an IDP as valid. If the UK hadn't signed the 1968 treaty, and they didn't until March 2018, 50 years later and just in time prior to a Brexit, even an IDP wouldn't be sufficient and all visitors to the UK would have to have a UK licence, for example.

4 hours ago, Lutz said:

Because that is an agreement between South Africa and the EU. If the UK leaves the EU then a separate agreement with the UK will have to be made to make a South African licence acceptable. Until that has been done, the 1968 Treaty on Road Traffic Convention will apply and that would only recognise an IDP as valid. If the UK hadn't signed the 1968 treaty, and they didn't until March 2018, 50 years later and just in time prior to a Brexit, even an IDP wouldn't be sufficient and all visitors to the UK would have to have a UK licence, for example.

Thanks for the update.  Although I have a British driving licence I should still be able to use my valid South African driving licence in the EU without having to obtain an IDP if that will be required at some point in the future.

I would be amazed if you could legally use your South African license in Spain unless it's also is written in Spanish.

Which source told you it was legal all over the EU without an IDP?

23 minutes ago, AndersG said:

I would be amazed if you could legally use your South African license in Spain unless it's also is written in Spanish.

Many of our friends from SA use their SA driving licence when visiting the continent and none of them require an IDP as their stay is for less than 90 days.  I know that 28 years ago I did not require an IDP to drive in the UK or the EU.  The SA driving licence is part of you ID document. 

18 hours ago, AndersG said:

You may be right because there is no common EU-wide agreement on the validity of non-EU licences without an IDP. They are the subject of bi-lateral agreements between each individual country.

I have no first hand knowledge of the acceptance of South African licences, but I do know from dealing with a New Zealander that a New Zealand licence without an IDP is valid in Germany, but not in Italy, for example.

A holder of a UK issued EU style driving licence would not require an IDP unless someone decides that these must be surrendered after Brexit and exchanged for a specific UK one because an EU licence is an EU licence, regardless of where it was issued. On the other hand, there may have to be special provisions for UK holders of EU style licences when visiting non-EU countries after Brexit.

Edited by Lutz

On 25/09/2019 at 15:17, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

The above refers you to the Post Office Checker website, https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker  And I was surprised to find to drive in Spain after Brexit it says "To drive in Spain you will need an International Driving Permit 1949 from 1st August 2020 for visits longer than 6 months"  So for most of us one is not needed. But you would need a French one to drive down there.

The information put out by the government is based on the assumption that a UK issued EU style licence will suddenly no longer be recognised as an EU licence the moment the UK leaves the EU. I haven't seen any statement put out by any EU source that this will be the case.

It also talks about two different versions of the IDP, as if the 1968 version is unacceptable in those countries that only signed the 1949 agreement. That cannot be the case because countries which signed the 1968 agreement but not the 1949 one can only issue the 1968 version as no earlier version is available and it must be acceptable in those that signed only the 1949 agreement, too.

21 hours ago, Lutz said:

The information put out by the government is based on the assumption that a UK issued EU style licence will suddenly no longer be recognised as an EU licence the moment the UK leaves the EU. I haven't seen any statement put out by any EU source that this will be the case.

It also talks about two different versions of the IDP, as if the 1968 version is unacceptable in those countries that only signed the 1949 agreement. That cannot be the case because countries which signed the 1968 agreement but not the 1949 one can only issue the 1968 version as no earlier version is available and it must be acceptable in those that signed only the 1949 agreement, too.

So much for uniformity across the EU!

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

So much for uniformity across the EU!

It's got nothing to do with the EU. It's a United Nations thing and so long as the EU isn't one nation, each state in the EU has got to ratify treaties on its own. The UK only got round to ratifying the 1968 treaty in 2018, South Africa did it already in 1977. San Marino was the first country in Europe to do so in 1970 and Spain has somehow not got round to it to this day. Neither the United States, Canada, Australia nor New Zealand have even signed the treaty so any acceptance of an IDP in those countries is purely at their discretion or by specific bilateral agreement. In the case of the United States, for example, bilateral agreements are not with the country as a whole, but with each individual state.

Edited by Lutz