Volvo XC60 2 litre FWD anyone?

Rikster

It’s time to change my car and we were thinking of a 2016 Volvo XC60 but not the widely recommended 2. 4 litre model, does anyone have any towing experience with the less powerful 1969cc front wheel drive model?  Is the R design less recommended as a towcar?

I have had 3 1/2 trouble free years with the excellent Hyundai Santa Fe but quite fancy a change!

I have a 2012 XC60 but the 2. 4 version and can't fault it.

However, the only problem I found was that the R Design limits your towbar options greatly. Volvo quoted me £640 when I bought the car and a big company in Trafford Park (PF Jones I think) couldn't do it at all. I went to Northern Caravans in Warrington and got it fitted for £340 which I have been told is a great price as a mechanic friend couldn't even buy the kit for that amount.

Yes I’ve got 2ltr fwd 2015 only been out with van once  found it fine  with the r design you might find the handling a bit firmer as sporty set up towbar cost me £375 fitted by local fitter (Whitter) 

really nice drive the Volvo 

Thanks for the replies, obviously there aren’t many on this forum who tow with the 2. 0l version!

Undecided. ..........🤔

Are you talking about petrol or diesel?

If the latter, the D3 is lower powered than the D4 but has plenty of pull

Edited by Benny65

I have a D3 V70.  Only 134 bhp.   Pulls extremely  well.  But that’s the older 5 cylinder engine, don’t know how important that is.  Oh, and it very stable.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

volvos naming scheme for these is a bit weird should we say. They have the D3 in 2wd 2. 0L at 163bhp, or AWD 2. 4L also at 163bhp. The AWD is basically a detuned D5 engine, I have had mine remapped and is now at 210 bhp. I have attached the before and after dynos so you can see the difference. I know it's the bigger engine but it gives you an idea.

When I was in your position the 2. 0L 2wd never came into consideration, I wanted the bigger car for the AWD when towing, especially towing over grass, the fact that the D3 could be had in the same spec for cheaper than the D5 including paying for the remap was just a bonus.  

remap.jpg

I had a D4 FWD for 3 years - unfortunately never towed with it, but it had plenty of go.   Check weights carefully - some combinations of engine, drive and gearbox did hit towing capacity.

• 3 months later...

Recently purchased a 3 year old XC60 Lux Nav, 2.0 190, towed around 110 miles at Easter and it was great, no shortage of pull, solid on the road, though conditions were calm. I never  intend to be towing over a field so FWD was all that I need, loving driving it and £30 road tax is a nice bonus! Very happy so far, which I would need to be as we are heading through France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia soon!