Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
racingmars

Safe way of removing plastic joins on bathroom unit

Recommended Posts

Hi (again),

 

Sorry for the amount of posts this week, but you guys have been really helpful so far!

Anyway, I have removed the bathroom unit in my 96 Swift, as I have a new sink to fit on it.   However, the lip of the sink appears to be connected to the base unit by some sort of plastic plugs (see picture).  I am not bothered about the sink, but I need to keep the unit (the main bit you can see in the picture) intact.   Does anyone have any tips on how to safely pop these connections?

 

Thanks

20190127_103427.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look like the ones that just push in, could you try to pull them out, a screw screwed in hand tight and then pulled. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

As Paul_B says  A gentle drill into the centre, insert a screw into the drilled hole and pull out.

They look like these

 

image.png

Edited by Wunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi, thanks for these. .. all getting a bit complicated now, as I have drilled a couple with no effect.   however, it seems there is glue underneath as well!  Bit stuck now (no pun intended)

 

Any ideas?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try using a large drill, very gently to chew the heads off if they they wont come out by screwing a screw into the centre.

 

Some of those were a bit like an expanding rivet with a pin pushed in to expand the back so you might need to try drilling gently with slightly larger drill bits until the head comes off or the internal pin is drilled out.

 

Dont push just let the drill cut them off, just like removing a pop-rivet. You should then be able to push the remains into the cavity

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I have been a little unsubtle so far.   I have used a large drill bit and gone right through.   The outer-casing of the sink doesn't really matter as it is broken anyway.   However, looking at a bit that has come off, it seems that it is glued along the overlap join as well.   Not sure how to loosen the glue as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot depend on what sort of glue or sealant was used. See if a paint scraper can be eased into the joint and then try some silicon sealant cleaner/remover. Try it on a hidden place first but it's usually OK on acrylic.  https://www. screwfix. com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/88987

 

Dont use any other sort of solvent otherwise it is likely to disolve and damage the acrylic

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legend. .. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look hollow to me so would try screwing a screw in and gently pull on the screw, as in my first post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of your help.

 

In the end I had to use a reciprocal saw to cut off the top, then again to cut the lip from the unit.   The amount of glue used was crazy.   However, it is off now!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...