Oldroamer

Kuga titanium sport

1 minute ago, Paul64 said:

Hi while on the topics of a Kugas filled up my tank yesterday while I was resetting fuel etc it came on my display three petals about my driving on eco mode, trouble is don't know what I did to bring it up now I cant find it again.

The 5 litre V8 Mustang I had whilst working in USA used to have a similar feature. The challenge was to see just how bad you could get it LOL, my mate managed to average 7.5mpg one weeked when he went to Memphis. Great car.

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Most cars come with a three year 60k mile warranty these days,

Which is a great comfort for those of us, such as me and OH, running 15 year old and 19 year old cars :D

Just now, Easy T said:

Which is a great comfort for those of us, such as me and OH, running 15 year old and 19 year old cars :D

My point was that the makers issue a warranty to say their product will last AT LEAST that long and if it doesn’t they will fix it for free, so they have a lot of confidence in their product

In your situation it is entirely reasonable to expect that you will have to factor in the cost of replacing certain components. Nothing mechanical lasts forever.

A washing machine, which costs vastly less (and is much less complex than a car) is never (except in very rare cases) going to last 15 or 19 years yet we are happy to replace them every few(er) years. 

Andy

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

In your situation it is entirely reasonable to expect that you will have to factor in the cost of replacing certain components. Nothing mechanical lasts forever.

We did have to replace the rear section of the exhaust on the older car about 3 years ago!

1 hour ago, Paul64 said:

Hi while on the topics of a Kugas filled up my tank yesterday while I was resetting fuel etc it came on my display three petals about my driving on eco mode, trouble is don't know what I did to bring it up now I cant find it again.

It's right arrow from the large average fuel consumption display... 

14 hours ago, Oldroamer said:

Many thanks to all who have replied, I have today collected my third in a row Outlander.  This model has a much smoother ride quality due to a revamped suspension. Not keen on this “ stop and go” system which cuts the engine when you are stationary in neutral, it can be overridden but has to be done each trip, pity it could not be permanently disabled. 

Ask your garage to put it on computer to disable it.

Both of our cars default to the on position but I just switch  them off, they both have manual switches.

10 minutes ago, Griff said:

Both of our cars default to the on position but I just switch  them off, they both have manual switches.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm fairly certain that stop/start is part of an EC Directive and part of the vehicle model type approval and a significant factor in the stated emissions and fuel consumption figures hence manufacturers can only facilitate manual, per journey, deactivation. It would follow, therefore, that to permanently disable it would be unlawful.

35 minutes ago, birdman101 said:

Ask your garage to put it on computer to disable it.

As above.

i found start stop works okay on manuals but automatics a bit of pain.

In manuals it only kicks in when in neutral so if you didnt want it to stop you just leave the car in gear with your foot on the clutch. In autos i find the lag between putting your foot down, engine starting, gear engaging and eventually moving is too long for those quick pull outs on roundabouts. Also in traffic the stop start is just annoying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tom_1989 said:

i found start stop works okay on manuals but automatics a bit of pain.

In manuals it only kicks in when in neutral so if you didn't want it to stop you just leave the car in gear with your foot on the clutch. In autos i find the lag between putting your foot down, engine starting, gear engaging and eventually moving is too long for those quick pull outs on roundabouts. Also in traffic the stop start is just annoying.

On both our Mercs just taking your foot off the brake pedal starts the engine, and if you use "Auto Hold" any pressure on the accelerator also starts the engine - never been caught out in 3 years. 

Before anyone picks me up on holding on the brake, even on "Hold" the brake lights stay on, however after about 45 seconds on "Hold" the the parking brake auto engages and the brake lights go out.

After which on both cars when you press the accelerator the parking brake auto disengages.

On 05/02/2019 at 17:30, Oldroamer said:

Thanks both for your replies, it was the ride quality I was questioning, especially with 235/45x19 tyres. Although I think that although large wheels and low profile tyres will produce a harsher ride than smaller wheels with normal profile (55) tyres, this will still be a smoother experience than the Outlander which has 18 inch wheels with 55 profile tyres but hard suspension.  

I don't have  any issues  with 235x50x19 on a Tiguan with standard suspension.  But I found the road noise much higher  with a Tiguan on sports suspension fitted with 255x45x20, but again the ride was ok.

You need to test drive the kuga to establish wether the ride suits you. 

Thanks Guzzilazz for posting it works Thanks.

On my auto the engine starts as soon as pressure is released from the brake pedal OR, if in neutral, as soon as the selector is moved to D. Starting is VERY quick and, like Grandpa Steve, I have never been caught out either. 

If I don’t want the stop/start to kick in I just need to come to a halt with minimal brake pedal pressure, if additional pressure is subsequently applied then it kicks in. Very clever system.

As I keep saying, stop/start DOES take a little getting used to, but it works seamlessly on my Mazda 6 and I hardly notice if it operates or not. If I press the loud pedal the car moves off from rest, job done. 

Andy

If certain heating/cooling features on my car are selected, for example the air con, start stop will not kick in.