Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Caravan showers, time to make them optional ?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Lutz said:

if only they wanted to. 

You have hit the nail on the head there.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No definitely want shower in van. If buying second hand, no shower, walk away don't even bother looking. ..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TenStar said:

No definitely want shower in van. If buying second hand, no shower, walk away don't even bother looking. ..

Me too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Me too!

And me.  But nevertheless I think the option should be there.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rustyroger said:

Who is going to buy a NEW caravan with no shower?

As has been pointed out, the demographic of new caravan buyers is skewed towards older people, who have the time and means to want to spend a large amount of money  for something used only for pleasure.

Plenty of young people also buy new I know, but the main market is the older generations.

Guess what?, they want on board toilets and showers, I use my caravan mainly to attend car shows, where the facilities can be limited, so I also value the on board facilities.

My first caravan had a portable toilet, a gas hob and beds, today you will get a cassette toilet, shower, water heater, oven, microwave, and other bells and whistles. I remember when a heater cost extra when you bought a new car, I don't suppose many were actually sold without one. Today a heater, a/c, remote locking, reclining seats, electric windows, power steering, and other goodies come as standard in quite mundane cheaper models.  

Why is this?, because buyers expect them to and will go to another dealer if the models they look at don't have what has become expected today.

 

Roger.

👍that’s The Wife and I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the thirty odd years that I've been caravanning I've only used the shower maybe a dozen times, but I wouldn't want to be without the opportunity to be able to take an on-board shower, if necessary. I'd still be willing to pay for a factory fitted option. However, I do see a case for people not wanting one if they only go to well-serviced campsites where the weather is good, such as the Mediterranean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My tuppence worth, I quite often use the showers in the washrooms but my wife wouldn’t be without our on board shower-it’s a good shower and everything is to hand, why walk to the washrooms, especially if you are on a fully serviced pitch?

Also, on the odd occasion that we have been away in colder weather, there is nothing better than hopping straight into the shower if I have been out mountain biking or running in the cold, invariably my wife has been sitting with the heater on so everything is cosy-wouldn’t dream of walking to the washrooms!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the cost benefit of not having a shower I don't see any practical benefit.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank heavens for our shower. We have a major water leak in our house and for 14 days after insurance contractors disconnected our hot water we have been able to use our shower in the caravan on our drive. We also always use shower in van when on site why walk in all weathers to communal facilities. Only van without a shower was our first 1971 Sprite Alpine

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A caravan with a shower is definitely a step to modern camping. I do wonder why people just don't go into B&B and be done with camping!!!! ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

A caravan with a shower is definitely a step to modern camping. I do wonder why people just don't go into B&B and be done with camping!!!! ;)

I would not call modern caravans "camping"! Nor would I want to use  B&Bs, I like my own bed, my own kitchen and privacy in an evening in the comfort of my own space, unless we choose to have company!

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2019 at 15:46, fred said:

From your previous posts you have a 2018 Bucaneer?   This is positioned as the UK’s most luxurious caravan.  Surely you should be able to trust the shower it should be sealed obviously after use then you need to ventilate to remove condensate.   Whether or not you want to use your shower is upto you as you can see by the responses some use them some don’t.  But not using shower because you are worried it will cause damage seems to me a bit like having a Ferrari and never getting out of 3rd gear.  

just doesnt seem right,its right up there as having a number two for us-just not in the van

 

mind fair enough, iv got a lovely shower unit built into the 30k plus van, so if its there then we should use it,especially in cold weather,i cant even envisage us cooking in the van either,, but i guess all the mod cons are there in reserve

Edited by chris76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stevan said:

I would not call modern caravans "camping"! Nor would I want to use  B&Bs, I like my own bed, my own kitchen and privacy in an evening in the comfort of my own space, unless we choose to have company!

 

Canvas or metal top, still camping ;)  I too prefer my own bed, cooker, shower etc, but some want to use site facilities, hence my comments ;)

Edited by kiaboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chris76 said:

just doesnt seem right,its right up there as having a number two for us-just not in the van

 

mind fair enough, iv got a lovely shower unit built into the 30k plus van, so if its there then we should use it,especially in cold weather,i cant even envisage us cooking in the van either,, but i guess all the mod cons are there in reserve

Just demonstrates how different we all are! We seldom use the site facilities at all, unless they are very conveniently located and the weather is good. Cooking is normally in the van unless we are eating out, and quite often we cook in the van for friends, up to about 20 at a time, for shared meals in a meeting tent on a rally!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely at the end of the day every shower is optional -- either you take a shower or you don't :wub:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

 

Canvas or metal top, still camping ;)  I too prefer my own bed, cooker, shower etc, but some want to use site facilities, hence my comments ;)

To avoid too much thread drift I have just started another thread to discuss this particular point.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that the people who dont want a shower are objecting to the cost and the space it takes up. I would suggest the cost is minimal, probably less than £300 on a £18,000+ caravan and the space you could use the whole 4 sq ft for what? Most people seem to use the unused shower for the aquarol and wastehog, also finding it useful for wet clothes etc so what would be the massive gain by making them optional?

