Sign in to follow this  
LongTimeCaravaner

International Driving Permits

If these points have already been stated I apologise.

There seem to be two Post Office sites to check where you can buy IDPs or maybe they have updated it in the last couple of days. On one for me it only showed Cambridge and Chelmsford and on the other one it showed some of the smaller towns and villages.

The IDP only lasts as long as your driving license which in my hubby's case is July and then he will need a new one.

The one IDP does not cover both France and Spain.

https://www. german-way. com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/driving-in-germany-rental/

International Driving Permit
If you will be driving in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, or some other European country, you may want to get an International Driving Permit (IDP), which is actually just a translation of the original license from your home country. However, in Germany you don’t need an IDP for a license in English

If France or Spain require them I'd presume they'd have to be in French or Spanish.

Apparently my German licence will be accepted in the UK however Brexit pans out.

Edited by Borussia 1900

3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

https://www. german-way. com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/driving-in-germany-rental/

If France or Spain require them I'd presume they'd have to be in French or Spanish.

Apparently my German licence will be accepted in the UK however Brexit pans out.

No, they just have pictures of all the vehicles, motor bike, car, lorry etc and a stamp to show that you are licensed to drive that vehicle. No language needed.

30 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

No, they just have pictures of all the vehicles, motor bike, car, lorry etc and a stamp to show that you are licensed to drive that vehicle. No language needed.

That‘s right. That’s the whole point of an international driving permit - that it can be understood in any language.

France and Spain will accept a non-EU national licence in lieu of an IDP if accompanied by a translation.

As long as a UK resident holds an EU-style driving licence there’s no reason why an IDP should be required as the categories which one is entitled to drive are quite clear. In effect, an IDP is no more than an internationally recognised version of a national driving licence. It doesn’t affect the categories in any way.

Edited by Lutz

From gov.uk

Driving in the EU and EEA from 29 March 2019

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips. Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may need an IDP in addition to their UK driving licence to drive when visiting EU and EEA countries

Each EU and EEA country will decide if they require a foreign driver to have an IDP, in addition to a driving licence, to legally drive in their country.

In some circumstances you may need more than one IDP. For example, when driving through France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).

So in the event of a no deal by Mar29th we may need an IDP. As I am going to Spain in April I will get an IDP, based on this advice from gov.uk.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019#driving-in-the-eu-and-eea-from-29-march-2019

There are 3 different types of IDP - 1926, 1949 and 1968. For Spain I need a 1949 one. Cost is £5.50 and you need to take a passport photo, photocard licence and the money.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WispMan said:

There are 3 different types of IDP - 1926, 1949 and 1968. For Spain I need a 1949 one. Cost is £5. 50 and you need to take a passport photo, photocard licence and the money.

But what's the difference between the 3 types? Only one version is issued in Germany. Frankly, I think there is a lot of scaremongering going on because the sole purpose of an IDP is to document in a for all recognisable manner what your national driving licence allows you to drive. Nothing more than that. An official translation of a national licence would serve the same purpose and is equally acceptable.

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

That‘s right. That’s the whole point of an international driving permit - that it can be understood in any language.

France and Spain will accept a non-EU national licence in lieu of an IDP if accompanied by a translation.

As long as a UK resident holds an EU-style driving licence there’s no reason why an IDP should be required as the categories which one is entitled to drive are quite clear. In effect, an IDP is no more than an internationally recognised version of a national driving licence. It doesn’t affect the categories in any way.

Lutz

Re your last paragraph. I am also puzzled why there should be a need for anything other than the standard EU photocard licence that we currently use. As far as I know it is a standard layout Europe wide and the police in any EU country are likely to be more familiar with the current licence than any IDP?  I appreciate the UK Government has to be seen to be doing something just in case we leave the EU without a deal at the end of March but I despair the lack of joined up thought. 

David

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, klyne said:

I appreciate the UK Government has to be seen to be doing something just in case we leave the EU without a deal at the end of March but I despair the lack of joined up thought.  

David

I worked on contract at one of the Govt Depts of State for 8 months. .. Unbelievable how little common sense and thought was around. ..

I still have my last IDP issued in 1982 under Convention of Road Traffic of 19 September 1949 (Geneva Convention). We used it to take the caravan down to Yugoslavia and then Spain, travelling through many countries in Europe. Under this Permit there were 36 Countries in Europe that had signed up including Spain, 15 in the Americas, 19 in Asia/Oceania and 32 in the Fra East/Africa.  

There was a further Convention on Road Traffic in 1968 (Vienna Convention) which Spain did not sign up to but when exactly did this come into force - as stated previously the 1949 Version was still being used in 1982 as I still have my IDP in my possession (It was only valid for 1 year as was the norm)? 

Alan

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

But what's the difference between the 3 types? Only one version is issued in Germany. Frankly, I think there is a lot of scaremongering going on because the sole purpose of an IDP is to document in a for all recognisable manner what your national driving licence allows you to drive. Nothing more than that. An official translation of a national licence would serve the same purpose and is equally acceptable.

It's apparently due to when and which traffic convention a country signed up to and what format the relevant convention requires the IDP to take.   For example, France signed up to a different convention than Spain so a separate IDP is required for each of the two countries.

Edited by Legal Eagle

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

It's apparently due to when and which traffic convention a country signed up to and what format the relevant convention requires the IDP to take.   For example, France signed up to a different convention than Spain so a separate IDP is required for each of the two countries.

