53 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

The Machine Mart digital torque adaptor comes with a calibration certificate and from this it is very accurate, tested at 72, 216 and 360 Nm and at each gives readings at most 0. 6 Nm out using test equipment to ISO 6789:2003. I used it to tighten hub nuts to 300 Nm and nothing broke or bent with all tools being 1/2" drive.

Pretty accurate then, but personally I'd still prefer a larger version for Al-Ko nuts. Few tools like being used at, or in this case, near their max, capacity. Otherwise it looks to be just the job, especially accuracy-wise.

2 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

. . I've never had a car where I had to remove the whole hub to get at the brakes, . . 1930's technology

I have two vehicles in our family fleet where the rear hubs need to come off to replace brake shoes or check pistons.     Both just 20 year old cars.

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

I have two vehicles in our family fleet where the rear hubs need to come off to replace brake shoes or check pistons.     Both just 20 year old cars.

All the cars that I have known with brake drums (including our A class Merc) the drums come off usually after removing a small screw, the wheel  hub complete with wheel studs or wheel bolt holes remain in place so the bearing retention nut is not disturbed. My MK2 Jag. has tapered bearings and these are adjusted for 3-5 thou end float using a castellated nut and split pin. I have never had a problem with this arrangement.

You can not have had a Citroen then. The rear brake drums are also the hubs including the bearings and use single use nuts tightened to high torques. Our last Citroen C3 was tightened to 300 Nm, the previous one to about 200 Nm. The nuts are peened over in to a slot in the axle shaft once tightened  so they can not come undone and are damaged when undone.

10 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

You can not have had a Citroen then.

The very make (plus a Peugeot) to which I was referring in my previous post.