Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Buying A Static In Spain

Feel as if I've reached the far corners of the CT Universe on the Static Section. ... :ph34r::D. ... Anyway, been watching and enjoying "Bargain Loving Brits" set in the Costa Del Sol. Suppose like many on here toyed with the idea of retiring to Spain but never thought once about living in a static caravan until I watched the programme. Don't fancy the 'Hi De Hi" type static sites to be honest with Bars etc but would prefer a more quiter type location. Do these type of Sites exist ? Has anyone on here ever bought a static in Spain ? Going to do some homework via the Internet just to get a rough idea in cost, locations etc. .

Still have a few years of work to go but you just never know.  Any info will be greatly appreciated .  

GAS . ...;)

Bargains in Spain?😂😂

Based On family experience of owning UK statics.

1 depreciation is similar to the up coming cliff edge!

2 site owners voraciously prey on the innocent sheep(static owners)

3 statics have thermal efficiency of tinfoil very very hot or Baltic!

4 the neighbours are very very close!

5 you have no security of tenure.

Based on family experience of owning Spanish French & Cypriot property

1you can get amazing bargains

2 unfortunately no one wants to buy them when you want to get rid😀

3 French Spanish & Cypriot property laws appear to be designed to part the foolish foreigners from massive sums of money if you want to sell up!!

I suggest you travel a bit get a feel for an area and learn the ropes!

EG properties without a water supply are worthless in France&Spain so the wily seller fills the water cistern with a few days-weeks supply of water-you buy-water runs dry-stuffed.

Equally you could buy a static that is the subject of a dispute-how would you know?

Just tow your caravan there GAS

or

rent a property “off the grid” 

EG in the Sierra Nevada an hours drive from Granada there are unmade roads into the countryside where expats etc have built “romantic”homes-some for rent cheaply.

Forgot the golden rule-the nearer the beach the higher the price like triple!

• Like 1

I have family in S. Spain and they have an old static that we have used in the past. In the summer months of June, July & August the temperature can be exceedingly high and a caravan is then a hot tin box. Then Air Con is an essential and you are tied inside for the hours 10am to 6pm. This is near Almeria so a few hours drive further North would give a cooler climate.

Where they live the temperature is 23 degs C tomorrow. My SIL has found himself working with workshop temps of high 40's in August.

Valencia or further North would be a good option.

• Like 1

Location.

The places with climates which are reasonable are expensive because there is competition from all over Europe including Russia, Germany, UK and others. Cheaper locations can be found but very cold in winter and still too hot in summer. Electricity for air conditioning is expensive.  

Personal Finance.

If you adhere to the law your tax liability will increase compared to the UK if you are of reasonable means as most Brits are.

If you own property (in any country), you will be hammered. We know a couple who have been found to have avoided tax liability in Spain on their UK property and they are waiting to hear of the penalty.   You can live on the fiddle, dodging between UK and Spanish authorities, avoiding liabilities in both places - but who want to live like that? 

Health Care.

Decent health care is expensive in Spain. Brits usually come back to Blighty when they are old/need care/need long term health treatment.

Edited by Ern
  • Like 1

I know quite a lot of Brits who store a van in Spain, and spend a considerable amount of time at the sane site between two and four visits per year, so not actually living full time out there, but it does take the hassle of towing the van to the same site a couple of times a year as we do now. We are definitley thinking of storing next year  and spending longer trips about three time over the year every year.

We go to the same site for over 20  years and have not got fed up with the site or the area, we always find different things to do and places to see. We just need to courage to do it

• Like 1

I would have thought that after 20 years it would not take too much courage

• Like 1

Another thought to consider.

Life style!

Do you want to spend your time away from Bonny Scotland all year?

Personally I find after 3 weeks of endless cloudless sky I need back home to old grey Scotland where there are no mozzies scorpions or amoebic disentery and I can make a decent cup of tea😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Do these type of Sites exist ? Has anyone on here ever bought a static in Spain ?

Yes they do!   And No, I haven't!   But I know one or two people that have.    The site where I'm staying at the moment - and where I've spent the winters for umteen years has a few mobile homes, but rather more permanent chalets.    A few people who I met several years ago as touring caravanners have now bought chalets.    Some to live in permanently; others who just fly into Malaga and stay for a shorter duration.   

Most chalets have a pitched roof with two bedrooms in the roof space.    Downstairs is lounge/kitchen diner and a bathroom.    Prices are around 25 to 35 thousand Euros.    Then on top there's the electric charge which is metered and paid to the site management.    Ground rent is annual which for most chalets is €3500.   

Other caravanners bring their caravans here and decide to go home without them, leaving them semi-permanently on the pitch.   To do that, you pay around €1000 per year, and then pay the full camping rate as and when you occupy the van.   

• Like 1

I've just signed an annual contract (€3240 + electrtic @ 35 cents/kwh + propane @ €14 per 11. 5kg bottle) for a pitch at Camping Bahia, Santa Pola, Costa Blanca. It's not a "Hi-D-Hi" resort site, but does have on site bar and pool. That means we can leave the 'van (Swift Elegance 645) here and come and go as we please. We've had almost 5 years full time caravan living now and find that, with the awning, we have plenty of space for two + dog. P1050346(1).JPG.d284e14b0c53430c59a9928e8a825b18.JPGP1050657(1).JPG.34fc2808392c5a55f5d14f93c1d34721.JPG The (percieved) advantage over buying, is that we can move on if we want to without the hassle of selling anything. On our next visit back to UK we will fetch our recently acquired Camplet trailer tent back here with us so that we can tour Spain and France a bit easier than dragging a 2 ton 'van with us and setting it up each time.

