Borussia 1900

Scotland, is it worth a visit?

We were planning to bring the caravan over to the UK at Easter, spend some time with family in Yorkshire and then head down to Swanage and Brighton with the caravan. Due to our dog getting on a bit and not knowing how a no deal Brexit will affect the ease of bring her she won’t be coming with us (the mother-in-law is having her) so we’re pondering whether we should come without the caravan and do a bit of a tour of Scotland instead.  I’ve been to Scotland loads of times (I used to go to the Hebrides with the Army on missile firing camp and I had mates in Glasgow and Paisley) and my Mrs has been to Glasgow with me and she made me drive to Loch Ness so she could get a pebble out of the water. However, my daughter has never been and I haven’t for over 20 years. I’m a Yorkshireman and my wife is German but we have a Scottish surname so my daughter says ‘she feels Scottish :o‘. Anyway, we’re seriously thinking about spending a week touring Scotland (hotels, not caravan) cities, towns and countryside (unfortunately not lots of walking, my knees are shocking), plenty of Jocks on this Forum, where would you recommend?

Is it worth a visit?  This Yorkshireman reckons  it is!   I'll be going up there in May to enjoy Scotland and its beautiful scenery an to sample some of the local produce (bottled).  Try see Glen Coe. Drive up the Great Glen to Inverness etc etc.  It's great.  If you haven't visited Glasgow for a long time, go back and enjoy it now - lots to see there - lovely people too.  I could go on but others will be here soon!

John.  

• Thanks 1

I once went to the Highlands for a 10 day holiday and came back after 5. ..  Not caravanning and about 20 years ago. ..

Definitely worth a visit, we're doing some long term planning for next year ;)

Scottish surname?

There is a hobby for life😀

The Wife and I head up Glen Loth every year to visit her relatives cleared village of Tory-on no known map-where her family were cleared to Brora-where we visit The Family Estate( an acre of bog😀)then on to various graveyards to leave flowers to the dead of 100-150 years ago.

Absolutely bonkers😀but she enjoys it.

There is sooo much to see from The Corryvrecan https://en. m. wikipedia. org/wiki/Gulf_of_Corryvreckan to the Cairngormshttps://en. m. wikipedia. org/wiki/Cairngorms_National_Park

You Must do your research and decide what you want to see.

As an example I have holidayed in Scotland every one of 69 summers and am still finding stunning new sights to see and things to do.

• Thanks 1

Far too many places to do in a week!

You need a week, or more, just for the West coast! 

Ailsa Craig, Inveraray, Oban, Crinnan canal, Falkirk wheel, Holy Island, that's the first week gone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ancell said:

Scottish surname?

Yes, my real name isn’t Borussia  :)

2 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Far too many places to do in a week!

You need a week, or more, just for the West coast! 

Ailsa Craig, Inveraray, Oban, Crinnan canal, Falkirk wheel, Holy Island, that's the first week gone.

Oban, been there, 1991 if memory serves me well, waiting for a Caledonian McBride ferry to South Uist. Quite a nice place.

Edited by Borussia 1900

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

I once went to the Highlands for a 10 day holiday and came back after 5. ..  Not caravanning and about 20 years ago. ..

You mean back to beautiful Essex?😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

Forgot your waterproofs then? 

There’s no doubting Scotland is a beautiful place, I forgot to mention my favourite drink is Single Malt Whisky so a distillery visit wouldn’t go amiss.

I’d love to go back to the Outer Hebrides, I’ve been to Benbecula, North and South Uist, Lewis, Harris and Skye but not since 1993, a bit too far though with only a week up there. They both want to go to Edinburgh.

5 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

There’s no doubting Scotland is a beautiful place, I forgot to mention my favourite drink is Single Malt Whisky so a distillery visit wouldn’t go amiss.

I’d love to go back to the Outer Hebrides, I’ve been to Benbecula, North and South Uist, Lewis, Harris and Skye but not since 1993, a bit too far though with only a week up there. They both want to go to Edinburgh.

IIRC, just outside Lochgilphead on the way to Campbeltown is a Whiskey broker where they buy in part barrels of various single malt and you can bottle or blend your own. Worth a visit as you pass, but you might need to avoid driving for a day or so! 

• Haha 1

No. Just stick to the south of gods country.

No - it's terrible - the weather's atrocious, the midges bite everything, the people Talk in dialect, the food is unhealthy, the beer very heavy, too many tourists are spoiling it ;)

As a penance, we're going up solo at the end of this month for 10 days and then taking the caravan up in June for 5-6 weeks, either to Islay or Orkney/Shetland

• Haha 1

Just one HALF day in the Highlands.

