Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Caravan showers, time to make them optional ?

We don't generally use our caravan shower except on a non-facility site.

However our house shower failed last week so we've been using the caravan one until I get it sorted. My wife was saying only yesterday how nice she finds it.  It's probably had more use than in the last five years!

We have a rear bathroom with proper sized sink and shower, I use all the bathroom facilities in the van for everything, shower, number 2's, having a shave, the lot. The wife uses the campsite facilities, for all except middle of the night no.1's and cleaning her teeth.

So very much personal choice, but my take on it is I have my own comfortable, clean, private, warm facilities, where I don't need to worry about walking across the campsite with towel and toiletry bag , having to queue for a free cubicle, anyone else's veruca, blocked or unflushed toilets with pee on the seats, running out of toilet roll, getting dry before I freeze, or drying my feet so I can get shoes and socks back on so I can walk across the campsite again.

Why on earth would I go through all that when I have my own fully functioning bathroom in the van?

Edited by MadDad
  • Like 2
  • +1 6

2 hours ago, MadDad said:

We have a rear bathroom with proper sized sink and shower, I use all the bathroom facilities in the van for everything, shower, number 2's, having a shave, the lot. The wife uses the campsite facilities, for all except middle of the night no.1's and cleaning her teeth.

So very much personal choice, but my take on it is I have my own comfortable, clean, private, warm facilities, where I don't need to worry about walking across the campsite with towel and toiletry bag , having to queue for a free cubicle, anyone else's veruca, blocked or unflushed toilets with pee on the seats, running out of toilet roll, getting dry before I freeze, or drying my feet so I can get shoes and socks back on so I can walk across the campsite again.

Why on earth would I go through all that when I have my own fully functioning bathroom in the van?

Absolutely, 100% agree with you :goodpost:

• Like 1

The main reason why we are reluctant to use the shower in the caravan except where there's no alternative is the limited capacity of both the water and waste water tanks. After both of us have had a shower it's time to fill up the water tank and carry the waste water away for disposal. Do that twice a day and you feel you've had your fair share of exercise.

:DYou shower twice a day on holiday??

Edited by kelper

1 hour ago, kelper said:

:DYou shower twice a day on holiday??

Yes if it's hot outside. Occasionally even three times to cool down.

• Haha 1

I see no reason why caravans cannot be built without showers. Some people, who never camp anywhere but on all singing all dancing camping sites and prefer to shower in the public conveniences don't need private showers.  I would not buy one as I enjoy CS and CL sites.  But everybody has different priorities. 

Edited by bessacarr425

1 hour ago, bessacarr425 said:

I see no reason why caravans cannot be built without showers. Some people, who never camp anywhere but on all singing all dancing camping sites and prefer to shower in the public conveniences don't need private showers.  I would not buy one as I enjoy CS and CL sites.  But everybody has different priorities. 

How far do you go with customisation? what is the cost to the manufacturer?

Cost savings to be passed on to the end user would be negligible so why do it? You cant really use the space in many cases for anything else, it seems a pointless exercise to remove something that many people find useful and it certainly impact on selling the caravan at a later stage, it's hardly a selling point!

Showers are already optional but you will smell after a week or two.  :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lutz said:

The main reason why we are reluctant to use the shower in the caravan except where there's no alternative is the limited capacity of both the water and waste water tanks. After both of us have had a shower it's time to fill up the water tank and carry the waste water away.

What you need is one of these.

I have fitted them to previous motorhomes and caravans, the lever acts like a switch so your water use is easier to control. Works a treat at saving water. 

B349F59E-F3F0-401F-AF04-72A50EEDDCBC.png

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

What you need is one of these.

I have fitted them to previous motorhomes and caravans, the lever acts like a switch so your water use is easier to control. Works a treat at saving water. 

0A22D80A-2769-4ED6-8EC4-BFE495986BA8.jpeg.852cda98c8c44b7dae60590cceef9580.jpeg

Strange, but I thought that’s the sort of fitting that most caravans have  - my so-called ‘entry level’ van certainly has, and I wouldn’t want anything different.

John

No ! I would not buy a caravan without a full shower cubicle . 

• +1 4

6 hours ago, maddawg said:

No ! I would not buy a caravan without a full shower cubicle . 

...and neither would the man who wanted to buy the Van next!

Geoff

• Like 1
  • +1 2