the new adria adora 613dt chassis

hi we are looking at the new Adria Adora  613 DT Isonzo . what is bugging me is the length of it, at over 8 metors on a single axle. what are the like to tow 

could anyone give me some  advice on it and what the caravan is like after using it a few time . thank Alam

I can’t answer spefically about the  Adria.   But we tow an 8 x 2. 4 m single axle van.  We have had no problems and find it very stable.  

I personally would not buy one myself and even seriously looked at buy one a couple of years ago but put off by 8m and the weight and high pressure tyres on a single but a number owners in here including European members tow that length singles with no issues . A lot more manageable than a twin axle when moving them on tight sites .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

There has been a few threads on the merits, or otherwise, of towing a big caravan on a single axle.  One specifically on Adria vans.  I have towed an Adria Alpina for just over two years.  We use it most months and have probably down over 10k miles (maybe more).  I have found it excellent to tow.  Very responsive and very stable.

Michael

thank-you still up in the air with it . seen them at caravan show at the NEC Going to have another look in feb at the NEC show again . do like the Adria vans, they seen better builted that the UK caravans Alan

U. K. can always play it safe and go with the herd and buy a U. K.  van.   The only risk then is that you might die wondering.    

I maintain that the longer the caravan, whether it’s a single axle or a twin, the easier it is to tow. Short ones tend to be a lot more twitchy.

We took delivery of an Adora Thames in May, did have Al-Ko ATC fitted, although probably not needed as it has been one of the most stable tows I have had, and at least as good as a twin axle Bailey we had. The long A frame is 1. 3m from hitch to body and probably helps a lot in that respect.

Have also had shock absorbers since before we got the van that I have yet to fit, but may not bother, not really neccessary, it appears. - . A bad back has prevented me doing what is a simple 10 minute job.

As for tyre pressures, 65psi is same as our last Swift single axle van, absolutely no problems there either.  Did have the weight upgrade to 1800 kg, which is also the maximum for the tyres though, so admittedly there are no margins there.

I keep the noseweight just over 95kg and less than 100kg, having taken out the spare wheel and put  it in the car. For trips away.  The cavernous front locker has 2 calor bottles, 2 aquarols, a wastemaster and hook up cable in it to provide the ideal weight.

Just consider that the heavy duty version of the white van mans Sprinter  is able to go to 5500kg on four tyres I believe.

Yes, it is a big van, got it mainly for reliability in terms of build quality, (and the great king sized bed) in view of the consistently badly built last 3  UK built vans we have had the misfortune to own.

iIn short, cannot fault it.

Had ours since Sept, towed it a few times empty and loaded. We had the Alko Shocks put on but not the ATC, plus we've had the weight upgrade to 1800kg, tows much better than our previous Coachman 520 VIP @1550kg ever did, plus it's the same tyre psi as the Coachman is I believe.

I keep the nose weight to just under 90kg as that's what our car's limit is ans she's very stable with that long A frame.

Overall, we're very pleased with the van, you quickly get used to the size, and I doubt very much that we'd have another UK built van.

We have a 612 DT same length just 6" narrower. Added the shocks but to be honest it was fine before.  

The longer A frame on an Adria (its our second) means it is more stable, sits far better than our previous shorter UK made vans. Dont worry about it, its good. Adria make about 5 vans on this chassis and have done for years (our is 2012) so its all good.

I have towed for years commercially and know how to load a trailer to keep it stable. I also tow with a pickup - the longer the wheel base the more stable, BUT the longer overhang on a pickup means the caravan gets a rougher ride on a bumpy road.

Just to add to my earlier post, must admit that SWMBO actually commented during last weekends trip out to Abbey Wood that she never feels any pitching movement up and down even when we go over rough surfaces like before with other vans, kind of goes with my overall impression and feeling of a more relaxing tow.

It would seem that those that have Adria’s like them!    We went from a 2. 3m van to a 2. 4m van which is only an extra 4” in American money, but the increase in space seems disproportionate.   I think the extra width helps with the transverse bed layout.   If it were me I think I would specify it with the maximum weight upgrade, shock absorbers and ATC but that is a personal opinion.  Another personal opinion is about the layout.  We now normally caravan with just the two of us and 2 largish dogs.   The transverse bed layout works fine for us.   But I don’t think I would have a fixed bed if we were still taking the children with us.  Other opinions are available!