But regardless of which convention was signed the intent of any IDP is the same, namely to provide an official translation of a national driving licence, nothing more or less.

In what way does an IDP issued in accordance with the 1968 convention not meet the requirements of a country which was a signatory to the 1926 or 1949 agreement?

Edited by Lutz

i will just get the papers for the country i need to apply for after british exit from the EU deal or no deal.

seems that we want to do a no deal % yet we still have to put up with no deal or  a deal for our liscenses.

bad language  removed really if we want a no deal. we still have to have a deal for ins and lienses etc etc.

i will buy my eggs +ham from the local farmer what ever happens

9 hours ago, Lutz said:

But regardless of which convention was signed the intent of any IDP is the same, namely to provide an official translation of a national driving licence, nothing more or less.

In what way does an IDP issued in accordance with the 1968 convention not meet the requirements of a country which was a signatory to the 1926 or 1949 agreement?

I have no idea, I didn't write, and haven't compared, the conventions! However, the directions given on all relevant UK information sites and publications say the same thing - i. e. a different IDP is required in Lichtenstein (1926 IDP), Cyprus, Malta, Iceland & Spain (1949 IDP) and France and the rest of the EU/EEA (1968 IDP).

This link to a UK Govt. website states which convention IDP applies to which countries.

https://www. gov. uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019

51 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I have no idea, I didn't write, and haven't compared, the conventions! However, the directions given on all relevant UK information sites and publications say the same thing - i. e. a different IDP is required in Lichtenstein (1926 IDP), Cyprus, Malta, Iceland & Spain (1949 IDP) and France and the rest of the EU/EEA (1968 IDP).

This link to a UK Govt. website states which convention IDP applies to which countries.

https://www. gov. uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019

Even if different countries are signatories to different conventions that doesn’t mean that they won’t accept a common IDP.  Without further information as to what the differences are between the various conventions the government website is not very helpful. I suspect that whoever put the details together was just trying to be very clever, especially when only one version of an IDP is issued abroad.

It doesn’t even point out that an official translation of a national driving licence is equally acceptable.

Edited by Lutz

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

Even if different countries are signatories to different conventions that doesn’t mean that they won’t accept a common IDP.  Without further information as to what the differences are between the various conventions the government website is not very helpful. I suspect that whoever put the details together was just trying to be very clever, especially when only one version of an IDP is issued abroad.

It doesn’t even point out that an official translation of a national driving licence is equally acceptable.

It would seem that because different countries are signatories to different conventions they may not, in fact, accept IDPs from a different convention. Personally I would tend to follow the advice of my country's Government rather than speculate on whether or not another a country will or will not accept my IDP, my vehicle will or will not be impounded and I will or will not be arrested and/or prosecuted and/or stranded.

Just because some countries have decided to accept a translation of a national driving licence it doesn't replace the requirements of the convention they signed and they could, at anytime, revert to and insist on the IDP.

Of course, as you will still be within the EU/EEA none of this will affect you and as far as I am aware the UK chooses not to require visiting foreign nationals to hold an IDP.

I can find no reference on any foreign website regarding different versions of an IDP and only one version is issued elsewhere so without the opportunity to verify the UK government website I would   not take it seriously. There have been too many errors in other UK government information bulletins in the past.

Edited by Lutz

As far as I can remember in 1982 I was only offered one version of the IDP,  i. e. the 1949 Convention. Always being based in London for work I always used to get my IDP each year from the AA which had a main office near Leicester Square (they always asked you first what countries you were going to travel in) and I have only had this version, yet the 1968 Convention post dates the 1949 version. Now, if it was good enough to travel to both France, all countries to Yugoslavia and also Spain on the 1949 Convention IDP  in 1982, despite a 1968 Convention being in place - what difference is there now at the present time ?

Alan  

When I checked on Tuesday the only sites shown in our area for IDP collection were at Sheffield, Nottingham, Halifax & Leeds, I walked down to the P O in Wath & they had started doing the IDP’s on Monday this week, I was the first person to enquire & they were very excited about using the new templates to issue one, I told them I’ll be back next week when I get my photos done .

Did I once read that the UK did not ratify these (or just one?) of these agreements?

1 hour ago, beejay said:

Did I once read that the UK did not ratify these (or just one?) of these agreements?

The UK ratified the 1968 Vienna convention last year.

I'm off to Spain 3 weeks after Brexit date so for peace of mind I will take the Gov's advice. It will cost me £5.50 and take 5 minutes as the sub post office is down the road.

Tis a no brainer and beats being refused a hire car!

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

The UK ratified the 1968 Vienna convention last year.

I finally found that the UK ratified The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic on 28 March 2018 and for all those member countries that have ratified it, the old 1949 Convention is superseded. Spain was a signatory to the 1968 Vienna Convention back in 1968 but have failed to agree and ratify it, hence we still need to have the IDP 1949 version if we drive to Spain.

Alan

Reading various forums the Post Office is onto a nice little earner with all these £5.50's. Any chance of a refund if they are not required:)

David

I would also advise people to use a seperate GB sticker on the rear of the vehicle and also required on the rear of a trailer or caravan .

I think the issue over us illegally using Euro plates as non member will interest foreign police for making money .

Dave

I’m already in Spain so I’m going to ask in the Spanish PO if they can issue one.

As far as number plates go I don’t have any with the stars on them but a lot out here do have, l doubt they will all be rushing to the local car shop to get a British plate.

Ian