Edited by Flying Grandad
  • Like 1

Some leave their van in storage in Spain. The storage will usually tow it to and from a campsite and leave it on the pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndersG said:

Some leave their van in storage in Spain. The storage will usually tow it to and from a campsite and leave it on the pitch.

I believe that is do-able at Camping Bahia. It would possibly be necessary for the first year in any case. We found that the management here, in common with other sites in Spain, is reluctant to offer a contract until you've been there a while. If you are here on a monthly basis and want to leave the 'van on the pitch for July and August, you're going to pay about €40 a night. GAS, if you've any questions specific to this site, PM me and I'll do my best to answer.

• Like 1

Thank you for the information and I take on board the pro's and con's so far. Did a wee bit of Googling so starting to get a rough idea how the system works in purchasing etc.  As I said in my original post just doing my homework.

I'm wondering if there is an actual Static Caravan in Spain Forum of some type. We are heading to Almeria this year for a quiet break. Benito one of the lads I work with mother is Spanish and lives in this area so armed with the hired "Brief" shall nick about checking out some of the residential sites . Do statics have a shelf life on Spanish Sites ? The climate I would imagine would help preserve vans from falling to bits. One thing I did not consider is living in a summer oven so air con is a must. Is power metered or is it part of the monthly or annual site fee ? Maybe depends on the site ? Thanks again. ... ;)

GAS. ..

22 hours ago, Easy T said:

I would have thought that after 20 years it would not take too much courage

Not the sort of reply I would have expected from you EasyT  !!!!     The courage we need is either to store our current van in Spain and buy another for UK touring, or just say cobblers to the UK and spend more time in Spain, we will probably wait to see what the outcome of Brexit and what restrictions will be in force

19 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Not the sort of reply I would have expected from you EasyT  !!!!     The courage we need is either to store our current van in Spain and buy another for UK touring, or just say cobblers to the UK and spend more time in Spain, we will probably wait to see what the outcome of Brexit and what restrictions will be in force

What I meant Les was not intended to be derogatory. Simply that I am sure you are well able to decide and act

I assume you found the GoStatic Forum?

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/?s=0ada946b0760abecb341ebd8bcbdecac

I'm in the Almeria area in 4 weeks time so will ask around as a friend of my SIL is about to open a new caravan site but probably a tourer site.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WispMan said:

I assume you found the GoStatic Forum?

http://www. gostatic. co. uk/?s=0ada946b0760abecb341ebd8bcbdecac

I'm in the Almeria area in 4 weeks time so will ask around as a friend of my SIL is about to open a new caravan site but probably a tourer site.

Cheers Wispy . Will check out the Gostatic Forum and enjoy your break. .. ;)

GAS . ..

16 hours ago, Flying Grandad said:

I believe that is do-able at Camping Bahia. It would possibly be necessary for the first year in any case. We found that the management here, in common with other sites in Spain, is reluctant to offer a contract until you've been there a while. If you are here on a monthly basis and want to leave the 'van on the pitch for July and August, you're going to pay about €40 a night. GAS, if you've any questions specific to this site, PM me and I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers FG . I'm sure I will get back to you . ...:)

GAS . .

9 hours ago, Easy T said:

What I meant Les was not intended to be derogatory. Simply that I am sure you are well able to decide and act

Thank You

• Like 2

Hi G A S. Some  9 or 10 years ago myself and Ms AWL were very strongly weighing up the options of going over lock stock and barrel and settling in the Costa Blanca Region and had set our sights on the area around Torrevieja.

At first it was with the intention of buying a suitable 2/3 bedroom property,there was a lot of 'press' about dodgy land/property/new builds;it was put on hold for a couple of years during which time I considered a new/pre-owned static on one or two of the seemingly well established parks but they were not without their issues;mainly around ground rent and ancillary/additional charges.  

One of the other options that was explored was the extended Winter Sun option down at La Manga Del Mar Menor with the then Volvo V70 +Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco.

There was another option of a caravan park just off of the A7 in the Orihuela district that was owned and run by UK Expats.

Then the whole notion got turned on its head when Ms AWL had several 'secret' heat attacks whilst we were living in Ellington,Northumberland and finally ended up having a triple by-pass that resulted in post operative issues and a period of uncertainty about leaving the UK that has been further potentially complicated with the uncertainty of the IN/OUT debacle.

At now 73 years young I really do not have the mind for starting it off all over again and probably will settle for an occasional flight/trip over there.

• Like 1

Is the ground rent expensive everywhere ? What’s the point then!

Well , had a wee wonder round about the Alicante and Murcia Region choosing these areas due to the easy access to Alicante Airport and it's a big disappointing "Not for me Chuck !! ".

Without sounding anti English it was simply TOO much little Engurland for auld GAS. Based myself in Rossales Hills quite a large urbanisation  filled mainly with English Settlers living the dream. My immediate neighbour on one side was a lovely chap and most helpful.

Think GAS much prefers traditional Spain and was advised to maybe go further South to the Almeria Region which is very much less commercial. Anyway was a fun week in the sun but the urbinisation thing in a static is not for me... 

GAS ... 

When I retired I had no dreams of Spain but put the caravan  to bed every autumn. The advice from my gap year children and grandchildren was to fly away every winter to Sri Lanka, or Thailand, or Malaysia , or Kerala, or Bali - and travel as they did. We spent a bit more than they did and found better palm thatched beach huts than they did,  but it never broke the bank.