Jump to content

Kuga titanium sport


Recommended Posts

I am considering changing my Outlander for a 2016 2ltr 180hp Kuga Titanium Sport.  My concern is that it has 19 inch wheels with low profile (45) tyres.  Has anyone towed with this size tyre on a Kuga and what are your observations.  I have had a test drive, solo, and the ride seemed nicer than the Outlander.  

 

Many thanks

 

Brian

Brian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to post
Share on other sites

i had the same wheels on a mondeo, i would have no concerns about having them for towing it was best tow car i ever had.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tow with 19" rims  - 235/55 R19 105v (35 psi all round) in both summer and winter tyres.  

 

They are absolutely fine and the ride quality is not noticeably different from my last (same model) car on 17" tyres at 32 psi all round.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tow with a Kuga  titanium x sport  ( 64 plate)with low profile 19 inch alloys no problem  very stable caravan is a 88% match.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks both for your replies, it was the ride quality I was questioning, especially with 235/45x19 tyres. Although I think that although large wheels and low profile tyres will produce a harsher ride than smaller wheels with normal profile (55) tyres, this will still be a smoother experience than the Outlander which has 18 inch wheels with 55 profile tyres but hard suspension.  

Brian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check and compare the length of the respective wheel base. We test drove a Kuga with a view to replacing an S-Max. The shorter wheel base made it 'choppy' in comparison so we replaced like with like.  

The Mondeo mentioned above is similar to the S-Max and longer than the Focus / Kuga range.

Jim

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jampot said:

Check and compare the length of the respective wheel base. We test drove a Kuga with a view to replacing an S-Max. The shorter wheel base made it 'choppy' in comparison so we replaced like with like.  

The Mondeo mentioned above is similar to the S-Max and longer than the Focus / Kuga range.

Jim

 

I'm of a similar opinion - been driving S-Max's since 2009 and like them a lot, they make a good roomy towcar.  

 

Had to use a couple of Kuga's a couple of years back, both were Titanium Sport with the 19" wheels. One had a towbar and we towed our 1550 van for a couple of weeks with it.

 

Solo they were OK and handled well around the country lanes but they were firm. I found them choppy when towing, as did SWMBO who doesn't usually notice these things especially as she doesn't do the towing.

 

I quite fancied one to replace our S-max last year but she put her foot down and refused.

 

The longer wheelbase and softer tyres on the S-Max make for a much more comfortable ride IMO.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi we have just changed to a Kuga haven't towed with it yet anybody enlighten me on what to expect mpg when towing, and what does everybody get mpg solo. Thanks Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Paul64 said:

Hi we have just changed to a Kuga haven't towed with it yet anybody enlighten me on what to expect mpg when towing, and what does everybody get mpg solo. Thanks Paul

Towing (1450kg) with our previous Kuga (16 plate,4x4,180 bhp manual,18" wheels) we averaged about 26mpg.

Solo about 45mpg.

Edited by charlieboy2608
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul64 said:

That's not bad mines 65plate 2 wd 140 bhp so hopefully I can achieve that. Thanks

Make sure you pump up the rear tyres to the loaded pressure but leave the front ones at standard pressure-my personal opinion. of course,but found that suited our previous (previous lol) 2WD kuga pulling 1450kg caravan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 66 plate Kuga Titanium Sport 180ps 4x4 running on 235/45R19 XL Conti from new.  Towed through France and many places in the uk. Tow MPG is usually returning 35mpg. (42 unladen)  very stable. I opted for the manual box. Great car, but you need to observe the correct tyre pressures when towing +3 psi at max load point on the rear.  

 

If if you want to know any more message me and I’ll respond ASAP.  

 

Scott 835DFAB9-F6C6-424B-9E43-7691B43A8312.thumb.jpeg.c9a4930a388e5f9cc2e6e55bb5da25c2.jpeg

<p>Live for the weekend!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks to all who have replied, I have today collected my third in a row Outlander.  This model has a much smoother ride quality due to a revamped suspension. Not keen on this “ stop and go” system which cuts the engine when you are stationary in neutral, it can be overridden but has to be done each trip, pity it could not be permanently disabled. 

Brian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick with the “stop start” you will soon get used to it.

 

My cars computer tells me that in 4 years, over 34000 miles, my stop start has switched my engine off for just over 45 hours! Think how much diesel would be used for 45 hours on tickover. A good few litres no doubt, not to mention the impact on the air quality. My car is automatic and the engine starts very quickly after stop start. It’s never been any issue. It seemed VERY odd when I first got the car, but I soon just accepted it as “the norm”  Stick with it!

 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AndersG said:

I got used to stop start in a few days!

Engine on.

Belt on.

Stop and start off.

 

 

Can't quite understand what people have against Stop/Start,I use it all the time ( when the vehicle allows ),cuts emissions a bit which must be all to the good.

 

Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites

Idling diesels use tiny amounts of fuel. Our trucks at work with 9 litre engines use less than half a gallon an hour, according to our mechanics. Scaled down to a car, and for how short a time stop/start is normally used, the savings are utterly trivial. For my use, I’d be amazed if I could save a pint a month. 

