Hi to all of you tech minded CT members.

Is it possible to link two individual Sky boxes on the one incoming connection ?

My hope is to allow 1 box to be used without the disconnection of the other.

I am not keen on using switchable Scart connections unless absolutely unavoidable.

What I am aiming to do is to have two boxes so that I can record all of my personal favourite stuff on one box and that will leave Ms AWL with one for her personal favourite stuff.

I am actually keen on keeping my cycle tour stuff and view bit at leisure along with other programs that do not interest Ms AWL.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

6 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi to all of you tech minded CT members.

Is it possible to link two individual Sky boxes on the one incoming connection ?

My hope is to allow 1 box to be used without the disconnection of the other.

I am not keen on using switchable Scart connections unless absolutely unavoidable.

What I am aiming to do is to have two boxes so that I can record all of my personal favourite stuff on one box and that will leave Ms AWL with one for her personal favourite stuff.

I am actually keen on keeping my cycle tour stuff and view bit at leisure along with other programs that do not interest Ms AWL.

You would need another dual feed to your dish. The LNB on the dish often have spare outputs, mine actually had 8 with four used. Obviously you would another HDMI / SCART input on the TV too. Its an easy job to do, the dish is already lined up, run the, screw the connectors on, plug in and off you go.

On satellite there are four groups of frequencies:

vertical high, vertical low, horizontal high, horizontal low.

A single cable can only supply one of those groups at a time to a sky box

So it would work if both boxes were on a channel in the same frequency group.

It will not work if the boxes are on channels on different groups.

Which is why sky+hd boxes have two cable input to allow you to record two channels at the same time. ..so to do what you say you want to do you need at least two cable connections from your dish, one for each box. ..(in single feed mode), 

SkyQ boxes and LNBs only use two groups vertical and horizontal. Some receivers and LNBs can use "unicable" which do allow all four groups down one cable. .

Edited by satandpcguy
  • Like 1

Is there not enough space on the box for you both to record the programs you want to watch? You can then watch your stuff when Mrs AWL isn't  watching hers & vice versa. My virgin V6 boxes & the tivos all have plenty of space for us to record what we want.  

Or are you watching  in separate rooms?

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

In your subject header I see HD and in your post I see the word Scart the two do not go together as scart will not carry HD.

I would have expected HDMI to be used to carry HD programs.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

He likes his TV !

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Hi all. Thank you for your various inputs.

My intention is not for viewing from both TV's at the same time in different locations  but the Sky boxes would be simply independent storage mediums for the individual types of programs.

I have spoken with a local independent TV/Sky engineer in the last short while and he sees the only issue being that there would be a need for a 'Mirror' Viewing Card from Sky.

My TV/TV's work independently of the Sky box because I have elected to have it that way;I have never ever used a Sky remote or any other type of multi functional device for controlling additional devices.

The arm that projects forward below the dish has Four connection points;two are occupied and two are free.

The local engineer chap said that he would do the work for circa £60. 00 

It would appear that the correct way would be a second subscription for the 'Mirror Card' £12. 00 per month for eighteen months for the additional box (effectively a new contract without the various packages).

If I elected for the 'Mirror Card' I would then be having to ring Sky and transfer the data that is held on each individual card over onto the card that is held in the other box before I could watch whatever is stored on the hard-drive.

The truth of it all is that Sky no longer produce the Sky+HD box and want everyone on the 'Q' box at additional cost to any existing contract.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Have you considered a Freesat box?

Regards, David

Just now, David Park said:

Have you considered a Freesat box?

Hi David. What is a FreeSat box and what subscription is there so that it can be used ?

What connections/ports are necessary on the TV so as it will work without interfering with with the Sky+HD set-up ?

Freesat, clue is in it's name no subscription.

Sky dish in and out to TV just like a Sky box.

Regards, David

2 minutes ago, David Park said:

Freesat, clue is in it's name no subscription.

Sky dish in and out to TV just like a Sky box.

Hi again David. I assume that I would need and additional Satellite dish !!

Mine is using a Sky dish.

Regards, David

44 minutes ago, David Park said:

Mine is using a Sky dish.

Hi David. Is that a Sky dish that is already serving a Sky box  ?

I guess that the content that I am interested in is on Sky Sport channels 410 & 411 means that I would need to retain a Sky subscription even retaining the original one plus a 'Mirror Card'.

This is getting to be a bit of a headache and all for something that at first would be easily sorted out.

