Sign in to follow this  
Cheltenham Caravanner

Clonking noise after Volvo service

Twice now after servicing, and on two different models of Volvo, I have had clonking noises from the rear end.

On both occasions I was told it was because raising the car relaxed the suspension allowing a stone that was trapped to get caught elsewhere.

Anyone else experienced this on a Volvo or any other vehicle ?

5 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

Twice now after servicing, and on two different models of Volvo, I have had clonking noises from the rear end.

On both occasions I was told it was because raising the car relaxed the suspension allowing a stone that was trapped to get caught elsewhere.

Anyone else experienced this on a Volvo or any other vehicle ?

CMC, not had it on my Volvos.

Did they tell you it was a stone to fob you off … or did they check it out and actually find the offending item?

John

I've never had that.  Maybe you could take it back and ask them to kindly remove the offending stone.

John.   :)

Silly question. ..it’s not IN the car is it?

One of the golden oldies with Volvos was the rear floor heating vent scooped up loose objects and trapped them in. Golf balls were a favourite but I had a canister of 35mm film (remember those days?) that rolled in there and annoyed me one holiday.  

2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

I've never had that.  Maybe you could take it back and ask them to kindly remove the offending stone.

John.   :)

On both occasions they have, without charge,

• Like 1

I get a clonking, banging noise from the back of mine every so often which is from pebbles, I had one removed when I had the tyres fitted, I asked them to check but he'd already removed it.

He said it was common practice to check while the cars were on the ramp, the MOT chap also had a look when they were testing.

PS

I have a gravel/pebble drive

4 Volvos.   No stones

Now that answers a question!! Get the odd clonk or knock from the back somewhere every now and then, but it goes after a bit so I have never really worried about, reading this will worry even less.

Thanks

Martin

My last V60 had a low bang from the rear n/s. Mill Newcastle failed to cure it. Mill Stockton had 2 goes at it and fixed in by putting some damping foam in. It happens on the XC60 and V70's as well apparently.