Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
V8Vmarkie

Diamond bright

Recommended Posts

So all being well our caravan is being delivered to the dealers todayB) obviously before we can collect the van it needs a PDI + the movers swapping over from our current van. Whilst talking to the dealer he offered the diamond bright protection, he discounted it from £450 down to £400 I’m not convinced it’s all is cracked up to be, whilst talking about the benefits I picked up on the fact that you would never need to polish the van due to the coating, but  it can fail should you use to strong a washing detergent. Personally I love polishing my vehicles so applying a good coat of wax frequently will do just a good a job as the diamond bright, so the only added benefit the service would be doing is protecting the soft furnishings against spillages, with that in mind I don’t think it’s good value. Intrested to hear what all you well seasoned caravaners think on this subject, you may convince me otherwise :unsure::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of money for a coat a polish. Nah you did right and whats the first thing you do when you get a new set of wheels  ? You polish it !! :)

 

GAS . ..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like doing it yourself have a look on ebay etc and just buy the bottles, I use Boora Permaseal on my car which is a similar idea.

However the secret is in the preparation before applying, if you don't want to do it yourself check out forum member Tourershine, Paul comes highly recommended by forum members  http://www.tourershine.co.uk/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The product and there are many similar ones on the market are only as good as the people who apply it, I have found this to my cost.   But Tourershine comes very recommended and is a fellow poster on this forum

Edited by Les Medes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I will  look up the products, Usually use autogym or mquires on my cars. Benefits doing yourself 1, you know it’s done right 2, a good workout,

3, therapeutic + peace and quiet from the madhouse :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you already use autoglym products why not consider autoglym lifeshine, however even a new caravan will still need decontaminating and proper cleaning before applying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for Tourershine :)

 

At least you will know using them they will ensure the caravan is spotlessly clean and grease free before applying the paint treatment - They care because they have a great reputation they are rightfully proud of.

 

As opposed to the dealer who's valeters on a minimum wage, will probably do the minimum they need to do in preparation before slapping it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 06:18, V8Vmarkie said:

So all being well our caravan is being delivered to the dealers todayB) obviously before we can collect the van it needs a PDI + the movers swapping over from our current van. Whilst talking to the dealer he offered the diamond bright protection, he discounted it from £450 down to £400 I’m not convinced it’s all is cracked up to be, whilst talking about the benefits I picked up on the fact that you would never need to polish the van due to the coating, but  it can fail should you use to strong a washing detergent. Personally I love polishing my vehicles so applying a good coat of wax frequently will do just a good a job as the diamond bright, so the only added benefit the service would be doing is protecting the soft furnishings against spillages, with that in mind I don’t think it’s good value. Intrested to hear what all you well seasoned caravaners think on this subject, you may convince me otherwise :unsure::D

 

Will be taking delivery of our new van shortly and decided to have the Diamond Bright treatment at £399.   The main reason was the treatment of interior furnishings and the exterior just a possible plus.    

Our current Lunar has whatever they call the "protected" furnishings and it really works.   Nothing has stained it from food to the odd drop or two or red nectar.    Simply wipe off with damp cloth.  

The cost of the Swift protected furnishings is not far off Diamond Bright. Both offer the same guarantee.

I never polish my van, just a wash when needed.   If the stuff does as it's claimed to do then maybe a wash will be enough to restore the shine! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 06:18, V8Vmarkie said:

So all being well our caravan is being delivered to the dealers todayB) obviously before we can collect the van it needs a PDI + the movers swapping over from our current van. Whilst talking to the dealer he offered the diamond bright protection, he discounted it from £450 down to £400 I’m not convinced it’s all is cracked up to be, whilst talking about the benefits I picked up on the fact that you would never need to polish the van due to the coating, but  it can fail should you use to strong a washing detergent. Personally I love polishing my vehicles so applying a good coat of wax frequently will do just a good a job as the diamond bright, so the only added benefit the service would be doing is protecting the soft furnishings against spillages, with that in mind I don’t think it’s good value. Intrested to hear what all you well seasoned caravaners think on this subject, you may convince me otherwise :unsure::D

 

 

You've kind of answered your own question.  If you are happy to wax your Caravan a couple of times a year, then there's really no benefit of a paint sealer in this circumstance.  You will have to keep this up, miss a year and you will notice the difference pretty quickly.

We often ask if this is the route an owner will be taking, and advise they don't really need to pay for a paint sealer to be applied by us.  It might not be the best way to run a business, but I find if you are open and honest with a person, this often leads to them recommending you to others anyway.  

As for the interior protection, this isn't something we offer, and from around 2015, a lot of Caravan furnishings already have fabric protection from new, so worth looking through your Caravan information to see if this is already applied.  

 

Lastly, just bare in mind a Caravan is not a Car and the products needed are not always the same when you are working with gelcoats, fibreglasses, aluminium and plastics.  Anyone advising the use of 'washing detergents' is just being lazy with their poor aftercare advice.  

 

As always, thank you for the above recommendations, they don't ever go unnoticed by myself.  

Edited by Tourershine
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice fair and honest reply. ..well done.

 

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had exactly the same quandary prior to collecting new van on Monday. £450 seemed a lot of money for what is basically a glorified wax. I have used Carnuba wax on my cars for the last 10 years plus and it has always proved worthwhile.

 

So I shall be digging out my bottle of wax along with my electric polisher (no point in making work is there?) as soon as the temperature rises to something decent.  

 

Being spanking new the surface will be clean and ready for it’s “wax job” :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I had exactly the same quandary prior to collecting new van on Monday. £450 seemed a lot of money for what is basically a glorified wax. I have used Carnuba wax on my cars for the last 10 years plus and it has always proved worthwhile.

 

So I shall be digging out my bottle of wax along with my electric polisher (no point in making work is there?) as soon as the temperature rises to something decent.  

 

Being spanking new the surface will be clean and ready for it’s “wax job” :D

 

 

 

 

Fair comment, specially when we are potentially half the price you've been quoted.   That goes for anyone being quoted those types of prices.   No one should be paying over £300 max at a dealership.  

 

It's a little more technical than a glorified wax, but again, provided you keep up the waxing a few times a year, you shouldn't see any of the common fading issues, and future cleans should be far easier.  

We tend to work for those that want the peace of mind that their Caravan is protected properly, so they can just get on and enjoy it.   Plus they want a company they can trust, or watch the work being carried out.  

Edited by Tourershine
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:Thankyou:

 

I think if I was less mobile than I currently am then a paint treatment would be a pretty sensible option. Thanks for, once again, a very honest and straightforward response.

 

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

:Thankyou:

 

I think if I was less mobile than I currently am then a paint treatment would be a pretty sensible option. Thanks for, once again, a very honest and straightforward response.

 

Andy

The reason why we decided to pot for the Paintseal treatment which has a 5 year warranty plus the caravan being in storage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The reason why we decided to pot for the Paintseal treatment which has a 5 year warranty plus the caravan being in storage.

 

That makes perfect sense to me! 

 

I am in the very fortunate position that my van is parked right alongside the house. So I can potter/fettle/clean/polish or just sit in whenever I want.

 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...