Drive down from Oban or up from Crinan Hotel to Craobh Haven.

Get on the twin screw power boat.

Off to Jura!

Motor round into the standing waves 10-25 feet high depending on wind over tide in the Corryvrechan 

Using the twin 250 HP diesels climb up on a standing wave and surf the 1/2 mile over to Scarba!

Drop off and visit a whirlpool 50-200 feet across.

Drop in-spin round use the power from the diesels to escape.

Visit a waterfall in the 1000 foot deep water.

Motor to the north of Scarba and see the wild goats and have a wee tea/coffee break at the Hermits Cave.

On to the remote Atlantic side of Scarba to see the 8 foot wingspan sea eagles.

Back to Craobh Haven

Still half the 20 hour daylight day left!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

No - it's terrible - the weather's atrocious, the midges bite everything, the people Talk in dialect, the food is unhealthy, the beer very heavy, too many tourists are spoiling it ;)

As a penance, we're going up solo at the end of this month for 10 days and then taking the caravan up in June for 5-6 weeks, either to Islay or Orkney/Shetland

My mate (fellow ex-REME punter from Bristol) now lives on Orkney, he loves it.

I also used to have a German work colleague who took his family to Shetland every summer for years.

Brother in law's from Shafton and bought a hotel in Dunoon, they did ok until the American air base closed, they've now sold the hotel and bought a house, I quite fancy going up again and doing a tour on the Waverly, plus a friend of ours has creel boats there. :)

However Northumberland and Norfolk are pulling our strings a little bit harder :wub:

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Oban, been there, 1991 if memory serves me well, waiting for a Caledonian McBride ferry to South Uist. Quite a nice place.

Oban has changed a bit since then.

A lot of the places I used to go to as a child have changed. Best not to revisit them, spoils the memory

Scotland is indeed worth a visit.

macafee2

Borussia 1900.   Missiles and Hebrides reminds me of 94LR

Just ONE day in Oban

Buy your day ticket.

Board the ferry-Off to Mull-bus to Fionnphort-wee boat-Fingals Cave!!(not for wimps)-

Back to Iona by wee boat

Iona visit stunning beaches-great cafe

Back by proper ferry to Fionnphort see sea eagles-golden Eagles up the cliff road to Craignure 

Back to Oban

I have seen minke whales whale sharks and killer whales on this stretch of water.

3 minutes ago, Benfica said:

Borussia 1900.   Missiles and Hebrides reminds me of 94LR

I was attached to a Rapier Air Defence Battery in Dortmund and twice a year we’d drive to Benbecula (the Tracked Rapier vehicles were flown there in RAF Hercules), we’d often to stop for a few days en-route in Edinburgh and I’ve spent some hours drinking ale in Fort William, Kyle of Lochalsh and Uig

3 minutes ago, ancell said:

Just ONE day in Oban

Buy your day ticket.

Board the ferry-Off to Mull-bus to Fionnphort-wee boat-Fingals Cave!!(not for wimps)-

Back to Iona by wee boat

Iona visit stunning beaches-great cafe

Back by proper ferry to Fionnphort see sea eagles-golden Eagles up the cliff road to Craignure 

Back to Oban

I have seen minke whales whale sharks and killer whales on this stretch of water.

You missed out the sea otters!

17 minutes ago, Stevan said:

IIRC, just outside Lochgilphead on the way to Campbeltown is a Whiskey broker where they buy in part barrels of various single malt and you can bottle or blend your own. Worth a visit as you pass, but you might need to avoid driving for a day or so! 

Not forgetting buying your live lobster scallops langoustine etc at Tarbert ferry .

Remember split them in half with a big knife longditudinaly BEFORE removing the elastic bands round their claws😂😂

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

You missed out the sea otters!

They can be seen in front of our caravan at Kiligruer diving for crabs.

Hardly worth mentioning😀 

Missed the gannet colony by Fingals Cave as well

17 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

Oban has changed a bit since then.

A lot of the places I used to go to as a child have changed. Best not to revisit them, spoils the memory

Scotland is indeed worth a visit.

macafee2

Saw the Northern Lights in October two years ago at The Broch(Fraserburgh) the display lasted from midnight till 3AM when we fell asleep!

. They both want to go to Edinburgh.

If you do go to Edinburgh I really recommend Rosslyn Chapel on the outskirts which is mind blowing and would they enjoy a trip round the Royal Yacht which we found fascinating to see the Royal quarters up close?

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Oh good - I'm really glad Bach!;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GT Mariner said:

No. Just stick to the south of gods country.

Do you mean Milton Keynes?😂😂😂

• Haha 1