Good evening all,

I have just replaced the towbar electrical socket on the car because of an intermittent connection, all working well now (I hope) . In order to keep the connections dry and free of any weather I wanted to fill the back of the socket with silicon mastic but suddenly thought I am not certain that it will not conduct to some extent and short out the wiring. Does anyone know for sure if this would be ok, or is there something better I could use.  

Many thanks in advance.

John

I've used dielectric grease on mine.

• Like 1

I have always used Vaseline, if you insert the bare wires into the connections and tighten them up dry, them apply Vaseline to all the open/bare conductive surfaces it keeps the moisture out, prevents verdigris and stops the conductor screws rusting in place.

Some say you should only use dielectric grease as there may be some cross conductivity with Vaseline but lots of tests have been done to prove otherwise.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joeblogs said:

I have always used Vaseline, if you insert the bare wires into the connections and tighten them up dry, them apply Vaseline to all the open/bare conductive surfaces it keeps the moisture out, prevents verdigris and stops the conductor screws rusting in place.

Some say you should only use dielectric grease as there may be some cross conductivity with Vaseline but lots of tests have been done to prove otherwise.     

I found that dielectric came in handy tubes and we had lots of it surplus at work ;)

It was ordered by the box for specific jobs and surplus was thrown away as storage space cost money :blink:

Thank you all, although ideal I could not justify the cost for the Magic Gel, so I tried screwfix and local shops for dielectric grease but to no avail. Going past Trago Mills today so I thought I would pop in and get a big jar of vaseline and lo and behold for £3 I got a large tube of dielectric grease. Sorted, as soon as it stops raining I can get on and put it in.  

Yes magic gel is a bit pricey but it’s worked wonders in a junction box that’s often submerged in salt water - on a kayak not a caravan!😝

Edited by sleepyfolk

7 hours ago, sleepyfolk said:

Yes magic gel is a bit pricey but it’s worked wonders in a junction box that’s often submerged in salt water - on a kayak not a caravan!😝

Ive got to ask. ......... what electrics do you have on a kayak?

AJG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

AJG

Lol  Obvious.

If he wears lycra to paddle in then it will be a flashing light at the front and back and a camera to spot any naughty boats coming his way!

Maybe one of the small electric propulsion motors available for kayaks?

Examples on YouTube.

After doing that on the inside, cover the outside of the socket and wire with self amalgamating tape.

Also if you can make the cable behind the socket dip down a little and add a tie-wrap at the low point it encourages water to drip off the cable and not travel along it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

AJG

I’ve  got a wee bilge Pump to aid recovery after getting swamped or turned over in the  🌊! The power pack also doubles up as an emergency power supply to charge up the VHF or mobile just in case, I also have a PLB - I do like to be prepared for the worst!

F56F2D49-4F8E-4A09-AA84-D33D75E5A194.jpeg

B67B3B5A-C4CA-4521-BD74-03D099F6D792.jpeg

Edited by sleepyfolk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sleepyfolk said:

I’ve  got a wee bilge Pump to aid recovery after getting swamped or turned over in the  🌊! The power pack also doubles up as an emergency power supply to charge up the VHF or mobile just in case, I also have a PLB - I do like to be prepared for the worst!

F56F2D49-4F8E-4A09-AA84-D33D75E5A194.jpeg

B67B3B5A-C4CA-4521-BD74-03D099F6D792.jpeg

Nice one, I did wonder.

Every day an education !

Thanks AJG

• Like 1

I suppose it saves getting out for a wee . ...

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

I suppose it saves getting out for a wee . ...

You May laugh, but I also had a zip fitted to my wetsuit, best £25 quid I’ve spent! 

• Haha 1

Cold weather dinghy sailing in a "steamer" (thick wetsuit) a wee in the wetsuit is a great way of warming up. .. :rolleyes:

Sorry to those of a delicate disposition, I'll get my coat. ....

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2019 at 23:12, TheReeder said:

Thank you all, although ideal I could not justify the cost for the Magic Gel, so I tried screwfix and local shops for dielectric grease but to no avail. Going past Trago Mills today so I thought I would pop in and get a big jar of vaseline and lo and behold for £3 I got a large tube of dielectric grease. Sorted, as soon as it stops raining I can get on and put it in.  

On 05/02/2019 at 23:12, TheReeder said:

Aaahhh Trago mills, fab place...

• Like 1