  • Cost saving I doubt, the hassle for the manufacturers would negate some of the savings
  • Desirability reduced, second hand prices would be reduced
  • Extra space, you could have a wardrobe I suppose to store the aquarol

I suspect the above are some of the reasons why theyre pretty much standard fit and long may it continue to be the case.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It seems that the people who dont want a shower are objecting to the cost and the space it takes up. I would suggest the cost is minimal, probably less than £300 on a £18,000+ caravan and the space you could use the whole 4 sq ft for what? Most people seem to use the unused shower for the aquarol and wastehog, also finding it useful for wet clothes etc so what would be the massive gain by making them optional?

  • Cost saving I doubt, the hassle for the manufacturers would negate some of the savings
  • Desirability reduced, second hand prices would be reduced
  • Extra space, you could have a wardrobe I suppose to store the aquarol

I suspect the above are some of the reasons why theyre pretty much standard fit and long may it continue to be the case.

Alternatively, by a complete redesign internally, the van could be shorter and lighter! But then that would be more of a different version than just an option!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 nights on a CMC site shower in the van every in the morning.   Apart from the water and the CDP.   The only facility we have used is the washing up room when I sneaked in to get a bucket of warm water to rinse off the dogs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kiaboy said:

A caravan with a shower is definitely a step to modern camping. I do wonder why people just don't go into B&B and be done with camping!!!! ;)

In most B&Bs you only get breakfast between certain times and have to share bathrooms!  That means spending your whole day and out and about costing a fortune in meals plus many B&Bs will not allow dogs.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stevan said:

Alternatively, by a complete redesign internally, the van could be shorter and lighter! But then that would be more of a different version than just an option!

It wouldnt be shorter by much, about 6" thats all and as for the weight, negligible amount. Thats probably the reason why theyre standard fit, little weight, only a tiny bit longer and little cost increase but potentially massive increase in desirability.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never mind the options issue, what I can't get to grips with are the people that buy 'vans with all the belts & whistles & then feel it's necessary to brag about not using them, especially items like the shower & toilet. I'm left wondering how they manage when they are at home LOL.

The only people to benefit are, presumably, the next owners. A bit like my OH insisting the carpets live up the loft until sale time.   Can't, personally, see the point of buying something, carting it around the country, & then not using it.

Then again, as the saying goes, it takes all sorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It wouldnt be shorter by much, about 6" thats all and as for the weight, negligible amount. Thats probably the reason why theyre standard fit, little weight, only a tiny bit longer and little cost increase but potentially massive increase in desirability.  

6" off walls, roof, floor and chassis, quite a few kilo's. A useful addition to payload. .... Oops different discussion!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, micktheshed said:

Never mind the options issue, what I can't get to grips with are the people that buy 'vans with all the belts & whistles & then feel it's necessary to brag about not using them, especially items like the shower & toilet. I'm left wondering how they manage when they are at home LOL.

The only people to benefit are, presumably, the next owners. A bit like my OH insisting the carpets live up the loft until sale time.   Can't, personally, see the point of buying something, carting it around the country, & then not using it.

Then again, as the saying goes, it takes all sorts.

:goodpost:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said, taking away the 4 sqft that a shower occupies (circa 30 cuft), means shaving around 6 ins off the length of a van and a complete redesign to fit all the remaining furniture etc into the shorter length shell. An interesting and potentially challenging design project, but probably a doomed one, as we all know that layouts that sell in small quantities soon get  canned.

 

The weight saving would be minimal as a shower unit is mainly air with two or three plastic sheets, a tray and a door plus a few pipes and taps.  As for body weight, you'd be losing 2.5% of the roof, walls and floor of an average 4 berth van, probably around 5 to 10 kilo's.

 

Of course you'd still be left with a slightly lower payload  as the NCC minimum payload formula uses van length as part of the calculation and all the major UK van makers' stick religiously to the minimum. If you upgraded to the axle limit you should gain the odd 10kg, maybe. Unless, of course, the reduction in van weight makes a lower weight axle a possibility, in which case you could be worse off.

 

The alternative course is to use the space for something that's either already elsewhere in the van, or something new, or, boringly, more storage. As we've always found that all our vans have more storage than we could ever need, then I can't see the point of adding more, especially when the payload and maybe, axle limits might come into play.

 

Shifting the oven into the washroom seems a touch idiosyncratic, as does putting the fridge there, though a case for fitting the boiler and a fresh water tank  in there could be made. Shorter pipe run to the wash basin, but longer to the sink. Doh! If only the shower was there too ........................    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...