 

It annoys me, and I’d rather my engine ran during my journey than constantly stopping and reengaging the starter after a few seconds stop. Mine gets switched off. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tandem Man said:

 

Can't quite understand what people have against Stop/Start,I use it all the time ( when the vehicle allows ),cuts emissions a bit which must be all to the good.

 

Ian

+1

 

9 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

Idling diesels use tiny amounts of fuel. Our trucks at work with 9 litre engines use less than half a gallon an hour, according to our mechanics. Scaled down to a car, and for how short a time stop/start is normally used, the savings are utterly trivial. For my use, I’d be amazed if I could save a pint a month. 

 

It annoys me, and I’d rather my engine ran during my journey than constantly stopping and reengaging the starter after a few seconds stop. Mine gets switched off. 

 

What is there to be “annoyed” with ? It’s a fully automatic system, you have to do nothing other than drive as you normally do. The vehicles starter motor and battery have been “beefed up” to cope so there is no additional maintenance costs, and all of the ancillaries (radio, heater, lights etc) still function plus the fact that you are not pumping out pollutants whilst stationary, in traffic, alongside school playgrounds etc. How much fuel would my 2.3 litre engine have used ticking over for 45 hours? 

 

I accept that it DOES take a bit of getting used to, but it’s not as if you have to actually “do” anything, other than drive as you normally do, is it?? How long did it take you to get used to cruise control? 

 

Some people just cannot cope with change.

 

Andy

  • Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

+1

 

 

What is there to be “annoyed” with ? It’s a fully automatic system, you have to do nothing other than drive as you normally do. The vehicles starter motor and battery have been “beefed up” to cope so there is no additional maintenance costs, and all of the ancillaries (radio, heater, lights etc) still function plus the fact that you are not pumping out pollutants whilst stationary, in traffic, alongside school playgrounds etc. How much fuel would my 2.3 litre engine have used ticking over for 45 hours? 

 

I accept that it DOES take a bit of getting used to, but it’s not as if you have to actually “do” anything, other than drive as you normally do, is it?? How long did it take you to get used to cruise control? 

 

Some people just cannot cope with change.

 

Andy

I did a check on my Mercedes Sprinter a few years ago, less fuel than you think. 0.15 litres an hour at idle. So your 45 hours saved 6.75 litres based on the results I had except it wont be quite that good because - when the engine is started it starts in open loop i.e. the emissions are not being controlled until the sensors have warmed up and the ECU has gone back into closed loop. The other aspect is the energy used to restart the vehicle has to be generated which further impact the fuel saving so probably somewhere nearer 6 litres maybe. To take the bigger picture into account, additional engine wear, turbo wear, starter and battery wear will further degrade any real savings, overall not worth it IMHO greater savings in general can be made by keeping traffic flowing, educating drivers in driving techniques etc etc. When I have driven cars with stop/start it gets turned off straight away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

How much fuel would my 2.3 litre engine have used ticking over for 45 hours?

Google is saying 0.06 gallons diesel per liter displacement per hour.

Assuming US gallons we get 0.06 x 2.3 x 45 * 3.785 = 23.5 liter.

That's nothing compared to the extra wear on starter and battery.

Edited by AndersG
should never post before I finished the coffee
Link to post
Share on other sites

When drivers have to start putting there hands in their pockets for replacement parts it will be another story.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My last car had just short of 80k  of mainly urban miles over a four year period, on it when traded in. I had no issues over that period with battery, starter or any other engine component. 

 

Most cars come with a three year 60k mile warranty these days, I suspect the manufacturers have looked VERY carefully at the wear rates associated with stop/start to ensure that they are not going to be hammered with expensive warranty claims in that period, especially for cars that are always running in town like those purchased to be used as taxi’s 

 

Me? I am happy to do my little tiny bit for the environment. If everyone else did the same then things would be just that little bit better wouldn’t they?

 

Would all remaining members of the Flat Earth Society please form an orderly queue, thank you.

 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

My last car had just short of 80k  of mainly urban miles over a four year period, on it when traded in. I had no issues over that period with battery, starter or any other engine component. 

 

Most cars come with a three year 60k mile warranty these days, I suspect the manufacturers have looked VERY carefully at the wear rates associated with stop/start to ensure that they are not going to be hammered with expensive warranty claims in that period, especially for cars that are always running in town like those purchased to be used as taxi’s 

 

Me? I am happy to do my little tiny bit for the environment. If everyone else did the same then things would be just that little bit better wouldn’t they?

 

Would all remaining members of the Flat Earth Society please form an orderly queue, thank you.

 

Andy

In the big picture, probably not.

 

If you're really keen to help the environment you should get rid of the caravan for a kick off, that's dreadful for the environment!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi while on the topics of a Kugas filled up my tank yesterday while I was resetting fuel etc it came on my display three petals about my driving on eco mode, trouble is don't know what I did to bring it up now I cant find it again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...