New Buccaneer Collection Drama by Newbies

51 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

You do not mention which Satnav you were using?

Sorry. Yes the Range Rover internal system and Waze.  

Yes i have the land rover one its terrible.   Never been down so many back roads, housing estates the lot. At one time you could select the type of road i. e. A roads but that feature has gone it says to select fastest route for the same but seems to send me cross country and short cuts. Certainly not good with the van behind.

• Thanks 1

Indeed a fabulous story.

It's all been said but Satnav is "reasonably good at telling you where you are but not necessarily where you should go". That's been my mantra.

I towed our Caravel into a housing estate in Cirencester once. The recovery was frought enough so I applaud you and your wife's cool reactions under pressure.

Normally we find "getting out of sequence" is the most likely recipe for disaster. I hope you soon acquire an experienced rhythm and this incident will stay as your worst.

Welcome to the world of vanning.

GB.

• Thanks 1

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

8 hours ago, Durbanite said:

You do not mention which Satnav you were using?

Neither do you  mention which of the Catterick dealers you bought the van from. Care to enlighten us?

A very good report showing you and your family are made of stern stuff! When we started caravanning we joined forces with my mum and stepfather and my wife's parents to get us launched.

• Thanks 1

hawkaye :beardy:

46 minutes ago, solarpower said:

I always check the last few miles on Google Earth and travel down the road to see what it looks like if we have not used the site before.

I'm the same 

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We also use Google Earth to check the approach just done it to check a CL we are booking for the summer.  I do use sat nav but you need discretion.  Lost count of times the Sat Nav had said turn left and we’ve nah.  Don’t be afraid to bail out.  

• Thanks 1

After having a very tight approach experience in Devon to a CL I always check on Google map the approach etc it certainly makes life less stressful.

Purchased a caravan version TT a few years ago and it has never let us down with unsuitable roads, my OH insisting TT is always right and I shouldn't ignore the instructions.  

• Like 2
14 hours ago, hawkaye said:

Neither do you  mention which of the Catterick dealers you bought the van from. Care to enlighten us?

A very good report showing you and your family are made of stern stuff! When we started caravanning we joined forces with my mum and stepfather and my wife's parents to get us launched.

Ropers are Bailey, so its got to be the one next door, who are Elddis dealers, and its a new van

8 minutes ago, Benny65 said:

Ropers are Bailey, so its got to be the one next door, who are Elddis dealers, and its a new van

Yes sorry. It’s Leisure World/Catterick Caravan. They have been very good so far. Let’s see if the sort the one or two snags out.  

21 hours ago, GB1309 said:

Indeed a fabulous story.

It's all been said but Satnav is "reasonably good at telling you where you are but not necessarily where you should go". That's been my mantra.

I towed our Caravel into a housing estate in Cirencester once. The recovery was frought enough so I applaud you and your wife's cool reactions under pressure.

Normally we find "getting out of sequence" is the most likely recipe for disaster. I hope you soon acquire an experienced rhythm and this incident will stay as your worst.

Welcome to the world of vanning.

GB.

Cheers GB. I’m surprised we stayed as calm as we did to be honest. We are planning our next trip right now. Couple of weeks time. I’m already keeping an eye on the forecast!!!

On 05/02/2019 at 10:29, THECDs said:

Sorry. Yes the Range Rover internal system and Waze.  

Invest in a Satnav where you can add your own POIs and can accept vehicle widths, height and lengths.   Every couple of months you can log into Archie's Camping website to update the unit with every campsite in the UK and EU free of charge.

Having a Buccaneer it will pay for itself within the first season.   Bonus it can re-route you if the road is blocked at some point ahead.   Like most vehicle Satnavs the Satnav in the Jeep is useless and to update it normally cost and arm, a leg and a bit more!  :D

• Thanks 1

I think you can say that you are well and truly baptised into the caravan fraternity.   When I book sites I find out the directions, but it's sods law that it wont always go to plan. Once I counted the wrong number of roundabouts and ended up in a private road and a dead end. We had to ask if we could use a driveway to turn around.   The worse one for us was when a policeman told us to get off the road as there was an accident and waved us down this lane, on we went with it getting more and more narrow, you know, with the grass growing down the centre of the lane. The maps came out that time to get us back onto a main road.   After those experiences, which were many years ago, we use the sat nav, map, google, the CMC directions and if I'm still not sure I ask on here .   Talk about belts and braces, but well done to you and your's.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Invest in a Satnav where you can add your own POIs and can accept vehicle widths, height and lengths.    

Why?

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Great wee story, one that you will all remember for years to come,  when reading your post it reminded me of my trip last year picking our new Commodore up in Aberdeen and getting caught in the Beast From the East I was luckier than you being caught on the A90 near to Forfar. I managed to get to the CMC site in Forfar which saved the day and stayed there for four days then headed south back home to Central Scotland.  

Good luck with your van and enjoy all your trips away, and as others have said just take your time and take things at your speed.

Gordon

• Haha 1

VW Touareg R Line Tech

2018 Buccaneer Commodore

Wow, well done.  Surely you’ll never have to deal with anything as traumatic and nerve wracking again.  My car sat nav does that sort of thing so I got a caravan one.

• Thanks 1
On 06/02/2019 at 08:16, THECDs said:

Yes sorry. It’s Leisure World/Catterick Caravan. They have been very good so far. Let’s see if the sort the one or two snags out.  

Having our Commodore 2nd year service at Leisure World Catterick next week, we have found them truly excellent, fixing any problems without any hesitation over the last two years.

• Like 1