Sign in to follow this  
John_b_45

Swift Caravan - Carrying Cycles

Soon I will be downsizing to a Swift Eccles 480 2 berth.   Looking forward to being able to get on pitches and through tiny villages more easily on our European exodus each year!

Apart from size one of our reasons for changing has been the bike rack carrying capacity of Swift caravans.  

However. .............!

I've joined "Swift Talk" and posted the following earlier today.  

I would welcome any input from fellow members of this forum.  

"Just looking for some re-assurance really.  

My soon to arrive Eccles 480 (2019) will, of course, have cycle rack mounting points on the rear.   We would like to carry two cycles, combined weight around 27kg plus the rack weight.

I've caravanned for many years and understand the implications of loading and "pendulum" issues, nose weights etc. .  

Of course adding weight to the front of the van will balance the cycles but not the preferred way to maintain stability. I think my new van comes with the spare wheel in the front locker so not expecting the nose weight to be light! (Can anyone confirm spare position please).  One may assume that by adding cycle rack mounting Swift feel  they do not present a safety/stability issue when correctly loaded.

I'm just curious to read what the experiences of others has been using cycle racks.   I suspect that the van length will also be a factor and any views from those with a Challenger or Eccles 480 especially useful.   I have specified an upgrade to 1500 kg so MTPLM will not be a problem and my Santa Fe has the power and weight to more than cope.   

I have specified ATC for the new van which brings a little comfort of course! 

My first post in this Forum - hopefully not my last.   I've followed discussions for a while but hopefully very soon as a delighted Swift owner.

Many thanks in anticipation for any views expressed by members with first hand experience".

Grateful for any comments that address the above.  

• Like 1

What have you uprated your MTPLM from?  (As in how much ADDITIONAL payload does that upgrade get you) 

Don't forget that ANY addition from basic as-it-leaves-the-factory spec (leisure battery and motor mover being prime examples, also the ATC you have specified) are NOT included in the MIRO so their weight eats into the available payload.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

What have you uprated your MTPLM from?  (As in how much ADDITIONAL payload does that upgrade get you) 

Don't forget that ANY addition from basic as-it-leaves-the-factory spec (leisure battery and motor mover being prime examples, also the ATC you have specified) are NOT included in the MIRO so their weight eats into the available payload.

Andy

Perhaps you have not read properly what I wrote!  

"I have specified an upgrade to 1500 kg so MTPLM will not be a problem"

I'm sure your advice is kindly meant of course.  

Now, back to contributions from those members who have something to say that helps with the topic focus.

In answer to your question Mr Plodd it would appear that the additional payload will give an extra 116 Kg (1384kg original mtplm)

37 minutes ago, Lockin said:

In answer to your question Mr Plodd it would appear that the additional payload will give an extra 116 Kg (1384kg original mtplm)

Thanks, that’s a VERY decent upgrade indeed 

Andy

I've been towing with bikes on the back of my 2017 Swift conqueror 570, its 24' 7" from memory, and the bikes weigh around 29kg, the rack around 10kg.

I've had zero towing issues, but I have to put a lot of my allowance up front to get a 85kg NW.

54 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

I've been towing with bikes on the back of my 2017 Swift conqueror 570, its 24' 7" from memory, and the bikes weigh around 29kg, the rack around 10kg.

I've had zero towing issues, but I have to put a lot of my allowance up front to get a 85kg NW.

That's really useful to know - thanks.   I currently tow at around 90 kg to 95kg.   I intend to pop the spare in the front locker (if it's not already sited there - still waiting for an answer to that question) and run with NW close to 100 kg.   There's a saving of 6 kg by removing the ridiculous AlKo spare carrier as a bonus but not needed.

One of the reasons for moving to this van was the payload which is 248 kg.   That gives me plenty of scope to shift stuff around for a best balance.  

The van is 2' 9" shorter than your 570 (taking your figure from memory) which I'm hoping will be a small advantage too.   

I have towed many thousands of miles  (probably 20+) with a rear mounted bike rack without any problems. My current van is unsuitable and for the last 7 years we have been carrying them on the  roof. New van on order and cant wait to get back to a rear mounted rack.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this