Sign in to follow this  
wildroamer

Extra sockets

I am thinking of adding extra mains supply sockets to my caravan what I would like to know

is there a recognized way of splitting and joining a spur cable other than having to use a junction box

which you need three hands to get the cables to join in the box.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, wildroamer said:

I am thinking of adding extra mains supply sockets to my caravan what I would like to know

is there a recognized way of splitting and joining a spur cable other than having to use a junction box

which you need three hands to get the cables to join in the box.

Thanks.

A couple of pointers here and please dont be insulted, the fact youre asking the question suggests you perhaps shouldnt do it. The fact youre asking the question also suggests your a sensible character! it's not rocket science but make absolutely sure you test your work fully when youve done it.

Obvious Im sure DISCONNECT FROM EHU BEFORE STARTING WORK

Use something like this to T off an existing cable supplying the sockets.

https://www. screwfix. com/p/chocbox/54936

Feed to the new socket and when youve done, test it with one of these.

https://www. screwfix. com/p/lap-ms6860d-socket-tester/91596

Job done.

Thank you I knew there must be other ways I live out in the sticks and would  I need to get all the

connections before I start. I plan to add just one extra socket and am slow and methodical !

" Q,   Is there a way . .. without using a junction box. .." and the solution proposed is a junction box. :blink:

Why not to just take the extra cable from the back of an existing socket to feed the next one?  

NB for caravan sockets you must use 1. 5 sq mm three-core flexible cable. ( Not twin and earth solid as you'd use in the home.)

Don't use twin and earth household wiring but use a 3 core flex so it does not fracture with the vibration .

Dave

Called it "daisy Chaining " in my day.   There is no "Ring Main" in a  Touring caravan.   Add the next socket to your circuit by connecting to the back of previous socket. No need for junction boxes.   The circuit is protected by the MCB in the Consumer Unit .   Typically 10 amps is the maximum rating of the installed MCB's.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, b4bill said:

Called it "daisy Chaining " in my day.   There is no "Ring Main" in a  Touring caravan.   Add the next socket to your circuit by connecting to the back of previous socket. No need for junction boxes.   The circuit is protected by the MCB in the Consumer Unit .   Typically 10 amps is the maximum rating of the installed MCB's.

Yip did it in practically all my vans as there is never enough sockets. Never had a trip issue all good. ..

GAS . .

For simplicity use an extension lead plugged into where an existing appliance (fridge or microwave) is plugged in and then plug the appliance into the extension lead. From that you can run further extension leads to the front or where ever you wish, just route the leads under seats, behind the fridge, anywhere out of the way, although you may have to disconnect the plug to achieve this.

You cannot overload the wiring as it all comes off of one trip.

an example of a switched extesion lead. You can use un-switched if you wish

When you sell the caravan, just unplug them.   No damage or modifications to the van using this method.

Just on this one, I wanted an outside socket fitting,I’d already fitted one under the bed space but wasn’t how I wanted it, was going to fit my own but thought twice about cutting a hole in the side of the van.,..the van was going into Crossleys for a water leak repair, I ask them to fit one whilst it was there.

was really surprised at the quality of the socket they fitted, really robust with a proper cover and lead connection on the back, job done, only charged me £65.00 brilliant....

On 26/01/2019 at 18:24, Stevan said:

On 26/01/2019 at 21:31, Wunny said:

You cannot overload the wiring as it all comes off of one trip.

an example of a switched extesion lead. You can use un-switched if you wish

When you sell the caravan, just unplug them.   No damage or modifications to the van using this method.

After spending all of my working life in the industry, I would never recommend using a mains adaptor or extension lead in a caravan.

Fit a new socket where it is needed, wired with 2.5mm flexible three core, and tested by a qualified electrician.

Gordon.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Fit a new socket where it is needed, wired with 2.5mm flexible three core, and tested by a qualified electrician.

2.5 sq mm is only needed for the mains inlet to consumer unit cable;  and the 25 m hookup cable.

1.5 sq mm is used elsewhere in most (all?) caravans and - as the MCB is usually 10A - more than adequate.  (In fact it will carry 16A safely, but volt drop may become an issue in long runs which is why it's unsuitable as a hookup cable). https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_White_1/index.html

Over-specifying adds weight and cost unnecessarily. ;)

• Like 2

On 14/03/2019 at 16:24, Rodders53 said:

2.5 sq mm is only needed for the mains inlet to consumer unit cable;  and the 25 m hookup cable.

Over-specifying adds weight and cost unnecessarily. ;)

Personally I would still use 2.5mm flexible three core cable, as much for mechanical strength, hence resistance to accidental damage, as for the current carrying capacity but the additional core size will of course minimise volt drop; something that may be useful if the EHU has a low voltage supply. Some that I have hooked up to (mostly abroad) have been well below an ideal voltage.

I can (and do) monitor both my current consumption and the supply voltage as indicated by the meter shown below, currently in our motorhome while connected to the mains supply at home.

I understand the argument about weight (and additional cost) of the larger cable size, and while this is a consideration for caravan manufacturers, I am happy to accept the weight and cost penalty in my outfit to minimise volt drop and add mechanical strength.

Voltage and current monitoring.jpg

Still seems odd to me to daisy chain from a 1.5 sq mm feed with 2.5 sq mm.  But if it makes you happy it's your decision. 

To advise others to do so is wrong, imho as the caravan makers only fit 1.5 sq mm with no issue.   I stand by my weight and cost statement.

A 4 sq mm 25 metre  cable from the bollard would, I'm sure, give  a greater volt drop benefit than the wire inside  ;)

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

To advise others to do so is wrong, imho as the caravan makers only fit 1.5 sq mm with no issue.  

Perhaps Gordon is using his experience of Avondale caravans.   My Rialto was certainly fitted with 2.5mm wiring for the power circuit.    And following their example, it's what I've used for my extensions.   See my picture of the original cabling. 

IMG_20190317_114744.thumb.jpg.c7104c4698e4752868413f59c0ce8e47.jpg

Well I've used 1.5mm for my extra sockets and it is a worry from people saying it should be 2.5mm.

The diameter of the existing cables is the same as my 1.5mm cable so if the manufacturer used 2.5mm then its insulation must be a lot thinner.

Hard to tell on the photo but that doesn't shout as being different to mine.

5 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Still seems odd to me to daisy chain from a 1.5 sq mm feed with 2.5 sq mm. 

I don't believe I mentioned a 'daisy chain' at any point. Our caravans have all had 2.5mm flexible cable, the first I wired myself as the caravan came without mains electric but the rest have all had a basic system as standard, and so by adding an extra spur wired back to the source with the same size cable makes perfect sense. I believe in keeping supply cables from the EHU to the van as short as practical, and all cables as large as reasonable.

Extra socket - 3.jpg

Extra socket - 1.jpg

Extra socket - 2.jpg

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I don't believe I mentioned a 'daisy chain' at any point.

The rest of the thread did though.  

Most on here aren't competent to go inside and modify a Consumer Unit, like you are.

Edited by Rodders53
add 2nd para

Fair comment Rodders