Sign in to follow this  
blondchaser

Dash cam info please

13 hours ago, macafee2 said:

y good

suggest you leave earlier and don't speed :)

macafee2

Please, Please don't come up with this old rubbish. Up here, the main road is the A92 TRUNK road, which has a 60mph limit. One is very lucky indeed to be able to travel at 35mph----not acceptable. At present, with the dark nights, travel on this road can be even slower because of the low competency of some drivers.

I strongly suspect Scottish Water puts vallium  in the water as many drivers drive in the same manner as they wander round supermarkets.

The majority of speed limits in this country are far too low and seem set to embrace the incompetent driver.

I have much better things to do with my time than crawl along roads behind the ugliest looking vehicles ever produced.

• Like 1

Hi blondchaser,

I've just bought a Nextbase 412GW but not fitted it yet.   I can confirm the speed stamp setting can be switched off in the settings menu so it won't show up on recordings,  also the microphone can be switched off.  

I bought it from John Lewis, online.   It is a few quid cheaper than the 312GW and because it's from JL it comes with a 2 year warranty.   It was £94. 99.

Halfords only do 1 year warranty.

The spec. puts it slightly ahead of the 312 but I think the 312 is dearer because it seems more popular, but I could be wrong.

I also bought a Sandisk High Endurance micro SD card from Currys.   After some research the High Endurance seemed to be the best option as it can handle overwriting better than others.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, blondchaser said:

Please, Please don't come up with this old rubbish. Up here, the main road is the A92 TRUNK road, which has a 60mph limit. One is very lucky indeed to be able to travel at 35mph----not acceptable. At present, with the dark nights, travel on this road can be even slower because of the low competency of some drivers.

I strongly suspect Scottish Water puts vallium  in the water as many drivers drive in the same manner as they wander round supermarkets.

The majority of speed limits in this country are far too low and seem set to embrace the incompetent driver.

I have much better things to do with my time than crawl along roads behind the ugliest looking vehicles ever produced.

That behaviour isn't limited to Scotland.

Here in the rural Midlands, the default seems to be a heady 45mph - and a lot of those drivers "leading" the queue don't seem to slow down for 40 or 30 limits. Irritates me (and I am far from perfect, as my licence has attested to).

• Like 1

My advice would be not to waste your money on expensive dashcams, they're a device where cost doesn't always reflect quality and they're virtually all Chinese imports badged up for different sellers.

The prime requirement is always image quality and this depends on the best imaging chip. The best chips on the market ATM are Sony Exmor (sometimes called "Starvis") CMOS chips. You should therefore look for a camera that uses these chips. The image from these chips is extraordinary, especially in low light conditions.

Here are a couple of links to Exmor chip cameras direct from China, I've never tested one of these cameras but Xiaomi are very good quality Chinese manufacturers so they should be excellent.

https://www. banggood. com/XIAOMI-70MAI-Smart-Car-DVR-English-Version-1080P-130-Degree-Wide-Angle-IMX323-Sensor-Voice-Control-p-1273251. html?rmmds=search&ID=521090&cur_warehouse=CN

https://www. banggood. com/XIAOMI-70mai-Pro-English-Russian-Version-1944P-HD-Car-DVR-Camera-Dash-Cam-SONY-IMX335-140-Degree-FOV-p-1367394. html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto&ID=47935&cur_warehouse=CN

The banggood. com cameras in the links don't have GPS so won't record speed or location, however they are a good price.

The future?

Soon every new car will be equipped with GPS, reversing cameras and lane changing technology which uses forward looking cameras so it will not be a major step to tie it all together with a recording unit/onboard computer to gather all the info and use it to enable 'smart' roads to control your speed and report /record any misdemeanours. Big brother WILL be watching!

• Like 1

I've got a Car Recorder.  

Bought off amazon for for about £20. Works perfectly well. Have a decent sd in it. Was easy as to install. Picture quality is good. Its all you need.  

It ALL depends on what exactly you want a dash cam for.  If you wish to record your journey and view it later then perhaps a hi definition camera is what you want. However if (like me) you just want it as a means of proving to an insurance company what ACTUALLY happened in the event of a collision then something a lot cheaper will do the job. It’s not necessary to have super high definition for that,it  just needs to be good enough to show the actions of others

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The road toad said:

The banggood. com cameras in the links don't have GPS so won't record speed or location, however they are a good price.

I think you'll find that the second one has an optional GPS module available.

On a tv program there was allegedly a speeding taxi driver who caused an accident, he said he didn't and the dash cam showed he was neither speeding or the cause of the accident.

I prefer a dash cam that shows my speed 

Nextbase front&back fitted by me 18 months use hassle free.

Buy your SD cards from Tesco Asda Curry s etc as the eBay junk cannot cope with simultaneous delete record speed.

31 minutes ago, ancell said:

Nextbase front&back fitted by me 18 months use hassle free.

Buy your SD cards from Tesco Asda Curry s etc as the eBay junk cannot cope with simultaneous delete record speed.

+1

I found that out the hard way! Nextbase are VERY critical as to the card you use. I THOUGHT I had a genuine Sandisk “class 10” card but it simply wouldn’t overwrite. Got another from Amazon (link provided by Nextbase!)  It now overwrites with no problem at all.  I don’t know if Other makes are as critical, but it’s worth getting your SD card from a reputable supplier (like I did SECOND time around)

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

+1

I found that out the hard way! Nextbase are VERY critical as to the card you use. I THOUGHT I had a genuine Sandisk “class 10” card but it simply wouldn’t overwrite. Got another from Amazon (link provided by Nextbase!)  It now overwrites with no problem at all.  I don’t know if Other makes are as critical, but it’s worth getting your SD card from a reputable supplier (like I did SECOND time around)

Andy

If it was a genuine Sandisk card I doubt there would have been a problem Andy. The trouble is there are a lot of forgeries about and they're VERY convincing, even the retail packaging can be impossible to distinguish from the genuine article. I've had a couple of Kingston forgeries and didn't realise until I had problems and checked serial numbers via Kingston - they were fakes. As you say, buy from a reliable source. I  use 7dayshop for memory cards these days, reputable supplier but with discounted prices.

I had problems with a 32 sandisk sd card bought cheaply from the internet, I bought a replacement from Tesco and it works fine, when I bought this mio dashcam I bought a new sd (from Tesco) for the glovebox, this just incase I wanted to save evidence on the old one while on holiday.

I bought the better half a Nextbase 612GW dash cam for Christmas, from Halfords, it records 2 files simultaneously, one in 4K with all the info like GPS & speed and the other in 720p which is just the video file, also has 150 degree viewing angle.

The 720p video file can be downloaded by WiFi from the unit while still mounted in the car direct to your mobile with an android or IOS app from Nexbase (still not sure why though)

However the 4k videos are amazing quality, but the downside it recommended you need a minimum 64Gb Micro SD card with a USH speed of 30FPS, speed class U3 or V30 write speed, I tried a class 10 which I use for my digital camera but the playback had some buffering.

Halfords were charging £80 for the compatible 64Gb U3 micro SD card which is way over the top, I bought one from MyMemory for less than £30, as others have said above there are plenty of fake cards for sale so you need to buy from a reputable seller.  

At £186 plus whatever you pay for the SD card is a lot of money for a dash cam, but the 4K video playback quality is amazing when played back on a large screen TV