Sign in to follow this  
SCP1959

Alde Heating Pump Upgrade.

This tip is for those with the Alde 3020 'wet' central heating system with the impeller pump in the header tank. When it's time for the Alde 3020 coolant to be replaced and you are bothered by the noise of the impeller pump in the header tank, which is often located in a cupboard by the bed, consider upgrading the pump at the same time. I decided to swap the impeller pump for the inline unit fitted to the boiler. Well worth the effort and no more disturbed nights' sleep. However, I did the job myself after having the Alde fluid replaced so, I did it without draining the system down. This probably added two hours to what is a relatively easy job, due to having to clamp pipes very carefully to prevent a major fluid spillage. Despite my best attempts, I still lost about a litre onto the caravan floor which, I was desperately trying to avoid. Fortunately I'd got lots of old towels to catch the spills so, no damage done. It would have been so much easier on a drained down system ;)

Edited by SCP1959

Nice one!

Any chance of some pics of the finished job and the part numbers of the pump you used?

We would love to silence that d*** pump in the header tank.

10 minutes ago, SCP1959 said:

This tip is for those with the Alde 3020 'wet' central heating system with the impeller pump in the header tank. When it's time for the Alde 3020 coolant to be replaced and you are bothered by the noise of the impeller pump in the header tank, which is often located in a cupboard by the bed, consider upgrading the pump at the same time. I decided to swap the impeller pump for the inline unit fitted to the boiler. Well worth the effort and no more disturbed nights' sleep. However, I did the job myself after having the Alde fluid replaced so, I did it without draining the system down. This probably added two hours to what is a relatively easy job, due to having to clamp pipes very carefully to prevent a major fluid spillage. Despite my best attempts, I still lost about a litre onto the caravan floor which, I was desperately trying to avoid. Fortunately I'd got lots of old towels to catch the spills so, no damage done. It would have been so much easier on a drained down system ;)

Hi is there any photos, showing where it goes, that pump does get on your nerves sometimes especially in the winter when it cycles on and off during the night. ....

great idea to move it. ...👍

cheers

tim 

I did a write up after I did the swap back in September last year. Here is the link: 

Edited by SCP1959