Sign in to follow this  
hollies

Roadside Signs for Club Rallies

Hopefully, this post is in the right forum.

I am looking for a supplier of roadside signs suitable to put out for our Caravan and Motorhome Club rallies to alert attenders to the entrance of a site.

Does anyone here have information on where I might get some made.

Many thanks.

Rob

make your own blank number plate  with stick on letter/number or most car spares shops will make them for you or ebay

Most Centres seem to make their own. In past the Equipment Officers used to paint many themselves,including the 3,2,1 to entrance signs.

Geoff

Geoff

• Like 1

Rob might like to ask if any of his fellow members could make them, as said other club s do.

8 hours ago, hollies said:

Hopefully, this post is in the right forum.

I am looking for a supplier of roadside signs suitable to put out for our Caravan and Motorhome Club rallies to alert attenders to the entrance of a site.

Does anyone here have information on where I might get some made.

Many thanks.

Rob

You use the term "Our" I take it not not the CMC or CCC Clubs,  Why not call them and ask if they have a source for you

Many thanks for the replies.

"Our Club" is a newly formed caravan/motorhome club with our first rally later this month.

Although I have in the past made many of my own signs for use, I was looking to get some made properly, more pro like.  

The number plate style is an option if I can get our logo onto it.

I was hoping that someone on here might have been on a committee or an equipment officer, either in the past or currently, and may know of a supplier of the type of signs required.

Rob

Yes, but not known if people apply for permission, I've helped put them up but haven't known if Rally Officer had applied.

Rob, I just googled "sign makers" and there are literally hundreds of them - both locally and on-line.   A quick click on a few of them and they obviously supply every type of signage you could possibly want, and some allow you to design it yourself on-screen. And the prices don't seem ridiculous either.

As said above, most clubs have made their own over the years, but I think nowadays I'd be looking to have them made, for a more professional look if that's what you want.

John

When we rallied in the late 80’s/90’s, the Centre Equipment Officer had signs made by a local firm, using materials similar to those used for Estate Agents boards.

Have you tried contacting other Centres to ask what they do?

Edited by hp100425ev

Some councils are easy on 'advertising' and happy that directions are given, others,especially 20 years plus years ago, would pull the signs up.

Have not had problems recently. ....I know of one local authority that requested 'planning permission' for a weekend of signs!

geoff

20 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Some councils are easy on 'advertising' and happy that directions are given, others,especially 20 years plus years ago, would pull the signs up.

Have not had problems recently. ....I know of one local authority that requested 'planning permission' for a weekend of signs!

geoff

I'm surprised Geoff that the local authority did not want a Risk Assessment to be carried out at a cost to the organiser  ;)

Thanks All.

Yes, I have found many on line but not one yet that will do the actual size and shape that I am looking for.

I was looking on here for anyone with experience in this matter who could point me in the right direction.

We have some temporary signs so I guess I'll keep looking online till I find the right supplier.   I need 3/4 sets of 3 different directions plus Elsan, Drinking Water etc.    The ones I have tried are in the hundreds of £s.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

Our council does if you put up any signage and I believe police can if it causes obstruction or distraction at a junction .

Dave

The Scottish Division and a couple of centres got some made that are like the ones the AA put up for temporary events, they were expensive and very heavy, aluminium signs but steel brackets, and they do take some time to put up.

It is not permitted to put signs on trunk roads.   

Ian

When I used to organise rallies back in the 80s, road signage was always a bugbear, especially in North Wales where local authorities hated caravans (I'm sure they're more enlightened now). I eventually got permission for a THS from the Snowdonia NPA, but it was subject to approval of suitable highway signs. The highway authority wouldn't approve of any temporary signs! We ran the THS anyway without comeback.

On 05/02/2019 at 12:56, MalH said:

When I used to organise rallies back in the 80s, road signage was always a bugbear, especially in North Wales where local authorities hated caravans (I'm sure they're more enlightened now). I eventually got permission for a THS from the Snowdonia NPA, but it was subject to approval of suitable highway signs. The highway authority wouldn't approve of any temporary signs! We ran the THS anyway without comeback.

Local government in Wales in general and North Wales in particular have realised that Caravanners/Motorhomers and campers bring money into the local economy and are more relaxed over signs. Until recently Cheshire County Council banned temporary signs, they too appreciate our input into their coffers!

• Like 1

Lincolnshire council always remove our rally signs so we don't use them in that county now.

IF you put your own signs up be VERY careful not to put them of traffic signal poles. It’s considered distracting and, if prosecuted (by the L. A. not the police) the fines are about £2500 PER SIGN!!?

Personal knowledge, I used to work in the traffic management section of my LA and yes they DID prosecute sometimes. Circus’s were the worst offenders for some reason, along with “Retirement home” developers.  

If you you act responsibly, put them in sensible locations and, most importantly, remove them after the event you shouldn’t have any problems. But DONT stop on a clearway to instal them or (current) Mr Plodd’s might give you a “voucher” 

Andy