I have a Smart TV with Freesat tuner built in.

Regards, David

41 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi David. Is that a Sky dish that is already serving a Sky box  ?

I guess that the content that I am interested in is on Sky Sport channels 410 & 411 means that I would need to retain a Sky subscription even retaining the original one plus a 'Mirror Card'.

This is getting to be a bit of a headache and all for something that at first would be easily sorted out.

The main reason I stay with Sky is to watch cricket and rugby etc.  We don't buy films.  If I just wanted ordinary channels on satellite, I think I'd get a Humax Freesat receiver.  Foxstat or something like that, because you can record and time shift like Sky but no subs to pay.      :)

John.

Edited by Leedslad

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

9 hours ago, satandpcguy said:

On satellite there are four groups of frequencies:

vertical high, vertical low, horizontal high, horizontal low.

A single cable can only supply one of those groups at a time to a sky box

So it would work if both boxes were on a channel in the same frequency group.

It will not work if the boxes are on channels on different groups.

Which is why sky+hd boxes have two cable input to allow you to record two channels at the same time. ..so to do what you say you want to do you need at least two cable connections from your dish, one for each box. ..(in single feed mode), 

SkyQ boxes and LNBs only use two groups vertical and horizontal. Some receivers and LNBs can use "unicable" which do allow all four groups down one cable. .

Nearly? Two frequency bands and two polarisations per band.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

12 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Nearly? Two frequency bands and two polarisations per band.

Two frequency bands and two polarisations per band which give you four groups of frequencies. ...like i said. ..

4 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

It would appear that the correct way would be a second subscription for the 'Mirror Card' £12. 00 per month for eighteen months for the additional box (effectively a new contract without the various packages).

If I elected for the 'Mirror Card' I would then be having to ring Sky and transfer the data that is held on each individual card over onto the card that is held in the other box before I could watch whatever is stored on the hard-drive.

The truth of it all is that Sky no longer produce the Sky+HD box and want everyone on the 'Q' box at additional cost to any existing contract.

If you got a "sky mirror card", or multiroom card as it is know, then this mirrors the subscription on your main card.

You use this in your second box.

And therefore you record onto the second box.

You cannot "move data" from one box to another box by swapping cards between the boxes. ..as the recorded data is stored on the boxes internal hard drive. . not the card.

But yes, sky are getting away with these cards in favour of SkyQ, but you can, if you persist, in getting a multiroom card. ..

If you only want one card, and swap this one card between your boxes, then you will a) have to keep pairing them up all the time, and b) make sure the programme you recorded is on the box that you want it on. ..as swapping card in boxes does not swap recorded programmes. ..

Edited by satandpcguy

Hi satandpcguy. I assume that by 'persist' you actually advocate suggesting that my account monies  will be invested elsewhere !!!

The issue would appear to be that the recordings on one hard-drive cannot be accessed without a phone call to Sky for the boxes to be switch over.

3 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi satandpcguy. I assume that by 'persist' you actually advocate suggesting that my account monies  will be invested elsewhere !!!

The issue would appear to be that the recordings on one hard-drive cannot be accessed without a phone call to Sky for the boxes to be switch over.

I mean that if you keep pestering them, they may send you a multiroom card. ..if you say, for example it is for a "granny flat" for someone who like sky and does not want to overcomplicate things by moving to SkyQ

"The issue would appear to be that the recordings on one hard-drive cannot be accessed without a phone call to Sky for the boxes to be switch over." - the recordings on a box cannot be accessed unless you swap and pair the card to the box. ..pairing can be done "online" by connecting a box to the internet. ..pressing a few button, and its done in a few seconds. ..but if you keep doing this too often they may block future pairing attempts. ..

I've got a Sky+ box in my caravan & house & when I go away I take the card from the house &  I'm able to watch & record when away. Some interactive services won't work, says to pair. I don't bother to do this as it otherwise works fine.  

I did buy a viewing card but this won't let you watch any past recorded programs, just lets you watch Freesat.  

Usually without pairing the card to the box you can watch and record any non encrypted channels. But you need to pair for recording and playback of encrypted channels, watching Sky Sports & Sky Movies and Sky HD channels, and using catch up and on demand.

Edited by satandpcguy

No card or no signal you cannot watch any encrypted recordings as we found out a few years ago.   Strangely enough if you get a signal and then disconnect the satellite signal, you can still watch recordings as long as the box is not switched off.