Jump to content

Best Credit Card for use abroad?


Recommended Posts

We have used a  Saga CMC abroad for many years due to there being no fee on transactions and a competitive exchange rate.  Just had a letter from Saga and card provider AIB saying they are closing the card service with effect from 29 March 2019.  Does anyone have any recommendations on a good replacement?

 

Thank you.

 

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Nationwide - no fees, excellent exchange rate

 

   + 1

 

John.   :)

  • Like 3

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Santander

Just paid for an upcoming stay in Iceland.

Exchange rate 154 to £ on the bill, no fees.

Best tourist rate to buy notes is 147 to £

 

Quite surprised actually!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Halifax Clarity, I have given up on Nationwide Credit Card as despite telling them the dates and countries the card was refused at point of sale. On return I contacted them and they said despite me registering the card there is no need to, I   asked them to delete the relevant page on their web site if that was the case, they had no record of my card being refused,

Les

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the replies.  Will have a look at the cards mentioned and apply for one.  Daft thing we did for this year, road trip in USA, not sure why now.  Pound worth somewhere between not a lot and next to nothing and now all the hotels are pre booked using a credit card that will cease to exist before we go.

 

Thank you.

 

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

We use Nationwide and it will be interesting to see what happens after March 29!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's happening on March 29th then????:rolleyes:

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to post
Share on other sites

Halifax Clarity is probably the best as there is no charge for purchases or cash advances (apart of course from the interest charges which in truth are negligible especially if you pay off the full amount as soon as you can).  Santander Zero is no longer available for new customers. The Nationwide offering is good but I believe only accessible for existing customers.

 

I'm spoilt for choice as I have Clarity, Zero and Nationwide (debit and credit) as well as others for emergency use!

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, last time I checked it wasn't.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

Link to post
Share on other sites

One to consider is MetroBank. You can open an account on line and dump some money into it - they don't require you to have your salary/pension paid in or anything like that - and you get a debit card immediately. They do have branches that are open seven days a week but they are mostly in the south east and along the M4 corridor - the farthest north is Peterborough.

 

The good bit is that there are no charges at all certainly within Europe and AIUI your debit is charged at bulk rate so much the same as a credit card.  http://www. metrobankonline. co. uk

 

There is another one called Starling who operate much the same way but are on-line only.

 

Have a dig into Moneysavingexpert to get more info.

 

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Halifax Clarity, I have given up on Nationwide Credit Card as despite telling them the dates and countries the card was refused at point of sale. On return I contacted them and they said despite me registering the card there is no need to, I   asked them to delete the relevant page on their web site if that was the case, they had no record of my card being refused,

Nationwide ask you now to put your cards in an ATM as you wait in airport lounge and get your balance this will alert them you are going abroad.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AndersG said:

Nationwide credit cards are only free in Europe, outside they add an exchange fee of 1%.

 

 

My Nationwide Select credit card has no fees, worldwide, for transactions.

 

Exchange rates will be the same for almost all credit/debit cards and are set by Mastercard or Visa who handle the transactions on behalf of the card issuer.

 

Refusal of a card transaction can be caused for many reasons not necessarily a problem with the card itself and usual advice is to retry the transaction. Cards used abroad may go through a national clearance system before being linked to the UK system and the connection can fail occasionally.

 

Pre-authorisation hold for hotels and  car hire  can create problems if the card is close to its limit.   Buying fuel several times in a day can rack up several large pre-auth holds that exceeds the card limit as some systems set the hold at the maximum amount, often €99, that the pump will deliver in one delivery.

 

Edit:  If offered a choice of local or sterling (common in France) always use the local currency option as this allows the rate to be set by the card provider not by a local exchange set by the retailer.

 

 

 

6 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

Santander

Just paid for an upcoming stay in Iceland.

Exchange rate 154 to £ on the bill, no fees.

Best tourist rate to buy notes is 147 to £

 

Quite surprised actually!

 

 

Both Visa and Mastercard have websites showing the current exchange rate and historic rates.

 

Visa rates

 

Mastercard rates

 

Both Visa today and Mastercard yesterday show 155. 33 for ISK ;)

Edited by beejay
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beejay said:

Pre-authorisation hold for hotels and  car hire  can create problems if the card is close to its limit.   Buying fuel several times in a day can rack up several large pre-auth holds that exceeds the card limit as some systems set the hold at the maximum amount, often €99, that the pump will deliver in one delivery.

 

Edit:  If offered a choice of local or sterling (common in France) always use the local currency option as this allows the rate to be set by the card provider not by a local exchange set by the retailer.

 

We had this issue recently with rental cars as rented a car in two different cities and both were being used at the same time.   We had the "deposit" etc pre-authorised on one car and when renting the other the "pre-authorised" deposit took the card over the limit.   The deposits were exceedingly high due to the high crime in the country.   The deposit for the second car was then lowered so that the rental could go ahead.   When returning the cars the actual rental was nowhere near the deposit amount and significantly lower.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Park said:

Nationwide ask you now to put your cards in an ATM as you wait in airport lounge and get your balance this will alert them you are going abroad.

 

I have been using a Nationwide Gold Visa for well over a decade and they have never asked me to let them know about going overseas nor have they informed me that I need to. This is my only custom with Nationwide.

 

How can you indicate you are going abroad if you are going on a ferry with or without a caravan (remember this is a caravan forum so airports don't <really> matter?)

 

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

 

I have been using a Nationwide Gold Visa for well over a decade and they have never asked me to let them know about going overseas nor have they informed me that I need to. This is my only custom with Nationwide.

 

How can you indicate you are going abroad if you are going on a ferry with or without a caravan (remember this is a caravan forum so airports don't <really> matter?)

 

Well when I asked years ago Nationwide asked me to advise dates and area going to by way of my internet banking section from their website.

About 2 years ago I forgot to advise them and the booking via the internet for the hotel was that 7 days prior to travel the hotel would process my payment so NW declined payment.

Recently I read on NW website that they could now relax the notifying  in advance if the ATM balance check done.

You would need to check with them on ferry travel.   

I still notify in advance just in case I'm in a rush to catch the plane and can't get the balance at airport.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...