Afternoon,

Hope this is in the right place!

I have a 2009 Bailey Senator California and as I understand it the model had an option when new for the unit at the front of the van, unfortunately it doesn't have it on mine and is instead a U-shaped sofa. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a specific name for this unit, where I may be able to source one and if it's just a case of removing the cushion and placing on-top of the lower unit.

Any help or advice appreciated, hopefully not been asked before and I just cant find it.

Cheers,

Matt

We had the exact same arrangement in our 2009 Series 7  Burgundy, they were called wrap-around seating. I removed the cushions and bought a Bailey chest of drawers similar to those shown on Ebay above by SteveMilner. They fasten on the top of the little cupboard thing where the bed slats are stored when they are not in use. I utilised a couple of little pieces of wood as spacers to allow the bed slats to still be used.

The drawer unit fastens at the top to the front wall under the window  with a couple of screws and brackets, (these are hidden under the sliding table top) and at the base with a couple of screws into the original woodwork, a simple DIY job.

I got ours from Preloved. co. uk, and I opted for a Senator one in the end because that year the Pageant was the same width, slightly different wood but near enough.

Dave.

18 hours ago, SteveMilner said:

16 hours ago, Pickled Onion said:

We had the exact same arrangement in our 2009 Series 7  Burgundy, they were called wrap-around seating. I removed the cushions and bought a Bailey chest of drawers similar to those shown on Ebay above by SteveMilner. They fasten on the top of the little cupboard thing where the bed slats are stored when they are not in use. I utilised a couple of little pieces of wood as spacers to allow the bed slats to still be used.

The drawer unit fastens at the top to the front wall under the window  with a couple of screws and brackets, (these are hidden under the sliding table top) and at the base with a couple of screws into the original woodwork, a simple DIY job.

I got ours from Preloved. co. uk, and I opted for a Senator one in the end because that year the Pageant was the same width, slightly different wood but near enough.

Dave.

Thanks both, who knew it would be so simple as a chest of drawers!

Pleased to hear it isn't a major job, Ill get on the hunt for the right set, looks like it'll be a cheap enough upgrade for me too which is music too my ears!

17 hours ago, Pickled Onion said:

Dave.

Hi Dave, 

Having taken a look online and not being anywhere remotely near the caravan for a few days I cant tell if the cushion arrangement installed allows to just remove the little ones in the middle and install the unit that is linked above, it certainly looks to be the right one, although Devon is a loooong way! 

The installation sounds simple, I guess I just wondered if you can confirm if the seat cushions are the correct shape / size to allow for removal, I would make sense that they are, cant imagine that Bailey manufactured separate seats if you didn't take the draw option but the pictures online just arent clear, don't suppose you've any knowledge?

Cheers.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I guess they will be similar, manufacturers tend to make life easy for themselves with mods and alternative configurations, it keeps the costs down and makes for an easy 'upgrade'. Thats the reason I mentioned that the 2009 Senator and Pageant were made the same width 'box', the Senator was usually wider by about 4 inches.

Just in case it's for the wrong model/year I will measure my unit tomorrow, on first inspection it looks identical but I will confirm.

Dave.

Unit at the front on a 2009 Bailey Senator California

Our front chest of drawers were simply hooked onto a couple of mounting brackets (as shown below) to prevent movement, with the weight being taken by the unit below. We removed the chest and replace with wrap around seating on several caravans, storing the unused chests (wrapped in bubble-wrap) in the loft until time to trade the caravans in. Reversal for the new owner, would have been a simple case of removing a couple of cushions, and hooking the chest back in place. 

I hope this is some help.

Gordon.

Flush Mount Brackets.jpgWrap around seating or front drawers.jpg

9 hours ago, Pickled Onion said:

Hi Matt,

I guess they will be similar, manufacturers tend to make life easy for themselves with mods and alternative configurations, it keeps the costs down and makes for an easy 'upgrade'. Thats the reason I mentioned that the 2009 Senator and Pageant were made the same width 'box', the Senator was usually wider by about 4 inches.

Just in case it's for the wrong model/year I will measure my unit tomorrow, on first inspection it looks identical but I will confirm.

Dave.

29 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Our front chest of drawers were simply hooked onto a couple of mounting brackets (as shown below) to prevent movement, with the weight being taken by the unit below. We removed the chest and replace with wrap around seating on several caravans, storing the unused chests (wrapped in bubble-wrap) in the loft until time to trade the caravans in. Reversal for the new owner, would have been a simple case of removing a couple of cushions, and hooking the chest back in place.  

I hope this is some help.

Gordon.

Flush Mount Brackets.jpgWrap around seating or front drawers.jpg

Thanks you, good info guys, so it seems its just a case of sourcing it and it's easy enough to get it fitted, the thought of two 6 year olds having nowhere to put their drinks scares me a little in a confined space!

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

My drawer set is the same height and depth as the one in the Ebay advert but mine (and therefore yours) needs to be wider than that ideally. The width of my box is 62. 5 cms not 59cms as in the advert, and the bottom plate that the unit is mounted on is 81. 5 cms or 32 inches. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Dave.

3 hours ago, Pickled Onion said:

Hi Matt,

My drawer set is the same height and depth as the one in the Ebay advert but mine (and therefore yours) needs to be wider than that ideally. The width of my box is 62. 5 cms not 59cms as in the advert, and the bottom plate that the unit is mounted on is 81. 5 cms or 32 inches. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Dave.

Hi Dave, 

And to confirm, yours came from a 2009 (ish) Bailey Senator?

if so, it sounds like the ebay advert isnt the right one for me despite it looking like it, annoyingly.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes, I can confirm that my chest of drawers is for a 2009 Senator California, it came with the order paperwork from Bailey as an aftersales extra and the price was £265. 00 new.

Dave

A little off-centre maybe but a few years ago I got hold of a new one for a friend by asking at a caravan repair shop. ....they had lots of bits where whole new innards had been ordered following accidents,some had not been fitted or had been swapped.

The particular business isn't there anymore but it may be worth 'an ask' at some of the larger dealers.

geoff